PDA

View Full Version : Lean beef 95/5. Good for cutting?

Jinkies
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Just started eating some of it today and boy is it delicious when seasoned right.

I'm going to be eating 2+ pounds of this meat a day while im on my cut and wanted to see the experts opinions on that much of this type of meat. Its around 500 calories a pound or so and I was trying to keep my calories low but with no carbs and im running a ketogenic diet I figured it would be alright.

Anyone have any say on if this is okay or not.

greekboy80
03-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Its great for cutting or bulking!

krboyd7
03-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Its great for cutting or bulking!

I agree.

Great source of protein and nice n lean. I am eating lots at the moment.It makes a change from chicken.

RedSpikeyThing
03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
As long as you don't go over your caloric intake, I don't see a problem. And beef is good :)

McIrish
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Just started eating some of it today and boy is it delicious when seasoned right.

I'm going to be eating 2+ pounds of this meat a day while im on my cut and wanted to see the experts opinions on that much of this type of meat. Its around 500 calories a pound or so and I was trying to keep my calories low but with no carbs and im running a ketogenic diet I figured it would be alright.

Anyone have any say on if this is okay or not.

Haha Jinkies, wtf kind of cut eats two lbs of meat a day? You must have killer metabolism!

Second, if you're within caloric restrictions, the cut will go fine, especially since you're working on a ketogenic diet. I would worry more about getting enough vitamins/minerals in your diet outside of simple macro concerns (eg., yes, you will have adequate protein/fat, but will you have any phytonutrients, etc.?). Also, that's a lot of red meat to be consuming, especially for an extended period of time. I would replace some with fishy friends.

cassio
03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I personally have a problem eating red meat... i have a good metabolic rate, but when i eat beef I get constipated and i feel like my body is having a hell of a time processing anything when i eat red meat.... i haven't hadred meat in about 4 weeks and i have been noticing good lines and cuts in my muscles
that weren't there when i ate the red stuff.....

... although i truly miss med rare steak and beef jerky :(

ArchAngel777
03-06-2007, 10:55 AM
95/5 is pretty good overall. However, lean chicken is better overall, in my opinion. Well, perhaps better isn't the right word, maybe they both compliment each other. Even though 95/5 gives the appearance of being lean, it really isn't that lean. Sure, it is far leaner than say, your average 74/26, but it is still far from lean. I believe 93/7 is 50% fat, 50% protein in terms of actual calories, so I imagine 95/5 would be 40% fat, 60% protein or somewhere around there. Chicken, on the other hand, can be nearly 100% protein.

When I prepare chicken breasts, the package says 110 calories, 10 from fat. However, before cooking them I thaw them out and cut every peice of visiable fat off of them. I loose a bit of meat, but it is well worth it. I am not scared of the fat BTW, I just don't like the look, taste and texture of it on my chicken. Point being is this. Chicken prepared is 99% Protein and 95/5Ground Beef is 60% protein. You can eat a lot more chicken AND have room for fatty additives, like ranch dressing, or cheese, or who knows what. With a hamburger, you have to limit what you put on it, because the patty itself already contains a good ammount of fat.

Jinkies
03-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Theres not a nutrition listing but how much fat/calories do yall think are in 1.23 slab of ground beef.

To get just the meat down on my diet ive been eating alot of ketchup along with it and koolaid has become a godsend.

I'll get some lean chicken, I think ill mix it up and eat beef one meal and chicken another, I know its alot of red meat but its helping me make it through this diet with the low carbs.

Optimum08
03-06-2007, 09:31 PM
hopefully you not making koolaid the actual way your supposed to because that means your drinking 1-2 cups of sugar, plus the ketchup (depending on how much you use) is mainly made up of high fructose corn syrup. not the best stuff for a cut.

greekboy80
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
95/5 is pretty good overall. However, lean chicken is better overall, in my opinion. Well, perhaps better isn't the right word, maybe they both compliment each other. Even though 95/5 gives the appearance of being lean, it really isn't that lean. Sure, it is far leaner than say, your average 74/26, but it is still far from lean. I believe 93/7 is 50% fat, 50% protein in terms of actual calories, so I imagine 95/5 would be 40% fat, 60% protein or somewhere around there. Chicken, on the other hand, can be nearly 100% protein.

When I prepare chicken breasts, the package says 110 calories, 10 from fat. However, before cooking them I thaw them out and cut every peice of visiable fat off of them. I loose a bit of meat, but it is well worth it. I am not scared of the fat BTW, I just don't like the look, taste and texture of it on my chicken. Point being is this. Chicken prepared is 99% Protein and 95/5Ground Beef is 60% protein. You can eat a lot more chicken AND have room for fatty additives, like ranch dressing, or cheese, or who knows what. With a hamburger, you have to limit what you put on it, because the patty itself already contains a good ammount of fat.

Yo man, you sure about your calculations? I calculated that the 95/5 lean beef has per pound, 96 grams of protein, and 16 grams of fat. Stated on this site(below), it says, 95% lean 5% Fat.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21bo.html

***EDIT***

After further investigation it does say that per percentage it is 67% meat, 33% fat...So my man above was right!

Anyway, You should probably try to eat all sorts of diffrent types of lean meats from Fish, poultry to Beef. They all have diffrent qualities that everyone should have in their diet...

Enjoy the beef, its whats for dinner! :rolleyes:

Jinkies
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Seems that the meet is okay but there are obvious better choices to pick for the goals I want so im going to rethink it.

Stumprrp
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
the "fat" in red meat is healthy fats and beef IMO is far superior to chicken, eat away jinkies.

Holto
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I personally have a problem eating red meat... i have a good metabolic rate, but when i eat beef I get constipated and i feel like my body is having a hell of a time processing anything when i eat red meat.... i haven't hadred meat in about 4 weeks and i have been noticing good lines and cuts in my muscles
that weren't there when i ate the red stuff.....

... although i truly miss med rare steak and beef jerky :(

If you are seeing new cuts it's because your overall caloric intake has changed. There is nothing magical about taking red meat out of your diet.

Max Thunder
03-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Why would you avoid the beef fat. You're on a ketogenic diet, you're using fat as fuel!

Protein shouldn't make more than about 60% of your calories, otherwise your might as well eat carbs and spare your body from metabolizing all that protein. Plus, fatter cuts are usually cheaper.

Jeffreyk
03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
flank steak!!!!!!!!1

ArchAngel777
03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Why would you avoid the beef fat. You're on a ketogenic diet, you're using fat as fuel!

Protein shouldn't make more than about 60% of your calories, otherwise your might as well eat carbs and spare your body from metabolizing all that protein. Plus, fatter cuts are usually cheaper.

Ketogenic diet's are far overrated. Basically, as long as you get your protein and healthy fat requirements, the rest is just details for the most part in ANY diet. When you go Keto or not, the overall calories STILL matter. When you don't watch your fat intake, you will have a calorie surplus and then what is Keto going to do for you?

A lot of people think Ketogenic diet means as much protein and fat as you want. That simply isn't true. If you are not careful, you can easily gain weight on a Ketogenic diet with that false reasoning.

95/5 Lean beef is fine for the most part, but once you start dousing it with fatty additives, it adds up very fast.

Just because something is "healthy" doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want and still not gain weight.