PDA

View Full Version : Medifast, Nutrisystem, and other diets: what's up?

Tsuki No Neko
03-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm just sort of going to assume that y'all have heard of the diets where they send you pre-measured food; Nutrisystem seems the most advertised. What is the general consensus on these types of diets? I looked around the forums a bit and didn't see any info, so I thought I'd ask the opinion of you fine individuals.

I also happened upon the Medifast (http://www.medifast1.com/index.asp) diet in my research. It seems similar to the Nutrisystem type diet, but with mild ketosis (I'm assuming Nutrisystem gives you more calories than that). It would also appear that it yields faster results. However, I might just be a gullible little girl who's too easily drawn into hype. That's why I'd like to hear what y'all think.

And that sort of draws me to another curiosity: what IS the general consensus on ketogenic diets? I know I see people talk about doing them, but I'm sure they aren't good for everyone, all the time. I have to wonder what type of exercise is safe to do during those type of diets.

I apologize if I'm asking what may seem like a lot of obvious questions; I like seeing what other people think. :)

For the record too: I'm female. :P In case that would have an influence on your answer.

Scooter
03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I believe these diets are okay, but you can just save the $1000 and make the food/diet for yourself. These are more geared to the rich person who has no time or motivation, but would like to lose weight. Companies make a lot of money of our laziness by making things easier. This is one of them. As for the diet itself, I've never looked into the details.

KingWilder
03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
you're basically paying them for preportioned meals...nothing you can't do yourself

but they've realized most of America is lazy, so they've done it for them...and obviously the results will vary because I don't believe the food takes into consideration weight, height, age or anything like that so everyone would be eating the same amount of calories

just a thought, haven't really looked into it though

Ritzol
03-06-2007, 12:16 PM
It's basically all about balanced eating..

It's a very simple concept, and I wish I was the one who developed nutrisystem because I wouldn't be sitting at this desk right now while fat deposits travel to my ass.

shootermcgavin7
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
It is already been touched on -- Nutrisystem (along with the SmartOnes and Healthy Choice, et al frozen foods in the grocery store) merely gives you smaller portions for meals.

People tend to eat whatever is in front of them, if you give people smaller meals they'll eat less and lose weight.

Buzzsaw
03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
My sister in law does nutrisystem and has lost a lot of weight. She raves about it. But like others have said, it works because it controls portions, something you could do yourself if you are disciplined.

Tsuki No Neko
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I appreciate the responses, but no one has really touched on my question about ketogenic diets and exercise. What at thoughts on that?