PDA

View Full Version : Grrr hit a cutting plateau

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
So I've been cutting for a while now and as some of you may have noticed from my sig, my weight hasn't budged from 175.2lbs in a couple weeks :windup: . I ordered some Nitor last week in hopes that it will help me break this plateau.

I'm frustrated because I've been eating roughly 2200-2300 calories a day for the duration of my cut (getting around 40g fibre a day, 170-180g protein, roughly 80g fat consisting of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats) and now the weight loss has stopped. Does this mean that my maintenance calories are now 2300? In which case I should lower my calories to 1800 a day? Jesus thats not much food. I'll try and post some pics of me at the start of my cut to now.

Mik
03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Have you tried doing refeeds?

Unholy
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Uh, 6'1.5" and 175lbs is extremely skinny. I am the same exact height as you and I cant even imagine being under 200lbs let alone 160.

I would cut the cals down to a flat 2000 and see what happens. My maintance at 255lbs was 2700 cals a day so 2300 is very possible if your 80lbs lighter then I was.

Mik
03-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I hadn't noticed height and weight. A goal of 160 is light.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, when I was 195-200 my bf was 30% (ouch). So I figure 60lbs was fat and the rest lean mass. Now being at 175 I've basically lost 25lbs which Ill assume was all fat since my weights have gone up. I wanted to cut down to having maybe 20lbs fat on me, hence the 160lb goal. Then I can do a clean bulk (which will be my first bulk cycle) and get up to 200lbs with hopefully only 30lbs of fat on me by then (assuming I gain 10 lbs during the bulk).

Who knows though, maybe I should just start bulking now, but I was really hoping to get rid of these love handles beforehand.

KingWilder
03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
don't let anyone else tell you that you SHOULD bulk or SHOULD cut

in the end it depends on YOUR goals...if you feel like cutting down to 160 first and then doing a slow bulk, go for it...it's your call and your preference

I would suggest either dropping cals a little lower or throwing in some HIIT...either way, it appears you need to cause more of a calorie deficit.

If that doesn't work you might want to try a few days of eating higher calories and then attempt to start cutting again

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok so I dug up some pics taken when I was 195 and took some new ones at 175. Im actually surprised, I didn't think I was making much progress but there are subtle changes. I still think that I should go to 160 before I bulk.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Kingwilder I think you might be right. 3 weeks ago I was at 175.8 and went on a 3 day eating binge which got me up to 179lbs. Then I lost all that weight (and a tiny bit more, .6lbs lol) in like a week, but have been stuck there since.

Unholy
03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Hmm, you look pretty damn lean at 175 bro.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Hmm that's what my family tells me but I guess I still have that "fat guy" mentality. I guess the love handles make me think I've got more fat than I do.

MagnaSephiroth
03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I kind of slowed down but then I made sure to take at least 6 fill oil pills (6g) a day, and it really boosted my metabolism. You should probibly take about 7 pills a day.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 09:49 PM
lol I take 10

muscleup
03-06-2007, 09:58 PM
You are lean. The only reason you should attempt your goal of 160lbs is if you plan on bulking rather dirty and are trying to compinsate for the fat you will gain from a "dirty bulk". Even still, this wouldn't be a recomended approach, but a possibility as to why you want to hit 160lbs at 6'1 and age 21? I'm only guessing here.
If you plan to bulk relativley clean, then I wouldn't push your weight below 170. It will be hard to squeeze out another 5lbs regardless imo.

Bottom line, you're lean now, but you are lacking the muscle mass to actually show through how lean you really are. (if that makes sense)

IHaveToCrushYou
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the wakeup call Muscleup, I'm going to plan to start my bulk on Monday. That last sentence really hit home for me. I need to develop these muscles.

Just throwin this out there, but what is a good goal to aim for at my age/height? I'm thinking 210-230 but I don't really know what that looks like up close (haven't talked to many big guys in the gym so my ability to gauge weight based on sight is pretty poor if you know what I mean).

DaveG
03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
IHaveToCrushYou, I am almost in the exact same position!
I am 21, 6'1", cutting from 196lbs, and have plateaued at about 170lbs. Refeeds have helped me quite a bit in losing my last 10lbs. You may want to give them a try if you continue to cut. Not only do they facilitate me losing a few more pounds, but it's awesome to have one day to eat a huge amount of food after cutting for so long.
Additionally, I started Nitor about a week ago, but TBH, it hasn't done much for me. I don't feel like it gives me any more energy than a caffeinated drink, and it didn't help my plateau. But, YMMV.
Finally, as KingWilder said, don't decide to cut or bulk unless you want to. My plan is to cut to 160 also. At the point, I should be able to see my abs. Haven't seen those in years! :-)

IHaveToCrushYou
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
DaveG thats awesome, I decided to take today to think about my situation and have been eating quite a bit which is awesome after such a long cut. I have some Nitor (along with ETS, creatine 500 and multi-plus) in the mail so we'll see how that goes for me. I think 160 will be good to see the abs and be cut for summer and then I can focus on bulking after that (regardless of how clean it is lol).

Good luck on your cut man, now I have someone to relate my situation to :)

Rock Steady
03-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the wakeup call Muscleup, I'm going to plan to start my bulk on Monday. That last sentence really hit home for me. I need to develop these muscles.

Just throwin this out there, but what is a good goal to aim for at my age/height? I'm thinking 210-230 but I don't really know what that looks like up close (haven't talked to many big guys in the gym so my ability to gauge weight based on sight is pretty poor if you know what I mean).

I'm the same height as you and I'm at 219 right now, after starting 8 months ago at your current weight. My goal is 225 before I cut down to about 210. That said, hey... if you want to be thin that's your call.

Rock Steady
03-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Hmm that's what my family tells me but I guess I still have that "fat guy" mentality. I guess the love handles make me think I've got more fat than I do.

Sorry for the double post, but this made me chuckle. It reminds me of about a year and a half ago when I had been lifting for a bit (went from 172 to maybe 178) and decided I wanted to be 'ripped' and started to rollerblade 3 times a week for nearly an hour. In hindsight, I wish I had a vision in my mind of where I wanted to ultimately end up. Now that I know the answer is somewhere north of 225 with low body fat, I won't ever find myself even thinking of doing cardio when I weigh 178 pounds. Not that I'll be that light again within the next 60 years. I'm thinking being ripped in the nursing home isn't going to happen.

Basically, you need to ask yourself if you want to be thin or big in the long run. If your answer is 'big' then you need to start a big old bulk and don't be afraid of gaining 10 pounds of fat along with 30 pounds of muscle.

Vapour Trails
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Well I think you already got your answer, it's time to stop cutting.

Do not go to bulking right away! Eat at maintenance for 14 days to normalize everything, then slowly start to add calories and monitor results closely.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah Rock Steady I think its time to get to 250lbs of solid mass. I'll be eating large kids for protein with my lats at that point!

Vapour trails: Yeah I was thinking of jumping right into a bulk so the last 2 days I ate everything in sight and am 178.2 now. I think Ill consider this my "refeed" and continue eating at 2300 cals for a another week or so, then up it. I might as well ask the big question now: Any tips on starting my first bulk? I mean I'd safely call myself an expert on weight loss by now (didnt know a thing about it this time last year) but what will change on the bulk?

I'd assume:
1. Fibre remains at a minimum of 35g
2. Protein jumps from eating around 170g to minimum 200g a day.
3. Olive oil/almond butter can make their way into my shakes.
4. More carbs woo!!!

Anything else Im missing?

muscleup
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
2300 cals for the next week. After that, eat at maintenence for 2weeks like VT said. Try to keep the cals around 2700 for those 2 weeks. Eat all the same foods you have been eating, just more of them to get you to your target cals.
After maintenence for 2 weeks, you can bump the cals up to 3K-3500. Try that for a week or 2. Ideally you are looking for 1/2lb-1lb gain each week, so if you can gain around that by eating at 3K for a while, by all means stay there until you stop gaining. When you get to the point where you have to consume 4K+ to gain more weight, it becomes a chore, so don't flood your calories right off the bat.

I went from 175 to 205 in about 6 months, but I didn't start out as lean as you. You should have good results if you stick with it. Good luck.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks man I appreciate the advice.

bhsf2006
03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
you are looking way better man...and I agree that you should try and bulk up a little

IHaveToCrushYou
03-08-2007, 01:02 AM
I dont think Ive ever been so hyped to do soemthing as I am for bulking

beatlesfreak
03-08-2007, 01:23 AM
I dont think Ive ever been so hyped to do soemthing as I am for bulking

Yeah, I'm not going to repeat the good advice you got above, but lemme just add---you're looking really fit right now at 175-ish. I can't see what you'd gain by dropping more weight.

Add some muscle mass to what you've already got and you'll be flying high.

Good luck.

IHaveToCrushYou
03-08-2007, 01:29 AM
lol that just made my nipples hard