PDA

View Full Version : How to propper refeed?

Behemoth
03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
I am on my 9th day of my diet, all perfect days and fat is melting so far. I am not ready to refeed now, I just want to when to really gauge when I need and just how to properly do it.

In past diets I had cheated FAR too much and never did a real refeed. When I got down I would try it and end up blowing the day and cheating.

I probably won't do one for another week or two maybe longer maybe less depending on energy.

How far over maintance should I eat and what type of ratio. Also, should the day before and/or after be altered in any way. How often should a refeed be done, is it simply enough to gauge one on ones energy levels. Or could one need one sooner?

I did search (not extensively) and didn't really come up with the answers I was looking for.

Con
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I believe the duration between refeeds should be determined by your bodyfat %. The leaner you are, the harder your leptin drops after several days of dieting(might be wrong here), so leaner people can do a refeed once a week, possibly twice a week. Fatter people take less of a hit, and can withstand bigger deficiets, so refeeds are fewer and less intense.

Also a refeed can be a psychological thing-a change of pace. When people get bored of something, they are less motivated. A refeed, when you can "go wild" for a while can keep people going longer and keep them interested. As a result some people dont like to take refeeds becuase they are motivated by the mirror or scale.

As far as how much, a good refeed is generally, high carb(1.5-3 g/lbm), moderate protein(1g/lbm) and low fat.
I believe this is the basic concept, but dont quote me 100% on everything.

Mr. D
03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Refeeds are needed when is observing a low carb diet, think less than 100g of carbs of day. If one is maintaining a balanced diet while on deficit, then maybe a cheat meal every 2-3 weeks could be ok. But thats only 1 meal. Only when you are glycogen depleted would a "refeed" be needed. Low Carbs plus training will get you depleted.

Con
03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
why are refeeds only for low carb dieters?

Mr. D
03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
why are refeeds only for low carb dieters?

Edit: Rereading some info from Lyle McD's boards: "but setting up a moderate carb diet with a 5-24 hour refeed anywhere from every 4-7 days (depending on bf%age) works fine"

DaveG
03-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I am not an expert or anything, but I know what works for me. When I am keeping my cals and activity level the same but stop losing weight for a couple weeks, I have a refeed day. Generally, I get almost all the extra cals that day from carbs. I'd try to eat less fat on a refeed day because it makes you feel full.

Initially, I went about 3 months before I needed a refeed, but now, I am having one about once a month.