PDA

View Full Version : please critique my daily diet

jmccown
03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
For the last two weeks this has been ritual.

Morning - bowl of Special K or equivalent cereal

Lunch - weight watchers dinner

evening - cup of yogurt

dinner - ham, chicken or steak with green beans

The first week I lost 6 lbs.

I do not drink pop anymore, only water or crystal lite.

I also walk at least a mile to two each day.

In my 2nd week, somehow I put back on 2 lbs. I have been lifting as well. But not much has changed.

This is probably 12-1500 cals. a day.

I am eating controlled portions too. I think my metabolism is too slow or something to burn the calories. Is there some way to speed up my metabolic rate to help me burn calories?

Mr. D
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
1200-1500 cals is probably way too low and your body has gone into starvation mode and trying to hold on to whatever it can.

What are your current stats? (Age,BF%,height,weight)

To construct a diet, follow these guidelines: Eat at least 1g/lbm of protein and 0.5g/lbm of fat. Fill up the rest of your cals with carbs,fat,or protein as you like.

If you are trying to lose weight you need to eat less than maintence (20% deficit works for most). Your metabolism maybe shot, so you may need to eat maintence for 2 weeks to get your metabolism restarted and to also find out what your maintence cals are. A good starting point is 14-16xBW for maintence.

jmccown
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Sorry I should have put that on my post.

I am 27 yrs old

current weight 243 (was 249)

current height 5'10"

Don't know how to measure body fat%

build: former lifter with a bit of a gut (not quite a spare tire, LOL), still some tone in upper body and arms.

Target: I would like to be in the 200-210 range weight-wise.

Mr. D
03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
well lets assume 20% bf. With that in mind you need to consume 195g of protein a day and 98g of fat of day. That brings you to 1764 cals right there. Now I would suggest bringing your caloric intake slowly up to about 2430 cals (10xBW for aggressive deficit). So that would give you ~170g of carbs to consume (Make sure you get at least 25g of fiber a day). You are going to have to start tracking your food on www.fitday.com.

Your diet needs a total revamping. For food selection check out this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

Also what is your lifting routine?

jmccown
03-08-2007, 07:30 AM
I started a log on fitday yesterday. My total caloric intake was 1085 calories.

Fat - 38g

carbs - 148g

protein - 38g

my workout group is working out 3 days a week with a focus on strength rather than cutting. I am working on a cut though, so I do a few more sets and extra reps. MWF are lift days. T and R are big cardio days, although I walk or run everyday, I focus more on tues and thurs as primary cardio.

My main goal is to cut down to about 210 and rebulk again. My lifting partners seemed to think I mainly needed to add fiber to my diet to aid in breaking down what I am taking in. Two weeks into my diet I can see the relevancy. If I need to take in that much protein I am going to have to get some supplements.

Mr. D
03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Your cals are WAY TOO LOW. You need to up the protein to 195g. And when on a cut, you do not do more sets and more reps. You do low volume, high weights. Think 3-5 sets at 3-5 reps. Make sure you focus on compound movements, i.e. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, OH Shoulder Press.

You really need to work on that diet and lifting routine ASAP. Make sure you do your cardio AFTER you lift.

jmccown
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Sounds like I am totally backwards then. I always thought high reps were required to cut. Here's my routine:

Monday - Heavy chest day
Flat Bench
Incline
Wide Grip (sometimes sub for dumbell bench)

Wednesday - Shoulders and Back
Rows
Pullups
Military press
Shrugs
Pulldowns

Friday - light chest/biceps/triceps
lightweight flat bench
curls (various)
close grip

I know, I know, no leg workouts. I hate doing legs. I will work in some deadlifts or leg press occasionally. But my lifting partners all have bum knees so it's hard to work into the routines.

I may have left a few routines out, but that's the bulk of it - mostly upper body exercises.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
No...don't hate legs. Work your legs. Don't do leg press...learn to do squats. No sense in having something you hate causing you to develop a muscle imbalance, causing future physical problems in the future. Man it up and work your legs. Your routine isn't very good to begin with. If you want to start with a 3 day routine, do this ~> WBB Routine #1 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25)

Once you get into the swing of things, you can move on to something for advanced.

Your diet is also terrible. You're simply not eating adequately. If you worked larger muscle groups (add deadlifts and squats), you will benefit from this while you are cutting. Man up and work what you need to work. Learn to do the movements with the correct form before moving up in weight. Start with the bar...if you have to stay with the bar for a month or more until you master the form, that's fine.

Your diet scares me.

Mr. D
03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
No...don't hate legs. Work your legs. Don't do leg press...learn to do squats. No sense in having something you hate causing you to develop a muscle imbalance, causing future physical problems in the future. Man it up and work your legs. Your routine isn't very good to begin with. If you want to start with a 3 day routine, do this ~> WBB Routine #1 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25)

Once you get into the swing of things, you can move on to something for advanced.

Your diet is also terrible. You're simply not eating adequately. If you worked larger muscle groups (add deadlifts and squats), you will benefit from this while you are cutting. Man up and work what you need to work. Learn to do the movements with the correct form before moving up in weight. Start with the bar...if you have to stay with the bar for a month or more until you master the form, that's fine.

Your diet scares me.

:withstupi