PDA

View Full Version : This is an amazing arch

Jinkies
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
What methods can I go about to acheiving this is the long run, right now my arch is almost non existant and I cannot phathom how to go about getting this

03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
woah!!!

pipes
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Yikes! That hurts just looking at it. Good luck my friend. I know my back will never bend like that.

03-07-2007, 03:02 PM
practicing doing bridges and back bends EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!

Sensei
03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65916

Jinkies
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Should I work with weights while ive got a pipe under me or is that a recipe for destruction

Edit: I was just amazed the that people are able to keep there feet flat while preforming an arch that powerfull

schmitty199
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Should I work with weights while ive got a pipe under me or is that a recipe for destruction

Edit: I was just amazed the that people are able to keep there feet flat while preforming an arch that powerfull

Yeah a pipe probably isnt a good thing to be putting under your back....

Personally I think arching the back is cheating. But that's JMO.

betastas
03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah a pipe probably isnt a good thing to be putting under your back....

Personally I think arching the back is cheating. But that's JMO.

That's a very slippery slope. You would be hard pressed to find someone who would agree with you on that.

Stumprrp
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
i doubt his butt is on the bench, sure doesnt look like it, but thats nuts!

RhodeHouse
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
The pipe is fine. You have to be smart and work up the size of it, slowly.

Arching is cheating? I guess having your feet on the ground is cheating, too. The goal is to lift as much weight as possible. Do it by any means necessary. Get huge if you don't wanna arch that much. A good sized boiler (belly) goes a long way to helping your ROM.

I'm fat and happy!

Stumprrp
03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
i agree with rhodes, i have a nasty stomach but i dont care, i tell my friends too, bigger gut = bigger bench! ill out run them anyday! :D

waynedang
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Pipe is fine. I started with a 3 inch pipe and worked up from there. I now use a 4" that I wrap a towel around to make it thicker when it needs to be.

waynedang
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
oh yeah I almost forgot. I wish I was a better cheater:rolleyes:

Hazerboy
03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Out of curiosity, will that cause problems in the spine in the long run? Is there any risk?

Jinkies
03-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Out of curiosity, will that cause problems in the spine in the long run? Is there any risk?

If trained properly there shouldnt be any long term side effects besides a more powerfull benchpress.

For development sake its not going to yield much but for a powerlifter it can make all the difference. I could see someone pulling a backmuscle or something straining a arch they arent ready before but if you train smart and diligently you should slowly be able to improve your arch. Guys like those pictures and the japanese have been at it for years.

Scooter
03-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I guess there's no need for a decline bench with an arch like that.

Sidior
03-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I guess there's no need for a decline bench with an arch like that.

or train the **** out of your decline and the carryover is huge!

stepto180
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
any one have any suggestions on hold an arch???

I can get into a preety good arch but its preety much blown once I start to press the weight ...either ill flatten out or raise my hips depens how heavy it is

Jinkies
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Decline bench can improve the arch on flat?

BigCorey75
03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
break your spine...

that looks very uncomfortable

Sidior
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Decline bench can improve the arch on flat?

If you bench with a large arch, training decline as an assistance exercise will help you bench more. The metal militia guys cover this in some of their articles.

Sidior
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM

I can get into a preety good arch but its preety much blown once I start to press the weight ...either ill flatten out or raise my hips depens how heavy it is

The wider I spread my feet apart the less my ass/hips ever come off the bench. Go as wide as you can, then go wider.

Bohizzle
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
The wider I spread my feet apart the less my ass/hips ever come off the bench. Go as wide as you can, then go wider.

My arch isn't quite as good as dave's, but my approach is pretty much the opposite, get ur feet a comfortable width apart, slightly back toward ur bodyand slam ur ass and shoulders into the bench, and keep ur shoulders pinned and u shouldn't lose tightness.

Basically - everybody's different in regards to foot placement

Sidior
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.metalmilitia.net/index_files/Page392.htm

I found this was a good article to explain how to do it properly. It takes alot of practice though.

RhodeHouse
03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Stay tight by HOLDING your breath for the entire set. Drive your heals into the floor and push really f@#$ing hard to stay in that position. Your quads should be tired after benching, if you're staying tight the whole time.

stepto180
03-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I was thinking about my foot position and I feel like if I getting them wide enough It would be basicly impossible for me to even get my butt off of the bench

thanks soidir for the article

bo--I can get in that position preety well just holding it generally doesnt happen---ya think if I praticed with lighter weights it would help?

rhode---do you really hold your breath the entire time even on the drive thru ur sticking point? Ill start consiously thinking about my legs involvement and satying tighter

RhodeHouse
03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes ma'am I do hold my breath the whole time. vdizenzo taught us to hold our breath from right before the lift-off until the rack call. When you let your air out, it flattens you out. It also decreases the pressure inside your body, which makes weight feel heavier. If your head feels like it's gonna pop off, you're on the right track.

As far as foot position goes, set-up so your heels are just off the ground. As you take your breath before lift-off, drive your heels to the floor and keep them there the whole time. If you really drive hard, your glutes will tighten up and your hips won't come up at all. Hope that makes sense.

stepto180
03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
ok makes sense ...but this whole not breathing thing is gonna take awhile for me to grap as it has been driven into my head to breath (hmm imagine that lol)
altho I have never trained for powerlifting which could be the difference I just train for strength not big numbers

RhodeHouse
03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
It does take some time to keep your air in, but when the weights start moving up, you'll hold your breath all day long. Keep after it. SFW!

stepto180
03-08-2007, 06:25 PM
lol i dont forget it sfw??

Bohizzle
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
smash ****ing weights

stepto180
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
aaah thanks !! I plan to!!

schmitty199
03-08-2007, 07:29 PM
That's a very slippery slope. You would be hard pressed to find someone who would agree with you on that.

Depends what you lift for I suppose. What your goals are. If your arching your back, your pushing off with the feet and using your back to kind of "pry" the weight up. I suppose if your just going for maximum weight that's fine. But if your just going for a bigger stronger upper body the best way to do that is by using your upper body only to get the weight up.

Hazerboy
03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
"I cannot say enough how important it is that you try really hard to get better at arching it is almost the biggest piece of the shirt bench puzzle."

Quote from Metal Militia's article on arching. Does this mean arching isn't beneficial to raw lifts?

smokinHawk
03-09-2007, 06:44 AM
it very helpful for raw benchers, i can do a bit more and have a smoother transition between down and up with arching

Jinkies
03-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Im assuming the holding breath technique is hazardous for anyone whose working with more then singles

waynedang
03-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Im assuming the holding breath technique is hazardous for anyone whose working with more then singles

I try to do heavy triples on one breath but it doesnt always work. I had read that Coan does all reps on one breath.

ddurkee
03-10-2007, 09:12 AM

nah. triples on one breath in the shirt is our religion. it'll never feel comfortable, but you get used to it.

ddurkee
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Depends what you lift for I suppose. What your goals are. If your arching your back, your pushing off with the feet and using your back to kind of "pry" the weight up. I suppose if your just going for maximum weight that's fine. But if your just going for a bigger stronger upper body the best way to do that is by using your upper body only to get the weight up.

no, this is powerlifting. lifting the 'maximum weight' is the goal and the best way to get stronger. lat activation and leg drive is a huge component of benching. arching, while reducing the length of the stroke, also puts your body into a better position to press. getting bigger is a side effect of pl training, but if that's your only goal then you're bodybuilding.

chris mason
03-10-2007, 09:46 AM
As Louie Simmons says, excessive arches are crap. Don't worry about it, the biggest benchers in the world bench with their back pretty much flat.

waynedang
03-10-2007, 10:33 AM
As Louie Simmons says, excessive arches are crap. Don't worry about it, the biggest benchers in the world bench with their back pretty much flat.

thats why the rest of us have to arch so we can try to hang with the best

Sensei
03-10-2007, 10:34 AM
As Louie Simmons says, excessive arches are crap. Don't worry about it, the biggest benchers in the world bench with their back pretty much flat.Wow. I can't believe he said that. I'm a huge fan of WS, but some of their opinions I definately don't buy into...

Apparently, Kara Bohigian, et. al doesn't buy into that either. I realize she's a woman and all but she's definately one of the best benchers in the world.

Obviously there's going to be diminishing returns on an arch, but most of us could, with practice, add arch, decrease our ROM, and add some lbs to our bench.

Jinkies
03-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Heavy benchers have a wide footing which allows them to preform a better arch but Scott Mendelson has his feet pushed back as far as possible underneath him and it seems to work amazing for him and his arch isnt huge

I see more arching in powerlifting and more bench competition based people using the feet tucked under.

HeavyBomber
03-10-2007, 01:53 PM

I agree with this plus I hate it when meets turn into freak shows. Excessive archers tend to freak people out.
... but that's just my opinion fellas.

waynedang
03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
So does this mean all the MM guys are not great benchers ( Luyando,Crawford, Carpenter, Lattimer, Mcvicar, VinnyD just to name a few) I have to disagree with louie on this one.

Mike G
03-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Doesn't Wolfe have a huge arch? I thought I saw a picture he posted.

Clifford Gillmore
03-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, Dave tate also said he didn't like the arch. I add about 30lbs with my arch, and Chris Rodgers adds about 100lbs so I'm going to stick with it :)

Songsangnim
03-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Wow. I can't believe he said that. I'm a huge fan of WS, but some of their opinions I definately don't buy into...

Apparently, Kara Bohigian, et. al doesn't buy into that either. I realize she's a woman and all but she's definately one of the best benchers in the world.

Obviously there's going to be diminishing returns on an arch, but most of us could, with practice, add arch, decrease our ROM, and add some lbs to our bench.

Wouldn't the keyword here be "excessive"?

smokinHawk
03-12-2007, 06:50 AM
some of the biggest benchers in the world have big bellys too, which makes it hard for them to arch, and not needed as much, as they can touch that and go.
the skinnier guys have to compensate and devolp more of an arch.

Clifford Gillmore
03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I was just thinking that, watching the Road to the Arnold DVD. Every bencher doing over 600lbs in that meet had an enourmous belly. If they developed glutes the size of their belly and some arch training, they could have a half inch ROM.

RhodeHouse
03-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Louie and Dave said that about the arch years ago. I'm not sure what Louie's thoughts are now, but I know Dave had a PR when Crawford helped him with his technique at a meet. The better you set-up, the tighter you are, the more you'll bench. Just lying on the bench is too easy. If you're not unconfortable and you can hold your bench set-up without pain and discomfort, you're wasting your potential. JMO SFW!

Jinkies
03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Im having a problem setting up an arch on the benches at golds gym, the bench is atleast 2x wider then a competition and I can't preform one.

Started working with a 4 inch foam roller underneath me and im having problems with my legs shaking, feels good though

RhodeHouse
03-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Keep working it. You'll get used to it.

bill
03-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Yes ma'am I do hold my breath the whole time. vdizenzo taught us to hold our breath from right before the lift-off until the rack call. When you let your air out, it flattens you out. It also decreases the pressure inside your body, which makes weight feel heavier. If your head feels like it's gonna pop off, you're on the right track.

As far as foot position goes, set-up so your heels are just off the ground. As you take your breath before lift-off, drive your heels to the floor and keep them there the whole time. If you really drive hard, your glutes will tighten up and your hips won't come up at all. Hope that makes sense.

RhodeHouse I've worked on this many times, I thought doing it correctly. lol .Maybe not though. This week I did very close grips, almost in the smooth. Did same wt w/much closer grip, easier and with better explosion. Really makes me think I may be able to handle much more wt, if I keep perfecting this!:thumbup:

zen
03-15-2007, 07:55 AM

I think I'll need to see pics or vids of that arch of yours.... to critique, of course.

uhm, anyway, my decline bench strength has always been MUCH higher than flat. Because of that, I have always had the tendancy to want to arch, and have tried to resist it thinking it was bad form. Lately, I see there is a new philosophical camp on this.

RhodeHouse
03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Bill, keep working on it. Your weights will go way up. Plus, you get a sweet buzz after the set is done. God bless the lack of oxygen to the brain feeling. Good times. SFW!