PDA

View Full Version : Malto ?

MRJ
02-19-2002, 03:55 PM
What is MALTO referred to within some of the posts ?

What is its use ?

What is the benefit ?

Best Regards,

:help:

Slim Schaedle
02-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Maltodextrose = This complex carbohydrate is otherwise known as a glucose polymer. Maltrodextrin has the highest rating on the glycemic index of 100. Texture is a fine white powder possessing a bland taste and excellent dispersion in water or other beverages. Increases the mixability of protein powders when added to them

(the above was copied from proteinfactory.com)

basically it's a carb powder, great for post workout shakes, exact same thing you find in MRP's like myoplex or any other "weight gain" drink.

MRJ
02-19-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks . . .

I don't see the benefit, unless one can not get enough simple carbs. after the w/o.

Best Regards,

:strong:

Slim Schaedle
02-19-2002, 04:38 PM
don't see the benefit!?!?! ok, whatever

Qea
02-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Well, I take in about 100g of malto along with protein after a workout

To get this from natural food sources, you'd need either

3.5 bananananans ( cant spell for sh*t)
3 cups of juice (fructose sucks anyways)

Its much easier using malto or dextrose.

cheers!

Slim Schaedle
02-19-2002, 05:47 PM
bingo

CBates
02-19-2002, 05:50 PM
Problem with using bananas and juice, is that fructose only restore liver glycogen and once that is full, it is unable to be stored in muscle glycogen so any excess will be stored as fat.

MRJ
02-20-2002, 11:36 AM
I understand the concept . . . of the MALTO.

I just didn't understand why one would need such a supplement if they were eating enough whole foods.

Guess it comes down to convenience, uh ?

Thanks for the clarification.

Best Regards,

:p

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 12:24 PM
same reason one would drink a protein shake, rather than eat two chicken breasts (or whatever other FOOD) post workout.

CBates
02-20-2002, 12:27 PM
To add to what Slim Schaedle says, the absorption is faster into the muscle glycogen.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 12:29 PM
I just didn't understand why one would need such a supplement if they were eating enough whole foods.
The ammount of food (or supplemet) isn't in question here, it is what kind of post workout food we are talking about...hence, my suggestion of maltodextrin. It digests more easily than "real food" and it is great for bumping up your insulin levels and filling up glyocgen stores. And yes, it ALOT easier. You can still eat real food, but i belive taking a powder such as malto is more benficial, easier, and even cheaper.

hemants
02-20-2002, 12:33 PM
"fructose only restore liver glycogen and once that is full, it is unable to be stored in muscle glycogen so any excess will be stored as fat."

I thought that liver glycogen stores replenish muscle glycogen once the latter have been depleted?

ie. Fructose will only make you fat if your liver and muscle glycogen stores are full.

In any case, the issue is speed of replenishment in which case maltodextrine is probably the fastest.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 12:37 PM
I feel like a damn salesman, but the stuff is really cheap anyway....20 bux for 10 pounds of it...lasts a long time too

CBates
02-20-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by hemants

ie. Fructose will only make you fat if your liver and muscle glycogen stores are full.

Fructose is unable to be stored in the muscle glycogen though, so once the liver glycogen is full, remaining fructose will get stored as fat.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by CBates

Fructose is unable to be stored in the muscle glycogen though, so once the liver glycogen is full, remaining fructose will get stored as fat.

kinda, but not quite. it would have made more sense if you said stored 'as' muscle glycogen.

fructose isn't stored - it's converted into glucose in the liver and then stored in the liver. lots of stored glucose = glycogen.

btw, once liver and muscle glycogen stores are full, any type of carb has potential to be stored as fat, not just fructose.

hemants
02-20-2002, 01:58 PM
But the question remains, if liver glycogen stores are full and muscle glycogen stores are NOT, what happens?

MWB
02-20-2002, 03:09 PM
As far as I know, glucose in the liver will not go to the muscles when the liver fills up. The overflow is converted to fat.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-20-2002, 03:27 PM
i'm not 100%, but i'll agree with MWB, cause to get to the muscles, glucose has to go through the liver first. Unless the liver has some way of knowing whether the muscles are full or empty i suspect it'll just store excess glucose as fat.