PDA

View Full Version : Dorm Food

dabaugh
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Im a freshman in college and it seems to me that it is EXTREMELY difficult to eat completely healthy, i am 15lbs into my bulk, but have not not gained anything in the last month (plateau). I have noticed a bit more around the midsection, but i try to eat a good amount of fruit/veggies per day. Also, drinking 3 quarts of 2% milk per day seems to be helping. Any suggestions on what to look for in the dorms because it seems like EVERYTHING is effin fried.....
any help would be great from other college goers or post-collegiate people

bigmoney
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm in college, and have no problem bulking up. I have loads of oats, PB, whey, nuts in my room for snacks and whenever I feel like eating. I also have a meal plan, where fortunatley there is fresh fruit, grilled chicken (which I take back to my room for later meals) and stir-fry.
But I agree, everything there is fried or loaded in sauce, and I know many cafeterias dont have grilled chicken and healthy food. Learn to love milk, nuts, whey because they're cheap and abundant......I'm sure others will have some more tips for ya....good luck

dabaugh
03-07-2007, 09:52 PM
thanks bigmoney, i wish we had that grilled chicken. please i need some more suggestions around the fried food

03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
check out the salad bar a lot of the time they will have hard boiled eggs - also cottage cheese is usually found at the salad bar - wow im shocked u really dont have grilled chicken? you got o a really small school?

also i ate a lot of beef jerkey

KingWilder
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
My college cafeteria has a ton of options

lots of salad options, fruits, veggies, a vegetarian and vegan area, and of course milk

if there wasn't any healthy protein choices I'd just make a shake later, but usually they had something that wasn't too bad

also I used to take a bunch of hardboiled eggs after breakfast in the mornings and use those as snacks.

but if you're bulking it shouldn't be too much of a problem, I can't imagine that EVERYTHING is fried

dabaugh
03-07-2007, 11:23 PM
check out the salad bar a lot of the time they will have hard boiled eggs - also cottage cheese is usually found at the salad bar - wow im shocked u really dont have grilled chicken? you got o a really small school?

actually i go to CU Boulder, big school, but where i live has a ****ty dorm cafeteria. salad bar is an option,......but shizca man even you know thats not for gaining weight. Also, the eggs in the bar are really marginal....they are mostly yolk and there is a low supply of them.
Are nuts really that good? they never have steak :help:

KingWilder
03-07-2007, 11:26 PM
nuts are packed full of healthy fats, protein, and some carbs and tons of calories

Scooter
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Read this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565 and try to match it up with stuff you find in the cafe.

You could also ask the chefs not to fry certain foods for you.

dabaugh
03-08-2007, 10:53 AM
wow thanks scooter that'll help (no sarcasm)