PDA

View Full Version : Venison

Willie42408
02-19-2002, 08:26 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is a good alternative to all that chicken? I have a whole freezer full of the stuff that I got for free.

Thanks,
Willie

the doc
02-19-2002, 08:35 PM
eat that venison. I would say it is a similar quality to beef. I just ate 1/2 a lb of venison for dinner

Shmoo
02-21-2002, 06:31 PM
Venison is leaner than beef , eat it up.

Blood&Iron
02-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Many deer have chronic wasting disease(It's related to mad cow disease.) I'd have a sample checked before you consume the meat(But then again, I'm paranoid.)

Qea
02-21-2002, 09:00 PM
venison = yum

they have stirfried venison noodles back home. oh how i miss them so

:drooling:

TFXP-Zeke01
02-21-2002, 10:38 PM
The best part is when you hunt it yourself; skin and de-meat it then put the WHOLE tenderloin in a kettle over fire all night basted with potatoes and carrots with a hint of spices!!:D:D In the morning, you have the most tastey, tender meat you'll ever put into your mouth......;)

Damn! I'm making my mouth juices flow just thinking about it!!:D

Manipul8r
02-21-2002, 11:16 PM
lol@"my mouth juices"

Budiak
02-22-2002, 02:21 AM
Venison GOOD!

Of course I dont have quite the firearm necessary for hunting deer, combat shotguns are usually not used for deer...unless the deer break into my house and try to steal my magic bag.

the doc
02-22-2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Many deer have chronic wasting disease(It's related to mad cow disease.) I'd have a sample checked before you consume the meat(But then again, I'm paranoid.)

chronic wasting is actually realated to "hoof and mouth" or "foot and mouth" disease. THis has not been shown to effect people

Franco
02-22-2002, 06:56 AM
Venison is an excellent alternative to beef, chicken, turkey.

Only downside is that it can be quite expensive, therefore I don't buy it as nearly as much as I would like to.

ericg
02-22-2002, 07:47 AM
Fran....be a man and go hunt. Oh wait.....they only have goats in sheep over there....duh

Blood&Iron
02-22-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by the doc

chronic wasting is actually realated to "hoof and mouth" or "foot and mouth" disease. THis has not been shown to effect people
No, you are incorrect. You are correct that CWD has not been shown to affect people , but then again neither has mad cow disease. There is a good deal of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, however.

Here is a small bit of info:

September 26, 2001 Federal Register

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Office of the Secretary

[Docket No. 01-019-1]

Declaration of Emergency Because of Chronic Wasting Disease

CWD is known to be endemic in free-ranging deer and elk in a
limited area in the western United States. Officials have
detected it in free-ranging deer and elk in southeastern
Wyoming, northeastern Colorado, and southwestern Nebraska.
State departments of wildlife are taking steps to conduct
surveillance in the endemic areas and to control the spread of
CWD in wild cervids.

In recent years, CWD has been found in 14 captive elk herds in
Colorado, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and South Dakota.
Some of these herds have since been depopulated. Of the 2,300
farmed elk herds (with a total of 110,000 animals) in the United
States, currently only 4 (with a total of approximately 1,000
animals) are known to be CWD- positive. We do not know the full
extent of infection in farmed elk in the United States. Limited
funds and the absence of a CWD program have allowed the
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to conduct
only minimal surveillance and testing, and not depopulation.
Presently, herds are placed under State quarantine when
infection is found.

Article by Chris Madson

(This article appeared in the May, 1998 issue of Wyoming Wildlife Magazine)

Should hunters be concerned?
Chronic wasting disease isn't known to affect people. Scrapie, a disease related to chronic wasting disease, has existed in sheep for at least 300 years, yet there has never been a case of scrapie reported in a human being, even among people who work with sheep and the millions of people who eat lamb and mutton.
There has been concern over Great Britain's experience with "mad cow disease" and a handful of cases of human new-variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Those twenty-four cases resulted after a population of 50 million people was exposed to a huge outbreak of spongiform encephalopathy in British cattle. With the passing of the disease in British livestock, the likelihood of further cases of the new variant of Cruetzfeldt-Jakob disease will drop rapidly.

Even in the parts of Wyoming and Colorado where chronic wasting disease is found, less than six percent of deer are infected. In these areas and in other places where big game animals may carry different diseases, a few precautions are sensible:

1) Don't shoot an animal that is acting abnormally or looks sick.
2) Wear rubber or latex gloves when you field-dress your animal.
3) In areas where chronic wasting disease has been reported, minimize your contact with a dead deer's brain and spinal cord and wash your hands after contact.
4) Don't eat deer brains or spinal cord.
5) Bone out your deer meat and discard the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, and lymph nodes.

IceRgrrl
02-22-2002, 08:36 AM
Venison is awesome...low fat, tasty, red meat protein.

Just remember that b/c it is so low in fat, it dries out easily so you don't want to overcook it. I like to grind it and mix with egg whites, a little breadcrumbs, and spices and make burgers or stew it with carrots, onions, and celery. Other that than, you can use it just like you would beef. Good stuff!

max_power
02-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by new1shmoo
Venison is leaner than beef , eat it up. :thumbup:

TFXP-Zeke01
02-24-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by FAngel
Venison is an excellent alternative to beef, chicken, turkey.

Only downside is that it can be quite expensive, therefore I don't buy it as nearly as much as I would like to.

That I know of, it's not for sale here in the U.S.. You have to hunt it yourself or find someone to hunt it for you. I grew up hunting and fishing; yet am a city dweller now. It's kinda cool to see a deer roaming in the woods behind my apartment and know that I have my Remington .270 high powered rifle in my room!:D Can you say 'Sniper'............OH! But I didn't do it officer!;)