PDA

View Full Version : Basketball training starting from scratch

donnie165
03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I am looking for mostly basketball training specifics but I need to get better everywhere. Me and my friend are going to start going to the gym alot and I need some ideas. I don't have exact stats but i', 16 6"3-6"4 and good at basketball but overweight idk like anywhere from 270-295 and not muscle. I never benched before and when I did it for like 2 weeks I could only do like 115 and quit after that but not because of it. Anyway I am looking for all the help I can get dieting, workout programs, training anything really. I need the whole package and need to get lighter strong quicker faster and more explosive. Although I want the whole package my main goal is to be ready for next basketball season.

Scooter
03-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Do this routine to develop your entire body and take it slow at first: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

For diet read this: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848

and finally read through the stickies. Basketball training has been discussed before so try a search for any specific questions. Good luck!

teenathlete3030
03-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Since you've never trained before, you might benefit from a bodyweight program first to get your general strength and fitness up, and to prepare your body for lifting.

I would also suggest running. You can go at 60% heartrate and lower without taking a big toll on explosiveness and still burn calories. Aerobic exercise can take away explosiveness, but in your position I'm not sure if that's your number one priority. You should start by getting the bodyfat in check. Sprints will also work good.

Ditto
03-14-2007, 01:23 AM
i can shoot basketball really good but thats cuz i used to litterally JUST shoot the basketball for an hour every night, so maybe add that in, also practice with your friends and u need cardio and reaction speed.

aming37
03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
For now, your two best friends are going to be interval training and circuit training. I'll explain both just to make sure.

Interval training is doing short bursts of high intensity exercise followed by longer of active rest. I would recommend doing 30 seconds at near-maximum intensity followed by 2 minutes at a relatively low intensity. You can do this workout running on a track or a treadmill (not on a road because that will be too hard on your joints because of your high weight), on a bicycle (stationary or moving), on stairmaster, elliptical or on a rowing machine. Just make sure to mix it up; don't do it the same way every time. That way it will be less boring and more effective because your body won't adapt to the training stimulus. Do this eight times with no rest between sets. When you're just beginning, do interval work two days per week. Gradually increase as you get in better shape. Altogether it will take 28 minutes.

warm-up: 5 minute at low intensity
Set #1: 30 seconds at high intensity
2 minutes at low intensity
Set #2: 30 seconds at high intensity
Set #3: 30 seconds at high intensity
Set #4: 30 seconds at high intensity
Set #5: 30 seconds at high intensity
Set #6: 30 seconds at high intensity
Set #7: 30 seconds at high intensity
Set #8: 30 seconds at high intensity
5 minutes at low intensity (cool-down)

Circuit training is a form of weight lifting that works well for fat loss. It involves doing at least 4 different lifts (in this case it will be more) with no rest in between them. After finishing a circuit, rest for 90 seconds before repeating. Don't try to be macho and use a really heavy weight. Form is more important than weight. So is finishing the workout. Start with a weight that you know you can complete the entire circuit (with good form) with. Then, gradually increase the weight. Here is a basic circuit I would recommend for a beginner. Do three circuits per workout and three workouts per week.

Squat: 8 reps
Bench Press: 8 reps
Bent-Over Row: 8 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 8 reps
Shoulder Press: 8 reps
Lat Pull-Down: 8 reps

Although this workout is designed for fat loss, it will increase your strength. It will just take some time. For you, fat loss is the most important thing. Then comes strength. Explosive work isn't safe until you are relatively lean (around 10-12% body fat) and have a good strength base.

So here's how it all adds up:
Monday: 3 weight circuits
Tuesday: 28 minutes of interval training
Wednesday: 3 weight circuits
Thursday: 28 minutes of interval training
Friday: 3 weight circuits

Now that the training is done, here come the nutrition tips.

1. Limit sugar consumption. That means from pop, candy and other junk foods. If your liver's glycogen stores are full it converts fructose into fat for storage. Half of both table sugar and high fructose corn syrup is fructose. High fructose corn syrup is one of the main culprits behind the obesity epidemic of America.
2. Be wary of dry carbs. In fact, don't eat white bread, white pasta or cereal (even "healthy" cereals like total) if you can help it. They require little energy to digest and are broken down into sugar very quickly. Try to eat as many whole grains as possible. Even many types of wheat bread have other unhealthy ingredients like high fructose corn syrup. Just make sure you read the label before you buy it. If it has a bunch of ingredients you've never heard of, don't buy it. If you have a hard time giving up cereals try some oatmeal with a little brown sugar.
3. Watch the fats, especially trans fats. They are artificial and are one of the worst things you can eat. They are associated with all kinds of medical problems. Saturated fats are necessary for hormone production but too many can increase your cholesterol and clog your arteries. Make sure you eat lots of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Some good sources are olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, fish oil (I'd recommend taking a fish oil pill because they have lots of omega-3 fatty acids which have numerous health benefits), cheese (in small amounts), peanut butter and most nuts. Just make sure they aren't too heavily salted.
4. Eat more protein. Protein is necessary for muscle growth. More protein means more muscle, which means higher metabolism which means more calories burned. Good protein sources are chicken, lean beef, fish (especially salmon), nuts, yogurt and cheese (especially cottage cheese if you can tolerate it). I would also highly recommend taking a protein supplement both before and after workouts. It will help build muscle after lifting weights and decrease muscle loss after cardio. That's another reason why I recommend interval training over steady state cardio- you loose a lot less muscle doing interval training. I'd recommend nitrean, available at www.atlargenutrition.com which is wannabebig's sister site. A tub costs $40 for 70 servings. If you have one serving on each day you work out one tub will last you 14 weeks. If your parents will buy it for you, even better. Just make sure they know that you are committed to working out.
5. Take a vitamin. It can't hurt. I the brand One a Day.

Sorry for the long post but it's a lot of information. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them.

-Alex

Bupp
03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Nba-Power-Conditioning-Lenny-Wilkens/dp/0880116870

This book is where it is at for getting in shape for bball.