PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do you place the bar in a clean!!!!

Fuzzy
03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
This is getting increasingly frustrating for me.

In any clean you are supposed to rest the bar on the front of your shoulder with your hand still in the bar, now... how the hell do you do that???

Is it wrist flexibility or what?

Sleepy Guy
03-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Yes you need to build it up. Do a search there are a few recent threads on increasing wrist flexibility.

The bar should rest in the dip in the shoulders near the collar bone.

Isaac Wilkins
03-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Wrist flexibility is a big part of it. Also, are you trying to keep your fists closed around the bar? Unless you're very small and very flexible that's unlikely. Chances are you'll end up just holding on to the bar by your fingertips. When you want to jerk it you'll roll it back down into your hands while you're dipping the jerk.

Also, try moving your grip out but your elbows in. Those of us with bigger biceps can't quite fold like some of the smaller lifters do, so we have to grip a clean fairly wide and move our elbows inside of our hands during the rack.

ValleyFR
03-10-2007, 07:20 PM
When i do a hang clean i usually use wrist wraps cuz the weight can tire you out on sets of 4. But ill start off with 185x10, 205x8, 225x6, and 250x4 and my grip is pretty gone at the end. But i will grab the bar about outside close grib bench length, where the grip starts outside the center grip, and i will stand straight up with my legs fairly close together and my chest out, and when i slide it down and bring it back up, the weight itself kinda helps my wrists fall into place.

amw308
03-11-2007, 04:34 PM
This was/is a big problem for me too. I am starting to get the hang of it, but at first it felt like i would have crush my wind pipe to catch the bar. Keep experimenting with it and it will get easier.

ValleyFR
03-11-2007, 08:02 PM
yeah it has gotten a lot easier for me, but i remember in school was repping out with 245 on power cleans and brought the weight up and it hit me straight in the chin. Power cleans smack me in the throat and it will look like i have a hickie on my adams apple.

vrizzle
03-11-2007, 10:15 PM
a couple things (may or may not be your case);

1. about 95% of your power for the power clean comes from your legs, back, and traps

2. you could not be following #1 and trying to use 20% with your arms, which could lead to doing reverse curls at the top of the clean, trying to pull the bar up to yourself, rather than yourself under the bar.

Like this guy - http://youtube.com/watch?v=9ghLYH5cEJ4
BAD form, don't copy

3. reverse curl statement was made because this would naturally want to make your hands keep a vice-grip on the bar. You want to keep your hands loosey goosey, but still have a sure grip. How is this accomplished? HOOK GRIP. Some people use it, some don't because it may be painful at first as the muscles in your thumbs build up.

4. Grip. Your grip may be way too close. I recommend thumb length from the start of rough part of bar. You can chose just about any grip as long as your hands are slightly wider than your shoulder. This creates room too keep that bar up there.

5. Hardest part to explain. Your elbows, when the bar is caught, should make about a 45 degree angle or slightly more, with your torso. You keep the bar up there by "rolling" your shoulders a little forward, away from your body, but NOT TOWARDS EACH OTHER like you're bending in half vertically.

6. Your wrists, when holding the bar, should be slightly open, and the bar should be resting on your upper palms, across the knuckles.

7. Much of this flexibility is determined by the size of your biceps. If it doesn't work immediately, don't give up, reread what I wrote, try again and don't blame everything on teh mahssive brahcci.

ValleyFR
03-12-2007, 12:38 AM
I like how you described that, because this summer i am going to be working out with my little brother and teaching him how to play linebacker and lift weights and such so cleans is something that i am going to teach him. I am not even going to let him bother lifting with the high school team, i played for his school and the lifting program is a joke, and its bad when they are switching from a 4-4 to a 5 linebacker set because they are short on size for the next few years. so this will kinda help describe power cleans. But i am going to stress power and hang.

Fuzzy
03-12-2007, 01:54 AM
a couple things (may or may not be your case);

1. about 95% of your power for the power clean comes from your legs, back, and traps

2. you could not be following #1 and trying to use 20% with your arms, which could lead to doing reverse curls at the top of the clean, trying to pull the bar up to yourself, rather than yourself under the bar.

Like this guy - http://youtube.com/watch?v=9ghLYH5cEJ4
BAD form, don't copy

3. reverse curl statement was made because this would naturally want to make your hands keep a vice-grip on the bar. You want to keep your hands loosey goosey, but still have a sure grip. How is this accomplished? HOOK GRIP. Some people use it, some don't because it may be painful at first as the muscles in your thumbs build up.

4. Grip. Your grip may be way too close. I recommend thumb length from the start of rough part of bar. You can chose just about any grip as long as your hands are slightly wider than your shoulder. This creates room too keep that bar up there.

5. Hardest part to explain. Your elbows, when the bar is caught, should make about a 45 degree angle or slightly more, with your torso. You keep the bar up there by "rolling" your shoulders a little forward, away from your body, but NOT TOWARDS EACH OTHER like you're bending in half vertically.

6. Your wrists, when holding the bar, should be slightly open, and the bar should be resting on your upper palms, across the knuckles.

7. Much of this flexibility is determined by the size of your biceps. If it doesn't work immediately, don't give up, reread what I wrote, try again and don't blame everything on teh mahssive brahcci.

1 and 2. I understand, beleive me, the entire core of my new view is the concept of power over strength, I have never rowed better or been a better all round athlete till I grasped this concept in its full form.

3. I have no switched to the hook grip.

4. My grip was too close I realised, however it made it even harder to catch the bar when I went further out.

5. I think I get that, my elbows arent nearly high enough or angled as you said from the body.

6. I truy to open my wrists, but I can barely get them to bend more then 475 degrees back. I really need some serious work on these...

7. yes... with my wopping 15' guns, I cant even put my elbow past 90!!! lol

Thanks alot for that... I think it coems down to my wrists in the end, Iv ebenn streching them alot so hopefully Ill be able to.

Upon my big realisation http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=92719&highlight=free+power I began to research Olympic and other ballistic style movments, as well as the ever more appealing concept of functional training with random objects.

My plan is to soon have my own bar and weights, and to hell with ever using a bench again!!! Not really.. but I want my training to be much more about just me and the bar.

I also want better explosivleness... Olympic lifting appeals so much more to me as an athlete, Im comparing a powerlifter to an Oly... and theres a difference.

As a rower... I want to be powerful, to be fast, yet still strong, for too long I let the 'big grunt powerlifter' in me reign, only training heavy movements and becoming to... meathead so to speak. This effected my rowing, and the weight I put on jepordized my position in my crew.. I will never let that happen.

But no my idea has changed, I want to be a lean fast powerful athlete.

ValleyFR
03-12-2007, 02:00 AM
damn...14 years of age? wow they start young theese days, lol.

Fuzzy
03-12-2007, 02:03 AM
damn...14 years of age? wow they start young theese days, lol.

Scratches stubble*

Yeah :p

ValleyFR
03-12-2007, 01:09 PM
tech n9ne - the beast , lol thats your theme, lol.

erik-the-red
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I believe a few photos will nicely complement what others have said.

Akakios Kakiasvilis and Pyrros Dimas are both three-time gold medalists. Obviously, their techniques were world-class.

Kakiasvilis can wrap his hands around the bar. Dimas holds it in place with his fingertips.

It's a personal thing.