Chris Rodgers
03-10-2007, 06:39 PM
405 sumo/roll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzg040XC2fA

405 sumo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TSc4znBqn4

425 sumo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUWm0PR924

445 sumo/tight straps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwdc27BnYlA

HeavyBomber
03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Your form is good. You seem to lift it effortlessly. Why the drop though?

Chris Rodgers
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks HB. No real reason, easier to drop it then put it down. We have our own platform built up there, so we won't ruin the gym floor. I have no problems with holding on in meet situations though.

cphafner
03-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Great speed Chris.

HeavyBomber
03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks HB. No real reason, easier to drop it then put it down. We have our own platform built up there, so we won't ruin the gym floor. I have no problems with holding on in meet situations though.

Yeah well, the reason I ask is because I've been dropping more and more these days. It's almost like it's just another variation of the lift.

WestsideWarrior
03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I think sumo is easier than conventional. Try conventional @ 445.

Chris Rodgers
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM

Is that like a challenge or do you want to see me pulling conv on video? My best in a sui conv. is 500 and 475 in a belt. I believe I have pulled 445x3. I have also pulled 465 off a 100 lb plate.

HeavyBomber
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Std is easier for some and sumo for others. Since using a sumo stance predominantly my std deads and squats have increased dramatically.

CR, you're a natural born sumo lifter. The motion of the lift is so fluid. It's about as perfect a sumo lift as I've seen.

WestsideWarrior
03-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I just wanna see a vid on it. Man your a DL beast lol. Monday I'll see if I do sumo better then conventional, but for some reason I still feel sumo is easier. Maybe b/c it seems like you have don't have to pull the bar up as far as conventional? Someone explain this to me please.

Chris Rodgers
03-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks HB. That's quite a compliment. :cool:

I just wanna see a vid on it. Man your a DL beast lol. Monday I'll see if I do sumo better then conventional, but for some reason I still feel sumo is easier. Maybe b/c it seems like you have don't have to pull the bar up as far as conventional? Someone explain this to me please.

Like HB said, it's different for each lifter. All about the way you are built and your strengths/weaknesses. I do a lot of very wide squatting and box squatting. This has made my hips very strong and given me good explosiveness/speed. When I first started powerlifting my conventional was higher than my sumo because my hips were weak.

I think it is smart to train with both methods because you will hit all the muscles involed and strengthen everything.

HeavyBomber
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
...[clip]...
I think it is smart to train with both methods because you will hit all the muscles involed and strengthen everything.

There you go. Well said.

Beast
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Inspirational vids... it looks so easy for you. Thanks for posting them up.

Chris Rodgers
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Inspirational vids... it looks so easy for you. Thanks for posting them up.

Thanks Beast. Fast, but not easy. Those are only around 85% or less of my max, so they shouldn't have been too tough. Hopefully in the next few months I will be posting a video of a nice big PR on these. Just have to do the work now.

Organichu
03-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Powerful looking movement. Definitely look as though you know what you're doing- great job, Chris.

Stumprrp
03-11-2007, 08:03 AM
that 445 was extremely fast Chris.

bjohnso
03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
You made those look easy, congratulations!

I started doing sumos after a long layoff, and the numbers I put up with sumos are quite a bit lower than conventional. I like the sumos because it's so easy to clear the knees with the bar, and I use a lot more legs and glutes with them. In fact, that's probably why my sumo is relatively weak - because my legs are weak.

But anyway, nice job! You max out around 500?

phatmonky
03-19-2007, 12:57 PM

That's not true at all, just different.

I'll post an article later articulating lab tested differences. The short of it is that each focuses a larger force over a different area. You are still lifting the wieght to the same height, so a little physics tells us that the same energy is being applied.

Sure, sumo is a little more hip dominant than back, but I'm 6'3". If you were as tall as me, you'd understand my favoring of sumo. And my long torso leaves me at no loss for creating a large lever requiring large amount of work done by my lower back still.

Maybe b/c it seems like you have don't have to pull the bar up as far as conventional? Someone explain this to me please.

The weight starts at the same height and ends at the same height, then remembering that Potential energy(U) = Kenetic energy(KE), and U=mass*gravity*height (mgh), the same work must be applies to move that weight.

The only reason that sumo is easier for anyone is because of anatomy and the fact that typically people's legs are better trained than their backs, along with a greater potential for larger muscles being in the legs than the lower back.

Sumo, being more greatly hip dominant may favor the larger muscles doing the work, and as I said for myself may favor someone that is anatomically larger than you are. But remember, when I grab the bar off the ground in convential form, I have to reach almost 6 inches lower than you do. Start the bar at a proportionally higher level if you want to talk apples to apples. But since we don't do that, some choose to do the motion that works best for their anatomy.

As was stated earlier, do both.

OP- sick. You don't even look like you are trying that hard.

sharkall2003
03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I'll disagree. The ROM with a sumo stance is a little less than with a conventional. As you spread your legs apart further you decrease the height that you are lifting a bar. Measure yourself standing upright as if you were doing conventional and measure yourself in a sumo stance. Sumo you'll seem shorter. And your ROM is decreased.

Great lifts. Made them look easy.

Australian
03-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Watching those videos makes me feel like my lower back wouldn't have any problems doing sumo deads. I'm rehabing but now totally inspired to DL again. How many weeks do you guys reckon I should be without any pain in my lower back to give an indication that I'm ready for DL's? I'm psyched! Thanks Chris!

cphafner
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Watching those videos makes me feel like my lower back wouldn't have any problems doing sumo deads. I'm rehabing but now totally inspired to DL again. How many weeks do you guys reckon I should be without any pain in my lower back to give an indication that I'm ready for DL's? I'm psyched! Thanks Chris!

Talk to a doctor before you think about doing deads.

Cra-Z
03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I'll disagree. The ROM with a sumo stance is a little less than with a conventional. As you spread your legs apart further you decrease the height that you are lifting a bar. Measure yourself standing upright as if you were doing conventional and measure yourself in a sumo stance. Sumo you'll seem shorter. And your ROM is decreased.

Great lifts. Made them look easy.
I agree with this cat, it's simple, I can't believe buddy did all that "physics" and couldn't figure out you don't stand as stand with your legs spread apart. Just imagine the extreme of doing the splits, you're not as high off the ground.

Those were solid lifts, trouble believing you couldn't pull closer to 550.

Chris Rodgers
03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone.

I agree with this cat, it's simple, I can't believe buddy did all that "physics" and couldn't figure out you don't stand as stand with your legs spread apart. Just imagine the extreme of doing the splits, you're not as high off the ground.

I should be back around there real soon.

smokinHawk
03-20-2007, 06:47 AM
good pulls, id like to see your max out of the suit for curiositys sake.
just wondering (as im about tempted to get a suit)

the doc
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
chris, awesome! you make it look easy!

I had to try dan's new embeds:

405 sumo/roll hzg040XC2fA

405 sumo 3TSc4znBqn4
425 sumo pgUWm0PR924

445 sumo/tight straps Jwdc27BnYlA

Clifford Gillmore
03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Definate cake for you chris. You looking to go upto the 198's now? 650 should be cake :)

Beast
03-20-2007, 09:53 AM
My sumo is about 45 pounds weaker than my conventional (although I just started pulling sumo).

Chris Rodgers
03-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Smokinhawk- I have pulled 505 sumo in a belt. My best in that suit w/briefs is 530.

Doc- Thanks. I like Dan's new idea.

Definate cake for you chris. You looking to go upto the 198's now? 650 should be cake :)

198? lol I'm having trouble gaining enough to compete at 165. Baby steps. Maybe some day I'll weigh 198.

phatmonky
03-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Alight then, let's find out just how different it is!

I am 2 inches shorter at my sumo stance than standing at my tallest.

That is a difference of mgh1-mgh2 of (181.4kg*9.8m/s*1.905m)- (181.4kg*9.8m/s*1.85m) = 3386J -3288J = 102J difference!

Since I'm just talking in crazy "physics" talk (that's physics with extra quotes to show that I must not know what I'm saying!), that is just about a 3% difference in energy applied.

So, If you guys want to tell people that sumo is easier, go right ahead, but the truth is that you are concerned over an ENERGY difference of 3% or less. The difference in weight lifted is going to be so minimal compared to the difference in teaching your body a different form, that they might as well be the same. We are literally talking the difference of about 4lbs at a 400lb lift (Energy is not the work done) when comparing the work done.

To me, it's still ignorant to argue such a point while watching some guy pull 400+lbs around like it's nothing. And again I'll contend that they aren't better or worse, just different, and you should do both.

chris mason
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Using simple physics with respect to the human body deadlifting is folly. There are simply too many variables to use the equations you have.

That said, I agree with your point that sumo is not necessarily easier. It really all depends on the individual and those myriad of of variables I mentioned.

Chris

Portboy
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Good job! I wish i could pull that.

By the way, has anyone ever broken/damaged anything by dropping the bar? Just asking...

Cra-Z
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
The weight starts at the same height and ends at the same height, then remembering that Potential energy(U) = Kenetic energy(KE), and U=mass*gravity*height (mgh), the same work must be applies to move that weight.

The only reason I said that is because you just contradicted yourself, I wasn't saying one was easier or anything. Do 'em both, personal preference.

Chris Rodgers
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Good job! I wish i could pull that.

By the way, has anyone ever broken/damaged anything by dropping the bar? Just asking...

Thanks. I personally haven't, but I'm sure someone has. You have to be real careful if your toes are vcclose to the plates. That'll sting, lol. :whip:

If I feel froggy tomorrow I will pull something heavy with the plates raised ~5" off the ground on blocks. If I do I'll post some more vids.