PDA

View Full Version : Helping my Dad loose weight

Hazerboy
03-11-2007, 12:56 PM
After two years of unemployment my dad has finally found a consulting job and he's ready to get his life back together, starting with his diet. He's currently around 5'9, 220 lbs, and he wants me (the family fitness expert... go figure) to help him.

I've started him off by having him record this weeks calories on fitday. After that I was going to clean up a few of his food choices and subtract 500-700 calories. My worry is that he won't use the program enough + its fairly tedious. Portion estimation is difficult, especially when we eat out.

My dad works from home, however, and he does cook a lot, so I was thinking of instead putting him on a diet that has a few general guild lines and does not rely so heavily on counting calories. I'm thinking this would be way easier to follow for him, though I'm unsure of which diet to choose. My friend's Dad lost a lot of weight on the South Beach Diet (he also loves to cook), so I'm thinking I might start there. The only problem with that is I'm thinking it will be very hard to follow in the long run. Any ideas?

Finally I was going to get him into some athletics. He's past 50 with a bad shoulder and a tight knee (fell on the ice a couple weeks ago) so he's got some limited options. He loves to work out in the yard, however (much to my dismay - I'm usually involved) and to go on walks so I think I'm going to get him back into that program. Also, after I get him to go to a doctor, I might get him onto some sort of weightlifting program (we have a cage and Olympic weight set in our garage).

Anyways, I'd love some suggestions for this. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Built
03-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Read the third question in this month's Get Built - I have a few pointers in there that might help him.

KingWilder
03-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I wish I could loose weight

Hazerboy
03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Where do I find this "this month's Get built?"

Wilder - Aw come on! Me bad at english? Thats unpossible!

Built
03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Click Get Built; Baby Got Back; my WBB articles (http://www.wannabebig.com/author.php?author=54)
look for the most recent one.