PDA

View Full Version : Proper DE Benching?

LiftingKid
03-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I have always been a bit confused with the DE bench aspect of the westside system. Are you supposed to lower the bar in a slow, controlled manner and then explode off the chest? Should you let the bar lower quickly?

Chris Rodgers
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I think it depends on the lifter. I have seen it done ballistically(fast down fast up) and alos with the more slow, controlled negative followed by a fast press. I would see what feels more comfortable for you, just make sure to push the weight with maximum force on the way up.

amw308
03-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Mike Wolfe would probably be the best one to answer your question, but from what i understand the bar is lowered at a normal speed. That is, the bar isn't lowered extremely slowly but just slow enough that it is still under control. The explosive press is emphasized more than the lowering of the bar.

Big o Boy
03-12-2007, 02:58 AM
I lower it as quickly as possible, while being controlled. While doing this, a good thought to have in mind is keeping your shoulders back and your body as tight as possible just like an ME lift. It's like they say about studying. If you study lying down, your going to remember more lying down (not good if your seated in class). So by mirroring my ME work, I want to move the bar as fast as possible while keeping my body in the same position.

View 1
03-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I just started doing DE work last week for the first time, and I was having issues trying to lower the bar but not bounce the bar off my chest. So its simple, lower the bar with enough speed so you can still control it, and raise the bar with max force. Yes?

Hughes
03-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Wolfy has helped me a great deal with my training, so I'll offer what he taught me as far as DE benching. Both the eccentric and concentric portion are done as quickly/explosively as possible while maintaining good form.

Basically, for DE benching, do 10x3; use 50% of your max plus bands. Aim for doing the 3 reps in 3 seconds. This is the basic principal for the speed element of DE bench.

Hope this helps!!!

LiftingKid
03-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your input everyone!

I think that I will use the fast down/fast up method and see how it goes.