PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between men and women?

arcgremlin
03-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Nutritionally obviously.. heh

My girlfriend has recently started joining me and working out.
I've put on 50 pounds over the past year and 4 months.
Almost all muscle.(lols, i was 120lbs 5'10, now i'm 170lbs at 9% bf)
So I had thought I was pretty knowledgeable and such....
Wrong thought.
For some reason, it seems whenever I try and apply everything or anything I did and I learned, it doesn't work well for her at all. If she increases her calorie intake, she gains a belly, if she decreases them she looks anorexic and loses strength. Neither of us know anything about female nutrition at all.
I think maybe she needs a different type of multi vitamin as well?
All confusing..
She is only 18 and I'm 20. In case you were wondering how we could be so clueless.

We aren't looking to get her huge and buff, or skinny or anything.
We just both want to be fit and healthy.

so my point:

I was just wondering if I could get a link, or something to somewhere I could learn about the differences between male needs, and female needs. As far as working out and eating goes...

Somewhere that I can find a lot of information to read on females.

Thank you.

Cirino83
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not that knowledgable with this topic, but as far as I know, men and women needs are pretty similar. Portions and macros will be much different for the most part, but as far as gaining/losing between men and women it is the same. Maybe your gf gets a belly because you are ramping her caloric intake too high too fast. Try increasing hers in small incriments such as 200 a week and see if she gains slowly. I don't think there is a certain type of way to train woman....

Unreal
03-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Nothing really besides caloric requirements. Maybe she is training wrong? Is she lifting heavy and keeping cardio limited?

PoutineEh
03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Nothing really besides caloric requirements. Maybe she is training wrong? Is she lifting heavy and keeping cardio limited?

id tend to agree. most girls (not the ones of this forum ;)) will do 50 tricep kick backs to tone etc.

im sure you're applying what you know to her workout and having her do lower reps, but maybe she isnt putting as much effort as she thinks she is. she needs to have the drive to set a personal best in a lift, and then top it, like everyone here does.

if her diet is as good as what you make it sound to be, then i guess its the training. just to rule out diet, is she keeping track of her macros, atleast for a week or so that way she gets a grasp of how much macros she is truly getting in?

Built
03-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Slim, that was amazing.

To the OP - please tell me the following:

Her height, weight, approximate bodyfat level (ballpark is fine), her current macros (calories, grams protein carb and fat) and her currrent training - exercises, reps, sets, weight used. Also her current goals.

We'll start from there.

Australian
03-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm in the same boat as arcgremlin. I've got my girlfriend on a diet plan and doing WBB1 with me. It's still early days for her so her results won't be visible for a while I guess. She is getting stronger though. She's slim and seeking more tone in her figure. She's been a bit slack with fitday but she says that will change. Is WBB1 the best routine to start a girl on? Built - this one's for you to answer if you could please. Thank you.

Australian
03-18-2007, 02:11 PM
BUMP - Is WBB1 for a slim 27 yr old female or not?

Cirino83
03-18-2007, 06:53 PM
BUMP - Is WBB1 for a slim 27 yr old female or not?

WBB1 is good for pretty much anyone. It is geared towards beginners more than others though.

Built
03-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Women and men train and diet pretty much the same Australian. WBB1 is fine for any beginner.

Australian
03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your advice. In that case we're going to step up her weights a notch today after uni.

arcgremlin
03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, we aren't even together anymore.

ah well

now i just have more time to train
and more money to eat

yay?

sadness.

Vapour Trails
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
The difference, about 10-20 times the testosterone.

Questor
03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
The difference, about 10-20 times the testosterone.

:withstupi

oh wait, it's not politically correct to suggest that there's differences in the bodies between men and women.

seems to me like women would need to train harder to achieve the same lbm growth than a man would, all other things being equal.

or whomever would like to deny that can explain to me that test does not positively influence muscle development.

Alex.V
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Test? It absolutely does. This has an impact on caloric need, overall muscle growth, muscle/fat distribution, recovery time, you name it. There is not a single factor associated with athletics, specifically athletics with a strength component, that higher testosterone does not positively influence.

So when it comes to training, women are completely different from men. And by that I mean all the differences tend to cancel themselves out pretty damn well. Less muscle means less weight lifted, which means less total recovery needed, which means fewer calories needed to support less lean body mass (on average by weight). Isn't it a beautiful cycle?

So when designing a routine and diet for women, take all the rules you'd apply for men, and change nothing.

arcgremlin
03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
kk thanks

and the reason it was all messed up i think, was because, as i found out, she was doing some pretty hard drugs on the weekends when i was working

guess i feel stupid for not realizing something like that was going on.. =\