PDA

View Full Version : All you olive oil freaks...

Chris Rodgers
03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
What kind do you take and how?

I just downed an amazing tasting protein shake combo of Nitrean/Muscle milk. Then I had 2 TBSP of olive oil and like 10 oz of water. Now all I can taste is the nasty olive oil. I'm trying to gain weight here and I need this stuff to taste better. Will I get used to it or is there better types or methods. Thanks.

Sidior
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM

I just downed an amazing tasting protein shake combo of Nitrean/Muscle milk. Then I had 2 TBSP of olive oil and like 10 oz of water. Now all I can taste is the nasty olive oil. I'm trying to gain weight here and I need this stuff to taste better. Will I get used to it or is there better types or methods. Thanks.

add the TBSPs of olive oil to the shake, you cant taste it at all :thumbup:

Clifford Gillmore
03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Get some decent olive oil too. Kind of stuff should cost you around 20+$ for 2L :)

Chris Rodgers
03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Is that sarcasm? Don't you dare try and mess up one of my sweet shakes.

Chris Rodgers
03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
2 L?? WTF you buying that at the price club? Why don't I just get a 55 gallon drum, lol.

I think I got some cheap store brand crap. Any suggestion on brand names?

Clifford Gillmore
03-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Because the drums are 45gal...

I'm not familiar with american brands sorry chris, but there is an Australian one called Jingilly which kicks ass. Aim for oils that come from fairly wet/seasonal areas, Italy, spain, Western Australia.

Macadamia nut oil taste a whole lot better than olive oil anyway, just a bit dearer again.

03-12-2007, 10:12 PM
i use olive oil for cooking but when taking straight shots i use flax oil

spectum has cinnamon and lemon flavors i prefer the cinnimon

Clifford Gillmore
03-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Unripe flaxseeds contain a natural form of cyanide, I'm not a huge fan of flax anyway.

Sidior
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
get extra virgin, the less taste the better...and add it to the shakes!! no joke

Bohizzle
03-12-2007, 11:05 PM
get extra virgin, the less taste the better...and add it to the shakes!! no joke

i wouldn't say 2tbsp's and no taste, but yeah 1tbsp and no taste for sure.

KingWilder
03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I use Bertolli EVOO...I usually just use it when I cook veggies

Optimum08
03-13-2007, 12:21 AM
chris, just look for extra virgin when shopping for olive oil, especially since it sounds like your gonna be taking shots/drinking it. Really any brand should suffice so long as it is extra virgin.

theJamAbides
03-13-2007, 12:34 AM
I put a tablespoon in my shakes all the time to get my fats up.

Tastes great. And it keeps your shaker clean too! Just don't get any on your clothes...

Built
03-13-2007, 01:32 AM
i use olive oil for cooking but when taking straight shots i use flax oil

You may wish to reconsider the flax oil.

1mmort4l
03-13-2007, 01:50 AM
I put a tablespoon in my shakes all the time to get my fats up.

Tastes great. And it keeps your shaker clean too! Just don't get any on your clothes...

Hmm, interesting.. I thought hot water and maybe detergent was a more appropriate way of washing things.. :bow: :p

Fuzzy
03-13-2007, 02:08 AM
We grow and make our own olives and olive oil.

man, i could drink that stuff.

getfit
03-13-2007, 02:40 AM
2 L?? WTF you buying that at the price club? Why don't I just get a 55 gallon drum, lol.

I think I got some cheap store brand crap. Any suggestion on brand names?

we have oil groves in greece so most of the time we get our oil shipped to us ;)

Unreal
03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
I got a huge jug of organic EVOO from costco for cheap. Good stuff. 1TBPS in a large shake makes it smooth and makes the texture much better, and you can't taste it.

You could always use a different oil, such as coconut oil or macadaimian nut oil. Both will be much more expensive though.

pipes
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
I put about 2 tbsp's of olive oil in my shakes and it doesn't change the flavor at all. I can't even tell it's there. Can't you sacrifice one of your "sweet shakes" and just try it?

KingJustin
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Damn, I love the taste of Olive Oil + Nitrean + Milk. Maybe you'll get used to it.

Slick_85
03-13-2007, 12:28 PM
I've used both flax and olive oil. I just pour them into my shakes. I actually enjoy my shake more when it is in there. The flax tastes a little better with less aftertaste. I use original chocolate myoplex, BTW

Jinkies
03-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Chase it with some raw eggs, that will kill the taste.

:)

HahnB
03-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Peanut butter covers up ANYTHING you put into a shake.

03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
You may wish to reconsider the flax oil.

and why would that be?

Built
03-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Well, why are you using flax oil?

bkplant
03-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Bertolli and Colavita are brands that suffice for me. Olio Carli is my fav, although harder to find... even their second press stuff is excellent.... and more palatable for those that dont like the pungency of EVOO

you're best bet is to find a local italian importer with a good selection and try what the owner recommends.

When I'm trying to down amounts of the stuff I like to pour it on grilled chicken breast and assorted veggies with a splash of balsamic..YEAH!

Levantar
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM

I had to laugh when I read your shake combo because I also had a 50/50 mix of chocolate muscle milk and Nitrean today for the first time. I thought it was tasty. The muscle milk has just a few too many calories for me but when mixed with the Nitrean it cuts back the average amount per shake.

PoutineEh
03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I had to laugh when I read your shake combo because I also had a 50/50 mix of chocolate muscle milk and Nitrean today for the first time. I thought it was tasty. The muscle milk has just a few too many calories for me but when mixed with the Nitrean it cuts back the average amount per shake.

yep, i do the same except i do 2 scoops nitrean for 1 scoop of muscle milk. tastes pretty good and has lots of protein :)

saia127
03-13-2007, 09:40 PM
I have been putting olive oil in my shakes and I can't taste it at all. My uncle owns a olive oil company in Italy, so I get it for free.

03-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, why are you using flax oil?

to add good fats to my diet

Chris Rodgers
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Tonight I will put it directly in the shake and test it out.

Bohizzle
03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
let us know how it goes lol

Built
03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
to add good fats to my diet
Which fats are in flax that you're adding in? Is if for the Omega-3? Because the conversion rate from ALA to EPA/DHA is really lousy. Look at the first issue of get built - I did up a comparison between fish oil and flax oil.

Chris Rodgers
03-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, it definitely changes the taste, but I can deal with it. It's better than straight shots.

I used 1.5 scoops of chocolate peanut butter muscle milk, 1 scoop of nitrean and 2 tbsp of EVOO.

Australian
03-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey, I have a question regarding oil intake.

Why?

Is it really that important to focus so much on this stuff? Can't you just reach your caloric goals for the day by eating larger (controlled) amounts - more often? Seriously, I'm hooked on rice, beans and veges (and the flavours!) and I meet my bulking caloric intake bracket every day without fail. What's the big deal with all you 'Olive Oilers'?

I know that fats are more satisfying on a cut than carbs but don't you guys s*** too much with all that oil? Water is satisfying too ya know, but DON'T have it WITH your meal. Let the meal break down in a nice pool of bile and stomach acid without dilution. One hour later start sipping. Sip, don't skull. Right, so there's a bit more anatomical discussion than I first intended for this post.:offtopic: Sorry about my current post-workout adrenaline madness.:spam:

WHY THE OIL OBSESSION?

Mr. D
03-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Why?

Is it really that important to focus so much on this stuff? Can't you just reach your caloric goals for the day by eating larger (controlled) amounts - more often? Seriously, I'm hooked on rice, beans and veges (and the flavours!) and I meet my bulking caloric intake bracket every day without fail. What's the big deal with all you 'Olive Oilers'?

I know that fats are more satisfying on a cut than carbs but don't you guys ***** too much with all that oil? Water is satisfying too ya know, but DON'T have it WITH your meal. Let the meal break down in a nice pool of bile and stomach acid without dilution. One hour later start sipping. Sip, don't skull. Right, so there's a bit more anatomical discussion than I first intended for this post.:offtopic: Sorry about my current post-workout adrenaline madness.:spam:

WHY THE OIL OBSESSION?

well there is a minimum amount of fat to reach a day. If you can reach it without adding olive oil to everything, then great, if not you're gonna have to add olive oil or somesuch to your foods.

Also as for drinking water during meal, thats old wives tale.

Australian
03-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Right... So you're calling me an old wife that tells tales then punk? :smoke:

I understand the presence of fat is essential for the absorption of nutrients from our food, and to maintain balance in our digestive process.

This website show us how much we NEED:
http://www.pennhealth.com/health_info/nutrition/how_much.html
The answer is not a lot. It's an option, but we don't NEED heaps. Right? Wrong? A little help please? BUILT show me an article!

PS good luck absorbing nutrients if your stomach juices are diluted - loser. Oh and by the way go and eat something frozen or really cold next time you eat fat too. Pfft. Mr. Indestructible.

Mr. D
03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Whoa Nellie. No need for the name calling.

As for that link, the premise is based on "light to moderate activity". Basically all they did was take 30% of the caloric intake and as we have seen dieting by percentages isnt the smartest way to diet.

Australian
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah sorry, you're right. If I don't chill the hell out I'm gonna end up locked up.

So what is the mathematical formula then?

Stackattack
03-15-2007, 06:12 AM
WHY THE OIL OBSESSION?

In the past when bulking, i've gotten to the point where i was dreading every meal and constantly feel bloated and on the verge of puking. Being dense in calories. Olive oil is an easy was to add calories for those who are already eating as much solid food as thay can handle.

Unreal
03-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Yeah sorry, you're right. If I don't chill the hell out I'm gonna end up locked up.

So what is the mathematical formula then?

There is no formula. The general rule around here is .5g of fat per pound of LBM. Everyone is different, but this a decent rule of thumb to go by. Fats are essential for life, formation of hormones, absorption of nutrients, and are loaded with calories.

jamrock
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM

Why?

I know that fats are more satisfying on a cut than carbs but don't you guys s*** too much with all that oil? Water is satisfying too ya know, but DON'T have it WITH your meal. Let the meal break down in a nice pool of bile and stomach acid without dilution. One hour later start sipping. Sip, don't skull. Right, so there's a bit more anatomical discussion than I first intended for this post.:offtopic: Sorry about my current post-workout adrenaline madness.:spam:

WHY THE OIL OBSESSION?

What is the problem with drinking while you eat? I drink most of my water during my meals, 16-32oz per meal...

Mr. D
03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
its an eastern philosophy. I know people who practice Ayurvedic principles along with aussies chinese medicines believe drinking water with food dilutes the food and wastes nutrients and doesnt allow for proper digestion.

Blanche_Soprano
03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I use Bertolli EVOO...I usually just use it when I cook veggies

I live by Bertolli EVOO. It has a light taste and is great for cooking.

Australian
03-16-2007, 09:54 AM
What is the problem with drinking while you eat? I drink most of my water during my meals, 16-32oz per meal...Food is broken down in the digestive process of the body, as I'm sure you're aware. It's almost essential for this to happen to get anything out of our food nutritionally speaking because whilst food is still in it's larger molecular form, before it's broken down, it cannot be used by the individual cells in the body. The cells of the body require nourishment from specific smaller molecular structures - enzymes, peptides and so on that are what's left after digestion and absorption. This digestion and breaking down of our food happens with the aid of the body's chemicals, one of which is hydrochloric acid (stomach acid), and another of which is bile. Bile breaks down all that olive oil (or one would hope it does) and is created in the liver and released from the duodenum in the early stages of the digestive process.

For the purpose of this little explanation, I need you to visualise the following experiment. Take two buckets, and fill both with one litre of bile and hydrochloric acid. Now drop a piece of flesh into both. We now have 2 buckets of chemicals with dissolving pieces of meat in them. The meat, depending on it's size, shape, density, permeability, mass and structure will take between 1 and 2 hours to dissolve, but will not dissolve completely. The remaining flesh will be excreted in solid form. 5 minutes into the experiment pour one litre of water into only one of the buckets. Observe the dissolving pieces of flesh, including any differences between them. Can you imagine what I'm saying? There's your answer ;) why to keep excess water at meals to a minimum. Ensure a natural, not neutral PH level for your organs to function correctly.