PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest an Eastern recipe?

KingJustin
03-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm trying to vary my food a bit. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Not too expensive
-High in "good" carbs (low GI, complex, fiber-filled carbs)
-At least a reasonable amount of protein
-Low in fats
-Not too spicy
-Vegetables are good

manowar669
03-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Eastern as in "Asian"? Try any variation of "chicken fried rice" with brown rice, and double up on the chicken breast and eggs.

I cook brown rice as directed (takes like 45 minutes). Cut up chicken breasts (as much as you want). Cut up veggies, I use frozen broccoli, since it's cheap and easy. Sometime I add other stuff if I have it around, like pea pods, etc. Crack a handfull of eggs into a hot skillet sprayed with Pam, and scramble them. Dump them out onto a plate/bowl. Spray skillet with more Pam, throw in some garlic for about 30 seconds, add chicken pieces and cook until done (sometimes I add chopped onion). Add rice and stir fry over med-high heat, spraying the rice with Pam a few times while cooking. Mix some lite soy and splenda in a cup. Add some cooking sherry if you got it. Dump soy mixture over rice while cooking and continue to stir fry. Add frozen broccoli, veggies and the cooked eggs. Make a big batch, cook once and eat all week.

Australian
03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Well done on your cooking progress. Hey, check out how the Jamaicans eat - rice and beans - and it contains all the essential amino acids for building muscle! Jah maan - Irie!

McIrish
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Well done on your cooking progress. Hey, check out how the Jamaicans eat - rice and beans - and it contains all the essential amino acids for building muscle! Jah maan - Irie!

It's not "eastern" per se, but Australian does make a good point... Caribbean cuisine for the win! Get some jerk seasoning from the local supermarket and rub it into some chicken breasts - grill/blacken them and then lay on a bed of beans and rice. My Dominican friends would be proud of you! :)

Get some plaintains, too - DAMN. They're tasty.

EDIT: One more hting - Australian, wtf, why are you posting the exact same message in multiple threads? :scratch:

Australian
03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Africa, Asia, Europe, even the Mexicans - they all do beans and rice as a traditional source of complete protein. Actually they all see it as a traditional meal.