PDA

View Full Version : Counting Calories In Homemade Foods

Vico
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey all,

I have been tracking my calories pretty steadily with fitday but have run into some problems counting calories in home made dishes. I will often cook large meals on Sundays for the week to come.

Whats the best way to determine the calories in something like a stir fry? The only thing I could figure is to count everything i put in it, like "8 carrots, one onion" etc then divide the contents by the # of cups it turns into. This does work and I have done it in the past with things like wheat gluten that come from a bag and maybe have one or two ingredients, yet with something as varied nutritionally as a stir fry I would have to calculate each week individually. I can do this, but is their a simpler method?

Vico

IHaveToCrushYou
03-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I was thinking you could take the nutritional info for everything in the stirfry, weigh the contents of the stirfry on a kitchen scale and then add up the nutritional info for that amount (ie the whole thing weighs 10 oz then put the calories into fitday with the serving size being 10 oz). Then whenever you eat it you weight how much you wanna eat, put that weight into fitday and it'll calculate everthing for you.

Australian
03-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I never thought I'd ever say this as nutritional advice. In fact, I'm not saying it. It's someone else logged into my account. There - guilt free nutritional advice.

Keep your stir fry variation to a minimum.

Edit: Don't listen to him - he's evil! VARIETY IS GOOD!