PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling

Ditto
03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Ok I am pretty good at wrestling and when next year comes I'll join my school's wrestling team and I'm gonna start karate again in about a month cuz I quit when I was a bluebelt, and I'm gonna start training with my friends in boxing and wrestling.
I also lift weights a lot and stuff but I have really crappy cardio so ill probably train that too.
If you were aiming to get good at wrestling is there anything else you would add onto your training schedule besides what I already have?
I'm also trying to find a boxing place I can attend.
Also maybe some kind of ground-based martial arts like jiujitsu but I can't find anything like that ...
K help is appreciated :help:

Vico
03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Between lifting, HS wrestling, karate, boxing and jiu jitsu your going to be pretty busy!

You need to figure out what your goals are training wise. Are you going to focus on your grappling? Try to become an all around fighter? Or learn katas?

Boxing is good standup striking wise and highschool wrestling is a good base for your grappling game. Karate is not very good for either. Jiu Jitsu would certainly improve your wrestling and its a great martial art.

You could get very far lifting, training with your wrestling team, and throwing some boxing in. This would cover most of your bases as a fighter, and you will probably get more than enough cardio conditioning from wrestling and boxing.

Where in florida are you? There are many a Jiu Jitsu places around. Try searching "grapplearts.com/search.php" for a good jiu jitsu place. Go in and try a free class, see what you think.

Ditto
03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
just trying to be an all around good fight, also thinking about trying to be a bouncer after h.s. maybe? if i can gain like 50 pounds lol.
DeLand, can't find any nearby idk why if u can find one for me then PM me with it :D
Also I'm doing karate cuz its not amazing but its better than nothing and once I become a blackbelt then I can be an instructor.

Hazerboy
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Its going to be hard gaining weight with all that activity (think of the calories!).

With your tight schedule I would still lift weights. concentrate on deadlifts and pull-ups.

Look over the crossfit webstie! This is very important for a fighter. Don't get trapped in the bodybuilding style of training (curls for the girls and a giant chest).