PDA

View Full Version : 3/13/07 squats and slsdl

Chris Rodgers
03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
555x1 squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmpZvI2IXUU

575x2 squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVI3xMh7LiE

275x5 SLSDL(closeup, lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7q09a095M

Trying out my new squat suit and just showing my form on the SLSDL.

Stumprrp
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
god your a beast lol

HeavyBomber
03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
CR,
how much do you weigh?

Chris Rodgers
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
CR,
how much do you weigh?

I'm back up to 160 when I train(like 6:oo P.M.). My goal is to train at like 170-172 and compete at 165.

Cirino83
03-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Good weight/lift ratio. Impressive.

BTW did anyone notice the tree trunks the spotter was trying to smuggle in his shorts?

Chris Rodgers
03-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Good weight/lift ratio. Impressive.

BTW did anyone notice the tree trunks the spotter was trying to smuggle in his shorts?

Hehe. That's my buddy Jay. He weighs ~295-300.

Shark
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Your strength compared to your body weight is monstrous! Good work.

Natetaco
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I have to comment on this. It doesnt look like your close to parallel at all on those squats. Its still very strong but you have a super wide stance and only go down a couple of inches, does that pass as parallel?

getfit
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Your strength compared to your body weight is monstrous! Good work.

seriously! awesome work

ValleyFR
03-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I have to comment on this. It doesnt look like your close to parallel at all on those squats. Its still very strong but you have a super wide stance and only go down a couple of inches, does that pass as parallel?

varies....football does squats like that. But when i was in highschool our coach had us closer then shoulder width apart....but with as wide as his stance was i saw guys squating 500 lbs thinking it counted and they didnt go down at all. they were less then 5'10 tall , there was three of them and they all did it the same... when max day came and they did that the coachs just laughed and started yelling at everyone about getitng parrallel, and they ended up maxing with like...350, lol. But as for that guy...yes he could have gone down maybe 2-4 more inches? but other then that very strong form and he is a beast compared to his size. Its like...hercules trapped in a tiny body.

ValleyFR
03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
oh...why is his stance so wide on the SLDL? that lift seems so dangerous for your lower back as well....

Natetaco
03-15-2007, 06:04 PM
varies....football does squats like that. But when i was in highschool our coach had us closer then shoulder width apart....but with as wide as his stance was i saw guys squating 500 lbs thinking it counted and they didnt go down at all. they were less then 5'10 tall , there was three of them and they all did it the same... when max day came and they did that the coachs just laughed and started yelling at everyone about getitng parrallel, and they ended up maxing with like...350, lol. But as for that guy...yes he could have gone down maybe 2-4 more inches? but other then that very strong form and he is a beast compared to his size. Its like...hercules trapped in a tiny body.

I mean i have seen people with wide stance go parallel and it was def lower than that.

ValleyFR
03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
yeah i feel you on that, when me and lifting buddies did squats we stood on the side and wouldnt let them come back up untill parallel Its something that you have to stress in squats to get the full benifit from it. but when you get to the higher weight it becomes so much harder to keep your back straight and focus on parrallell at the same time... FORM=PERFECTION

jtteg_x
03-15-2007, 06:31 PM
nice lifts. i wanted to ask for some pointers on how to perform the slsdl? i normally do conventional sldl, is it almost the same the technique?

Chubrock
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Each federation is different. In some that would pass, in others it wouldn't. Chris has been training for quite awhile now and knows what passes and what doesn't, and trains so accordingly.

Natetaco
03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Each federation is different. In some that would pass, in others it wouldn't. Chris has been training for quite awhile now and knows what passes and what doesn't, and trains so accordingly.

yeah I assumed so

ValleyFR
03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
will someone tell me why his SLDL is so wide?

Chris Rodgers
03-15-2007, 07:33 PM
For starters, it is very hard to judge depth from a video on the internet. That was my first day in a new suit and I had nobody watching my depth. Those squats were really only slightly above parallel and I am actually a strict judge on the squat. I really don't like to break parallel when I have a good weight on my back(like 500+) and am not wearing knee wraps. I know I can dip that a bit lower with knee wraps and pop right up.

I compete in powerlifting, so I use the stance that will allow me to move the most weight. With my gear on, my hip strength, my technique, hams and back, this means going extremely wide. Very few people have the potential to move more weight being a quad dominant/narrow stance squatter.

Why would the sumo stance sldl look worse on the back? I can actually keep my back straighter on those than when I do conventional stance.

Jtteg- Same idea. I go with a moderately wide sumo stance(more narrow than my normal sumo) and bend the knees slightly. The trick is to arch and squeeze the weight off the floor. Very good exercise for the hammies and erectors.

ValleyFR
03-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Why would the sumo stance sldl look worse on the back? I can actually keep my back straighter on those than when I do conventional stance.

Jtteg- Same idea. I go with a moderately wide sumo stance(more narrow than my normal sumo) and bend the knees slightly. The trick is to arch and squeeze the weight off the floor. Very good exercise for the hammies and erectors.

the reason why it looks liek it would be bad for your back is because it looks like that is all you are using and maybe a litle bit of your knees.

Chris Rodgers
03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
What the hell do you think the SL stands for in sldl????

ValleyFR
03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
straight leg dead lift....i know what it stands for but i have been taught differant ways to do it. The way you do it is strange to me because of the wide stance, and then the large amount of weight.