PDA

View Full Version : The OH Squat

Hazerboy
03-14-2007, 02:25 PM
How do you train it?

I picked up this exercise a couple months ago and I love it. Its brutal, but I also loved the progress I've been making. I started with the bar and I slowly but surely added weight. Now I'm repping 3 x 5 with 105 lbs, but my progress has started to stagnate.

My other problem is that I'm working in a cage, and its not really wide enough to get the grip I like. I would just snatch into place, but I'm not that great at the snatch and I don't have bumper weights.

Max Thunder
03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I've only been doing OH regularly very recently. I used to them in the past but my form sucked, I was not able to go very low and my knees were moving toward the exterior way too much. I've spent the last few months mastering the front squat.

Sometimes before doing the OH squat I'll do a front squat rep in which I go as low as I can with the weight helping while trying to arch the back as much as possible. Only doing a ~10 secs rep of this leave me with temporarily very enhanced hip flexibility.

I do 3 sets of 5 (sometimes more on the last set) and I'm only increasing the weight 5 pounds a week.

Can't you do them in front of the cage? I do them in front of the (only) squat rack at my gym. It's the only place where there is enough room for deadlifting and everything else like that. I hang snatch the weigth in place.

As for arms flexibility, one exercise that helped a lot is holding a skipping rope and doing what is called shoulder dislocates. With the hands as close as possible, hold the rope tightly and go from your tight to your lower back.

I'm at 130 lbs now. It feels the most limiting factor will be overhead strength. A tip to help to hold it overhead is to track to rip the bar apart by pulling toward the exterior (activating the triceps in the process). I find I have to use chalk otherwise my hands tend to slowly slide.

Shoulder Dislocates: Hold a bungee cord in front of you, arms hanging. Lock your elbows and grip the cord with all your might. Now rotate your arms up, overhead, and back behind you. As you reach the top and start to feel that familiar pain, spread your arms wider (stretching the bungee) while staying locked out. Reverse to the start position. Do 3-5 reps 3-5 times through out the day.

Sensei
03-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Do a search. We had a contest last summer and there have been at least a few threads on it.

ValleyFR
03-14-2007, 06:59 PM
hey hazerboy, where in missouri are you from man?