PDA

View Full Version : This is funny. Or plain weird. Depends on your mood.

Australian
03-15-2007, 09:51 AM
My gym have a few A4 printouts for their customers. I grabbed one on the way out for a read. It Reads as follows:

Recommended Serving Sizes for Optimum Heath
Bread, Grains and Cereals: Recommended 5 serves per day.
1 serve is equal to:
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice
- A small bowl (45g) of high-fibre cereal
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cooked pasta
- 1 slice of whole meal bread

Vegetables: Recommended 5 serves per day
1 serve is equal to:
- 1/2 cup of cooked veggies
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup of salad veggies
- 1/2 cup of cooked legumes

Fruit: Recommended 2 serves per day
1 serve is equal to:
- 1 piece of fruit
- 2-3 small pieces of fruit
- 1 small bunch of grapes
- 1 cup of fruit in natural juice

Dairy: Recommended 2 serves per day
1 serve is equal to:
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1 small tub of diet yoghurt
- 30g of feta or rediced fat cheese
- 100g loow-fat cottage cheese

Meat or meat substitute: Recommended 1 serve a day
1 serve is equal to:
- 95-150g of raw meat or chicken
- 120-180g of raw fish
- 2 small eggs
- 100g of tofu
- 1/3 cup of nuts
- 1/4 cup of raw seeds
I couldn't believe my eyes. Could my gym owner be such a moron? He is pretty scrawny. I began to think what I would look like if most of my protein was contained in 1/3 cup of nuts per day! This is a gym advertising this stuff too!

Optimum08
03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
hmm. that sounds like a 1 meal for some of us.

ArchAngel777
03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Althought it may not be optimal for musle mass, the average public has no desire to be that, or rather, put in the effort required to do it. You cannot look down on them for that and you cannot trash a medical guideline that caters to the average looking person. Different diets for different goals.

I tell you what, if people ate the above INSTEAD of fast food, they would already be on their way to improving their health exponentially. Besides, a lot of things in that list had protein... You mentioned only the nuts did? I noticed the meat, cottage cheese, nuts, bread, oats, cheese, milk. Is that not protein?

Guido
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
That looks like a rehash of the old food pyramid recommendations. That is old, and bad, information. Even the newer food pyramid has some problems, but it's still better than that.

BFGUITAR
03-15-2007, 03:59 PM
1 serving of meat is too little. Canadas food guide I think reccomends 2-3 servings of meat, and depending on your age up to 4 servings of milk! I dont understand how anyone could get enough calcium off 2 servings of milk a day.

Rock Steady
03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
1 serving of meat is too little. Canadas food guide I think reccomends 2-3 servings of meat, and depending on your age up to 4 servings of milk! I dont understand how anyone could get enough calcium off 2 servings of milk a day.

I sometimes wish milk had less calcium. I drink 16-20 servings a day to get my cals up and can't help but think I'm on the fast track to a bunion! Both my parents had them and weren't even milk lovers. (If excessive calcium doesn't increase my risk of having them, please correct me.)

Roddy
03-15-2007, 05:36 PM
cripes. I eat that as a snack.

ArchAngel777
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Calcium is the 5th most common mineral found on earth. 3.4% of the earths crust is calcium. Nearly anything grown will contain calcium. Milk is actually quite overrated when it comes to calcium anyway. It is sort of like saying milk is a good source of water, it is true, but it certainly isn't the only source nor the best.