PDA

View Full Version : gourmet food I've cooked

McIrish
03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I have decided that my secret passion in life is cooking food - sometimes it's a hit and sometime's it's a miss, depending on what I make. I figure you have to start somewhere, right? I tried to make peanut satay noodles once for my girlfriend, who complained that it "just tasted like peanut butter and noodles." Well, how do you think I made my peanut sauce, dear? :)

Anyhow, yesterday was a slam dunk and I wanted to write up what I made. It's a good feeling - I cooked for my younger brother and sister and my dad, since I'm home from grad school for a few months here while getting gainful employment.

Roasted leg of lamb
- cut 8-10 slits just under the surface of a leg of lamb. Stuff a half clove of garlic into each cut, just under the surface (though the flavor is better if you can get them deeper in).
- squeeze one lemon (or 3-4 tbs lemon juice) into a bowl. Add a dash of salt, a good amount of freshly ground black pepper, and 2 tbsp rosemary. Liberally rub the leg of lamb.
- preheat oven to 425, roast leg for 15-30 min in a roasting pan/deep pan (depending on size - mine was just over 3 lbs, so I went light on that, for about 20 min). Lower heat to 350 and continue roasting for a total roast time of 15-20 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature reaches 145-150. Again, mine took about an hour. If you want it cooked well, leave it in for another 10-15.

Holy crap, I just made rosemary roasted leg of lamb. It was the best food I've ever cooked. I'd recommend periodically giving the outside another quick baste with the lemon juice/rosemary mixture to keep it moist.

Marinated beets
- 3-4 beets
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper

Boil beets (in skins) for about 25 minutes or 30 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat just at the point when a knife slides easily into the beet but meets a little more resistance at the center - they'll keep cooking a little bit after you take them off the heat. Skin beets, toss with about 1 tbsp of oil and vinegar, add chopped chives (optional) and then salt and pepper to taste. I've never enjoyed beets before but these were phenomenal.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of myself. I have nothing to do at home this break except for study, lift, and cook/eat, so expect more on this thread as I get some other inspiration.

Australian
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Well done on your cooking progress. Hey, check out how the Jamaicans eat - rice and beans - and it contains all the essential amino acids for building muscle! Jah maan - Irie!

Mik
03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Mmmmm that lamb sounds awesome. I've gotta try that.

Relentless
03-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Enjoy:
http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/foodsearch.shtml

I have never had bad results with a Food & Drink recipe.

McIrish
03-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Enjoy:
http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/foodsearch.shtml

I have never had bad results with a Food & Drink recipe.

I know, but I'm a bit too proud to sit there with a recipe book and measure what I'm putting in. My g/f chides me on it, saying "there's a reason that other people have recipes... they find out what tastes good so you don't have to," yadda yadda. However, I eschew recipes more out of convenience - I hate constantly having to refer to a book/web page to tell me to put in 1 tbs of this/that rather than just eyeballing it myself, ya know?

I will check out their page for inspiration, though! Thanks, R.

Anyhow, yesterday I made some freaking awesome mango salsa for a grilled salmon.

1 mango
1/2 avocado
1 clove garlic
splash of lemon juice
Caribbean jerk seasoning
freshly ground black pepper
2-3 small cherry tomatoes

Chop up everything fine, mix it up in a small bowl. Grill salmon on high heat on each side for 2 and 1/2 minutes or so. Leave a little longer on the second side to get a nice grilled char. Take off heat, serve with mango salsa, and eat. Goes great with some julienned veggies (I had sweet orange bell peppers).

Australian
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Caribbean jerk seasoningLots of vitamin E huh? :zipit:

McIrish
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Lots of vitamin E huh? :zipit:

Hmmm, does jerk seasoning have a lot of vitamin E? Bonus! I was just using it because it tastes delicious :) I think it's a real nice compliment to something light and sweet, like a mango.

Australian
03-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Err, well, no... Not that type of jerk seasoning. It was a joke.

Alex.V
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Never use a recipe ingredient for ingredient. Ever.