PDA

View Full Version : This is astonishing

Hazerboy
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Excuse me if this article has been posted before (just delete the post). It advocates the use of olympic, bodyweight exercises to develop total body muscular strength.

I always new gymnasts were incredibly strong, but I had no idea this strength would transfer so well to the weightroom!

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

quotes...

"How strong is it possible to become with bodyweight exercises? Amazingly strong. In fact I would go so far as to say, done correctly, far stronger than someone who had trained for the same amount of time with free weights. Want some concrete examples? One of my former students, JJ Gregory (1993 Junior National Champion on the Still Rings) developed such a high degree of strength from my bodyweight conditioning program that on his first day in his high school weightlifting class he deadlifted 400lbs., and this at the scale breaking weight of 135 lbs. and a height of 53. "

"After this I was curious and wanted to measure JJs one rep max on weighted pull-ups. We started fairly light with 10 lbs. or so. I continued adding more weight while JJ performed single rep after single rep. Unfortunately I didnt know about chinning belts and chains at that time and the cheap leather belt we were using broke at 75 lbs. Once again, I repeat, at 75 lbs. and JJ had never performed a weighted pull-up in his life. But he had performed years of my specialized bodyweight conditioning exercises. How much could JJ have chinned that day? We will never know for sure, but I will tell you that at 75 lbs. JJ was laughing and joking with me and did not appear to be noticeably bothered by the weight. "

Sensei
03-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Gymnasts are strong SOBs, no doubt about it. BUT, to deadlift 3xbdwt your first time doing the exercise is a one-in-a-billion occurance.

Planches and levers are nice, but it's a long road from those to the people he's talking about...

PhilsterT
03-16-2007, 02:10 AM
They are amazingly strong!

I have a question:

Isn't the type of strength like lifting (shorter length, more weight) different than that of elongated holds? Can someone explain the two and how they relate.

LevesqueIsKing
03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
^^I was wondering this as well. I wouldnt think that the type of training they are doing in the gym would transfer so succesfully to the weightroom. Seeing as (jsut like the guy above me stated) the work they do is mostly, in lack of a better word, stamina, whyll the work in the weightroom is power.

Anyone explain this?

Hazerboy
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
They're called isometric holds.

There is a point where you're just building endurance, and doing something like this probably isn't going to magically add 50 lbs to your bench, but there's definatly some crossover between that and dynamic movements.

BearD
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah, a lot of the carry over will be in areas such as core work. I've always found I get my best core work more through static holds and the such rather than trunk flexion. My core is pretty well roughed up after sets of squats, deads, and the other stability based ab exercises that I do. The big thing with these body weight exercises, in my opinion, is that it forces you to learn to tense your whole body. While you can learn to squat, deadlift, and bench with small amounts of tension (though small tension=small weight), there's no way you can build up these exercises without gaining superior skills in core strength and tension. By learning to tense yourself, I believe they would have a wonderful carryover towards the powerlifts. Just my 2cents I guess...

Hazerboy
03-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Plus, a couple planche push ups look pretty bad ass.

getfit
03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
That's incredible.Nice read