PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Powerlifter's Diet

123 champ
03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey. For the past 5 months I've been following the basic bodybuilding diet. I was wondering if the diet for a powerlifter is any diffrent? Like ratio wise (p/c/f), the amount of calories eatin, the post workout insulin spike, and the diffrent times during the day to eat each specific food.

Stumprrp
03-15-2007, 10:37 PM
nothing different a good diet is a good diet, people get to confused with powerlifers and crap diets, this is not true all the time, at all.

but, someone like me i wont lie, i eat crap quite often but its tough to always eat good.

123 champ
03-15-2007, 10:52 PM
i just remember reading something once about powerlifters focusing on protein and healthy fats and eating carbs primarily before and after workouts. i wasn't sure if this was correct

Stumprrp
03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
oh no, lol, that sounds like a fat burning diet, powerlifters need their carbs just as much or more then bodybuilders from lifting HEAVY ASS WEIGHT!

RhodeHouse
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Eat everything all the time. It's as simple as that. Sorry if that doesn't sound right.

123 champ
03-18-2007, 01:59 PM
ya but i dont wanna get fat. i have a pretty slow metabolism, even though i eat every 2-3 hours

03-18-2007, 02:06 PM
then eat healthy foods - and that dosnt mean no fat or carbs just eat healthy fats and carbs - but eat lots of em

RhodeHouse
03-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Do what 8 8 said, but don't worry about getting fat. If you're working out hard, you won't get fat. In order to gain weight, you have to gain fat. It's just the way the body works. One of my fondest diets was before a contest last May. I ate McDonald's every night before bed. The memories. In all seriousness, you need to eat clean. Beef, pasta, potatoes, chicken, fish, peanut butter, etc. But, if it's a situation where it's McDonald's or skip a meal, eat McDonald's. You will excel at powerlifting as soon as you stop worrying about being fat and just start getting big.

03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
^^^^^ completly agree -dont forget about veggies though !!!

123 champ
03-19-2007, 12:08 AM
i do eat really clean, i just have a slow metabolism. like, i eat 200 cal every 2 hours from 7am-11pm. (1800cal in one day) i gain about 2 pounds a week on this diet, but like 35% of it is fat on my stomach. i havent eaten any bad food in about 5 months. my diet consists of:

PROTEIN:
fat free milk
fat free/1% cottage cheese (ooo ya)
turkey
steak
chicken
fat free chedder cheese

CARBS:
whole wheat anything (slice bread, pita bread, pasta)
ancient grains (prior to insane squat workouts: mostly quinoa)
oatmeal (lots of oatmeal0
sweet potato
brown rice (like once a year cause i never buy any)
beans
hummus (thats right, hummus is really good for you acutally)
fruit (strawberries, blueberries, mangos, grapefruit)
bananas and gatorade (post workout)
brocoli/aparagus (2-4 cups)
spinach (4-7 cups a day: depending on how much brocoli/aparagus i have)
Lettuse/Peppers/Mushrooms/Onions/Tomatos/Boch Chow (chinese veg)

FATS:
Promise butter with Omega 3s (no trans/hydro. oils)
Olive Oil
Peanut/Almond/Macadamia Nut butter
Udo's blend

DRINKS:
Organic Green/White Tea (half a gallon a day)
Coffee (not much: 1-3 times a week)
Water (1 gallon a day)
Crystal Light

Supplements:
Fish oil
Nitrean
( i also take a multi split up into 3 times a day and ets but those dont count as food lol. oo and i cycle creatine 5 weeks on and 5 weeks off)

Sleepy Guy
03-19-2007, 01:19 AM
then eat healthy foods - and that dosnt mean no fat or carbs just eat healthy fats and carbs - but eat lots of em

:micro: Eat eat eat. was that covered? :redface: If you are gaining to much work out harder.

Unholy
03-19-2007, 01:37 AM
eat!

Isaac Wilkins
03-19-2007, 05:30 AM
The others are right as far as a good powerlifting diet goes. Cleaner, healthier food is always better. Powerlifters should worry about making sure they're getting enough food, as being in a fed state will ensure that their strength is the highest. Ideally it'd be a clean diet like yours. Those who base their diet around junk as a means for performance are generally being lazy. As Rhodes said, it's far better (in the PLifting world) to hit McD's than nothing at all, but get your good food in first.

All of that goes out the window if you're trying to stay in a weight class, though. If that's the case then you'll need to restrict your food as necessary to maintain weight. Make sure you're eating a healthy diet in that case, as your food intake won't be as high, so nutrient density will be important.

Why are you cycling creatine?

123 champ
03-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Why are you cycling creatine?

To get stronger...why else?

PowerManDL
03-19-2007, 05:49 AM
He means that there's no need to cycle it. Just keep using it.

123 champ
03-19-2007, 05:54 AM
umm dont's the effects wear off if u use it for long periods of time? if they dont than what would be the best way for me to take it? (breakfast, preworkout, postworkout, dinner)

Isaac Wilkins
03-19-2007, 06:28 AM
No, the effects don't wear off. Creatine (no creatine = no creatine phosphate system = no ATP = you die) is a naturally created energy source in the body, and your body will continue to hold the higher load assuming you continue to supplement.

Realistically it doesn't matter all that much when you take it since it's a loaded product. For maximal uptake it's best to take it during periods of heightened nutrient storage, when insulin sensitivity is the highest. This usually means breakfast, preworkout, or postworkout. I personally take mine in my pre and during workout shakes, but that's just how I do it. Just take it with protein and carbs.

Sleepy Guy
03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
What about the idea that creatine play havoc on the kidneys and liver and such?

Any one know how long that stuff has been out?

On a side note, I got some home grown beef and damn for the price it can not be beat. And it's all I can eat! Steak steak steak.

Guido
03-19-2007, 01:45 PM

On a side note, I got some home grown beef and damn for the price it can not be beat. And it's all I can eat! Steak steak steak.Nothing wrong with some quality, lean, homegrown beef! Creatine has been around for quite a long time so as long as you don't go crazy with it and stay hydrated there shouldn't be any negative effects.

Stumprrp
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
i agree with all of these posts a ton, eat food often and alot of it, quality food, if its a little sloppy such as say a pastrami sandwich on white bread or a cheeseburger from BK, still eat it.

Nik00117
03-19-2007, 02:16 PM
This is one of the reasons I enjoy Powerlifting over bodybuilding.

First get the food down
Second worry about waht you just put down.

Stumprrp
03-19-2007, 02:31 PM
hell yeah!! such as that piece of chicken with melted mozerella italian ham and roasted peppers i just ate!

:D

vedelmi
07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
ive been lifting for about 9 months and been eating the same sence i started lifting and i lost about 40 lbs and im still droping:)

StormTheBeach
07-13-2011, 12:07 PM

On a side note, I got some home grown beef and damn for the price it can not be beat. And it's all I can eat! Steak steak steak.

I wouldn't eat those steaks if you are worried about creatine.

Alex.V
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Let's play a fun game. Everyone try to remember where they were in life when this thread was started.

StormTheBeach
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I've done some pretty extreme dieting in the past. Like going from 280 to 229 in 15 weeks (July-October last year) for a meet. For me, protein stays the same no matter what my goals are. I get in 320-340 grams a day. Fats are pretty high but they come from fish oil, primrose oil, natural peanut butter, and whatever is in the meats I eat. Carbs vary depending on the goals I have. When I dropped all that weight, I was cycling 3 Low Days (100g a day) and 4 Medium Days (300g a day) and doing some easy fasted morning cardio. I was up to 290 for a couple weeks this year and to get there I had 2 Ultra High (800g/day) 2 High (500g/day) and 3 low (100-200g/day). That worked well but I felt like shit all the time. Currently, I do not care what my weight is and I am sitting around 280-285.

chris mason
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
What a powerlifter should eat, as with any athlete, depends on their goals and individual heredity.

This is an old thread, but man, I think I read the guy was eating 1,800 calories per day??? Had to have been a troll...