PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting: should I be fatigued?

123 champ
03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Usually at the end of my workouts (strength training), I'm not very fatigued or tired, although I do lift heavy weights (ill pyramid my way up to 95% of my max and do 2-3 working sets of 2-3 reps depending whether i can get the 3rd rep or not) but I'm just never tired afterwords. I could continue to do at least 4 more working sets, but i don't i'm supposed to. Then I'll do 2 x 8 sets of moderate-heavy skull crushers (i use a weight that i can only get 8 good reps out of), and 3 sets of weight bench dips till failure. But about 2 min after my workout, im fine and could go throw another whole workout. Should powerlifters be very fatigued after a workout , or is this normal? Will my muscles and strenth still go up? Should i throw in a 3rd lighter set of skull crushers and work to compelete failure (like with the last few reps only being able to go a third of the way up)?

Sensei
03-15-2007, 09:56 PM
From Beyond Bodybuilding:

'Overall load [sets, reps, proximity to failure, rest between sets, the number and order of exercises, the degree of recovery from the last workout, the length of the session, etc.] must vary so that some days you barely leave... and others you would love to do more but can't - the plan forbids.' (Galenchik, 1999)

vdizenzo
03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I normally feel like I am battling polio after every workout I have. More than the weight you lift, it is the intensity at which you train.

Detard
03-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I normally feel like I am battling polio after every workout I have. More than the weight you lift, it is the intensity at which you train.

hahaha i hear you man. I trudged upstairs after my workout today and my mom asked me to bring up my laundry. "I'll do it tomrmow mom, I cant lift anything right now".