PDA

View Full Version : Protien pulsing

jock
02-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Just been reading Makki's excellant article on protien and it got me thinking. Anyway, I read an article recently in ironman about protien pulsing. Basically, it suggested that there may be a couple of times a day when protien receptors become sensitised and these times are when we should be consuming in excess of 60 grams. Im at uni at the moment so i dont have the article to hand but it has a basic guide for protien ratios per meal (if anyone is interested i will post them later on 2nite). Anyway, according to this article if 30-50 grams of protien are consumed every three hours then the protien receptors become desensitised. So basically by 'pulsing' protien, protien use becomes more efficient.

Has anyone else heard anything about this as some the rational in the article was quite interesting. Has anyone actually used this method for protien consumption? Anyway, your thoughts on this would be appreciated and interesting, Cheers.

gino
02-20-2002, 11:11 AM
I didn't realize there were protein receptors. Sounds whacky.

Blood&Iron
02-20-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jock

Has anyone else heard anything about this as some the rational in the article was quite interesting. Has anyone actually used this method for protien consumption? Anyway, your thoughts on this would be appreciated and interesting, Cheers.
Michael Gundill aka Dharkham is full of sh*t. His article is full of wholes. He uses a study that was performed on 80 year old women that showed increased protein synthesis when they were put on a "protein pulse" diet. A 2nd study,which he fails to mention, was performed using younger women(I think median age was 23.) and the result was either no increase in protein synthesis or a decrease in protein synthesis(I can't recall off-hand.) Anyways, conclusion: if you're an 80-year old post-menopausal non-exercising woman the "protein pulse" idea might be worth a shot. Otherwise, not a good idea. Gundill is one of those people who can make a bad idea sound good by blatantly misrepresenting data.

gino
02-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Anyways, conclusion: if you're an 80-year old post-menopausal non-exercising woman the "protein pulse" idea might be worth a shot.

Any takers? Tryska?

Paul Stagg
02-20-2002, 12:03 PM
LMAO!

Lots of bodybuilding 'facts' start out as totally misinterpreted or meaningless studies.

Maki Riddington
02-20-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Michael Gundill aka Dharkham is full of sh*t. His article is full of wholes. He uses a study that was performed on 80 year old women that showed increased protein synthesis when they were put on a "protein pulse" diet. A 2nd study,which he fails to mention, was performed using younger women(I think median age was 23.) and the result was either no increase in protein synthesis or a decrease in protein synthesis(I can't recall off-hand.) Anyways, conclusion: if you're an 80-year old post-menopausal non-exercising woman the "protein pulse" idea might be worth a shot. Otherwise, not a good idea. Gundill is one of those people who can make a bad idea sound good by blatantly misrepresenting data.

*** One of my references inluded that study but it was to make the point that the body indeed can withstand more than the normal 30 grams that has been pushed for so many decades.

I myself posted my disbelief on another board that this study in France actually was shedding new light on the whole protein cycling debate.

Imo it is bollocks until stronger evidence states otherwise.

aeckhardt
02-20-2002, 03:38 PM
I don't believe in pulse eating like that, but I have always wondered about protein starving.

Anybody want me to find the link?