PDA

View Full Version : my football weight training routine.

bo-da beast71
03-16-2007, 08:06 PM
im a frshmen in highschool and play o-line and d-line. i want some ffedback on what my weight training routine looks like for a football routine.
its based on push/pull.

day1- push day
bench press
squat
dips
hack squat
lunges
front db shoulder raise
miltary db press

day2- pull day
power cleans
deadlift
bent over bb rows
side lateral raise
good mornings
pull-ups
shrugs

day3- push day
bench press
milltary db press
squat
dips
calves
db lunge
db flys

day4- pull day
deadlift
power cleans
pull-ups
bent over bb rows
good mornings
stiff leg straight back dead lifts
v-bar rows

I do conditioning 5 days a week, i do specialty speed trainig three times a week, i do abs/obliques five times a week.and dont leave sarcastic or smart ass comments please.

ValleyFR
03-16-2007, 09:39 PM
the reps would be nice...

Unholy
03-16-2007, 09:59 PM
I would give it more rest between push and pull.

bo-da beast71
03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
on the core lifts like deadlift, squat, bench, power clean i follow my schools chart for reps and sets. i usually do rest i didnt put that in though. for everything else i do 3x5 or 3x8 unkess its pullups or dips, for those i do as much as i can

ValleyFR
03-17-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

Scorpion32
03-22-2007, 11:01 AM
on the core lifts like deadlift, squat, bench, power clean i follow my schools chart for reps and sets. i usually do rest i didnt put that in though. for everything else i do 3x5 or 3x8 unkess its pullups or dips, for those i do as much as i can

If you are getting high reps on dips and Pull ups you can do weighted at 5's or 8's to add additional strength.

aming37
03-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't think the shoulder raises and the flies are necesicary. Also, make sure you change the exercises every 6-8 weeks and the reps every 3-4 weeks so you don't plateau. Day 4 sounds like it would be pretty hard on your lower back. You may not feel it now but when you're older you might.

Over all, your program is pretty good. At least you have lots of posterior chain work, which is usually neglected by high school athletes. However, I agree with ValleyFR. DeFranco's program is better than any program you or I can come up with.

One last thing. Make sure you're eating healthy: keep the junk to a minimum and take pre and post workout protein shakes. I consume 16g of protein and 32g of carbs 15 minutes before I work out, 16g of protein and 32g of carbs during my workout and 32g of protein and 64g of carbs after. I use Nitrean for the protein and dextrose for the carbs, all mixed in milk.

Coachmanor
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
High Intensity low sets high reps will get both strength and conditioning done for you. Do this pick 10 lift to concentrate solely on for 66 days. Preform each to perfection for one set to failure 3 days per week. When you can do 12 plus reps before failure, the next day you lift increase the weight by 20+lbs. Be sure not to lift on consecutive days. After 66 days of this kind of training take 2 weeks off and concentrate on getting your footwork right for football. Then return to the plan same 10 lifts except this time you go on a rotationary routine i.e. Monday 10 lifts no breaks in between sets, Wednesday 10 lifts no breaks all negatives to failure. Friday same as Monday. Week 2 Monday & Friday do what you did on Wednesday wk1. and Wednesday do what you did for the previous Monday Friday. Rotate like this for 90 days. Rest for 2 weeks. Then evaluate your progress.

Coachmanor
04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Try this work on your cleans 3 days per week.
Day 1 Deadlift, Upright rows, and front squats (during these front squats do not cross your forearms for the front squats but instead grip the bar as though you are at the racked point of a power clean) do these lifts paired with your usual Monday routine do not exceed 15 differnet lifts for the day.
Day 2 Hang Cleans (60% of your power clean max) paired with your regular work out.
Day 3 Plyos- plus day 1 heavy routine.

Once you improve and become comfortable with your ability to clean first replace hang cleans with power cleans. Then periodicly do clean variations (super cleans, Clean and press, the bear and any other clean variation you come across)