PDA

View Full Version : Work Capacity after a "rest" Week

KingJustin
03-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I hate the rest week, and so for at least a year straight I never took one. Up until a couple weeks ago.

I gave myself 7 days off training, then came back and hit the gym 3 days straight (really light with high reps), got sick, and took another 4 days off. I'm fine now and am lifting today, but I get the feeling that my work capacity has gone down a lot. I felt like I had enough work capacity to hit the gym/track/mat about 9-10x a week before my break.

How do I build back up to that, and eventually increase it? Do I start with it right away? Increase up to it? Do some kind of cycle or wave loading?

Thanks!

Sensei
03-18-2007, 12:09 PM
You really shouldn't have lost any significant work capacity at all during that week off unless you were bed-ridden and sick... A week isn't really enough time to consider yourself detrained.

PoutineEh
03-18-2007, 12:15 PM
you should really utilize rest weeks more often than once a year. its hard once you get in the habbit of going to the gym X number of times a week to just take a break. instead of not going to the gym during a rest period, just take it easy and do some higher rep work and stop atleast 2-3 reps short of failure and lower your total volume lifted.

KingJustin
03-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Poutine: Yeah, I think that's a good idea. I hate rest weeks because it takes me 3 weeks to recover from them. I lose all my muscle adaptations and then I can't hit 90% of my old 1rm. If I just lighten the load for a week I think it would work pretty well. Thanks.

Sensei: I was not bed ridden or anything. I feel a bit better knowing that I have a little less to prepare for.

That said, just as a general theory question, how do you go about building your work capacity? I'd like to be able to work out 12x in a week, doing different types of workouts (i.e. mass building, strength training, anaerobic cardio, GPP, etc). I feel like if I currently have the capacity to train only 7x a week and I just go ahead and train 10x a week for a full month, then I'm going to be overtraining, even if the extra 3 sessions are all GPP-type stuff.

So, what is the ideal way?
Should you have a 2-week loading block, followed by a unloading block, then go back to additional loading?
Should you just add one extra workout so that if you have been doing 6, you do 7 workouts, then after a month you do 8, then 9?

Thanks.

Sensei
03-19-2007, 01:44 AM
That said, just as a general theory question, how do you go about building your work capacity? I'd like to be able to work out 12x in a week, doing different types of workouts (i.e. mass building, strength training, anaerobic cardio, GPP, etc). I feel like if I currently have the capacity to train only 7x a week and I just go ahead and train 10x a week for a full month, then I'm going to be overtraining, even if the extra 3 sessions are all GPP-type stuff.
You build up your work capacity the same way you would anything else - waving loads, volume, and training frequency and gradually progressing upward.

Why in the world would you want to work out 12x/week???

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you and you mean 12x/week and 7 of those are just mini-sessions with a few sets of chins or stretching (?)....

KingJustin
03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, I do MMA, and so between that, lifting, and cardio, I feel like it would be beneficial for me to be able to train a lot. If, on top of everything else, I could do a quick cardio session 3x a week and then some plyos a couple times that would be pretty ideal I think.

Sensei
03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
MMA 4x/wk + Lifting 3x/wk + cardio 3x/wk + plyos 2x/wk = too much IMHO. I think you are trying to do too much all at once. Periodizing your training would probably yield you better results.

Sure, there are plenty of athletes that could handle that, but it would require very intelligent programming. If you decide to hell w. me and try it, just make sure to bag a lot of the workouts or you're going to be overtrained pretty quickly.

KingJustin
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh, I'm not just going to start training 12x a week right away. I'm just trying to build up to it and wanted to know the best way to go about that.

I was doing fine training 7-10x a week before my break, even while cutting. I can recognize when I'm overtraining and I wouldn't say I was.