PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again, I start to cut and now I have an "eating disorder"

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 06:48 PM
When I first lost all my weight, (in a very bad way, eating almost nothing and running for miles) I went all the way down to about 154, and my family was irrate about it. My aunt began to tell people I had an eatting disorder, and maybe the word anarexic popped up a few times, I dont know. Regardless, I never had any intentions of going lower then 154. I would have been happy with 160, but my metabolism was so boosted as soon as I started to bulk, I still lost weight. (I started adding kcals very slowly)

So I bulk up to 186, and at New Years start my first cut. Everything was fine, no one really took notice at first. I have been cutting for almost 4 months, I'm eatting about an average of 1900-2000 kcals a day, and I'm now down to about 164. (I'm 18 and 5'11) However this has been a cut, so my strength is almost virtually unchanged from when I stopped bulking. Maybe 5lbs lower in a couple, some I'm pushing even higher. I have lost an everage of 1lb a week, so it hasnt been anything drastic, and I have been very controlling in my diet.

Here come the accusations of having an eating disorder again. Saying I'm too light for my frame, and all this crap. I'm trying to get my abs to show, and they are coming, but I know they are about maybe 3-5 lbs of fat away from being really visable, and my mom is threatening to call the doctor if I keep losing weight. Regardless, I love being thin, I love being lean, but I do expect to start bulking again mid-april to may.

Are they making a big deal out of nothing? Cause I am getting extremely pissed off about this whole thing.

Nongan
03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
honestly, 164 and 5'11" is not THAT small. i'd say its an average build, and as long as its mostly muscle (sub 15% bodyfat), I'd say your actually pretty healthy. I'm 170 and 5'10"-5'11" (i donno anymore, somewhere in there, lol), and probably 12 or 13% bodyfat, and never once have i ever been called anorexic. i'd classify myself as atheltic. and i don't know where you go to school, but where i live, most of the kids my height weigh less than me or if they do weigh more, its all fat. heck, i'm a soccer player and I out squat/deadlift all but 1 player on our football team XD.

Turnip
03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
If your abs arent even showing I find it hard to believe your to thin for your frame, though its hard to judge from theory alone.

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
If your abs arent even showing I find it hard to believe your to thin for your frame, though its hard to judge from theory alone.

I can see my abs, when I flex the top 2 are very visable, and the are of the abs pop out, I also have a small crease down the middle of my abs, but its not nearly as defined as I would like. Washboard might be what I'm looking to achieve lol. Relaxed, you can see the outline of the abs sticking out, but individual abs are a little harder to make out.

Majestic
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Your family isn't going to understand, and that's that.

When you come home in Summer of 2008, and try on your old varsity jacket just for *****s & giggles, but it's too small, maybe they'll start to understand.

BTW, I look for your next bulk to be incredible, especially if you've held onto your strength for this long. You are going to be one bad mofo when you start eating at or above maintenance again.

Paul Stagg
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
You are 5'11", 165, and cutting?

Really?

I'm worried about you, too.

Holto
03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
4 months is a fairly long time to cut.

I say bulk for a month or two.

n4rd0
03-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Really?

i agree ... and why the 4 month cut ?

jed
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
you know, you can be 290 lbs and also have a 6 pack showing, you dont have to be tiny. link---> http://www.realdutchpower.nl/nieuwsoverzicht2003/mariusz3.jpg
mariusz pudzianowski is my hero.

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Hmm, I guess I will start to bulk again soon. I would just hate to see all my progess of getting my belly fat away go down the drain.

Is it ok to start my bulk with a cheat day? lol

Sensei
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM

Really?

Ditto. I say this often, but the endless cycle of bulking and cutting around here is just awful - 99% of the members here would be better off just eating more and lifting harder.

Alex.V
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Ditto. I say this often, but the endless cycle of bulking and cutting around here is just awful - 99% of the members here would be better off just eating more and lifting harder.

Agreed completely.

Built
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
My .02 on this: ease the calories up very gradually until you start gaining a couple pounds a month, and stay there for a few months. You feel the need to cut again after that, do so.

Post up some pix so we can help you judge, okay?

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Here are some pictures. I apologize for the lighting and the closeness. All I have is a crappy webcam to take pictures with, so therefore the poses are bad, cause I have to hold the camera. You get the idea though.

The lighting on some pics are very generous though lol.

Built
03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
My earlier opinion stands. You've cut enough - now you need to ease your calories up and start lifting like a BEAST!

Holto
03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
It looks to me like you might have some extra skin from when you were heavier. Given your age I'm pretty sure it will go away.

Just doing shorter cycles will help in two regards:

1) when you bulk you won't gain nearly as much fat

2) when you cut, your family is less likely to notice

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok, so I dont look like grossly thin do I? XD lol

Hmm, well here is what is happening. Next Monday I have a cheat day (havnt had one in a while cause I'm going to a Killswitch Engage concert so i put it in there) So, is starting a bulk on a cheat day a bad way to start? KFC snackers are going to fear me next monday XD

Built
03-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Perfectly reasonable. Then go to 2200 calories for a week or two, then 2400 ... ease them up slowly while ramping up your workouts a bit. You need to pack on some meat!

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
You need to pack on some meat!

For real dude.

The meathead in me wants to say something very meat-headish, but I will just say that you need to spend some considerable time building a base.

IMO, someone who is around 5'9" - 511" needs to get to around 200lbs before they consider cutting.

Wanting to be ripped and not huge is cool and all, (to each their own) but half the people posting pics wanting cutting advice don't have much to work with to begin with.

I was stuck in a "I have to be cut" mindset since the summer up until recently. Funny enough, I am getting more looks from girls letting go of my "lean" obsession and even dudes are saying I look better......for what it's worth.

Con
03-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Didnt you do UD2.0 slim?

@Sensei - But then how would you judge progress? What if you arent really looking to be a world class athlete? Its always been my mindset, that you HAVE TO train and eat for your goals. Maybe im reaching here, but being a semi fat kid, I dont always like the advise of eat more.

@Magna - You look pretty lean. Gl with w/e you try to do.

smokinHawk
03-20-2007, 06:24 AM
if i were you id just keep my calories at maintance or just a tad above and work on building muscle, not eating to much to put on much fat, but just enough were you have the oppertunity to grow, that way when your muscles start to grow and demand more food it will lean you out a bit as well.

MagnaSephiroth
03-20-2007, 08:08 AM
I bumped up my kcals a bit last night before going to bed, and hopefully I will be at maintenence soon. The thing about my situation is I want to be ripped, but not huge. I want to have way more strength then I look like I have. The way I dress, (ok I will spill the beans..I'm emo/scene XD) is I like to wear tighter clothes. Undershirt, Small (preferably slimfit) t-shirt, usually a Medium zip up sweatshirt, and skinny jeans. (please dont be critical of my style, thats not why I'm telling you this information) With the clothes I wear, having a tummy is a big no no.

I have a lot of things coming up that require me to be smaller, I have a costume event, in which I wear a costume (lol) so being thin for that is pretty manditory to match the character, not to mention the whole 3 days im going to be pigging out ;] Then I want to look good for graduation. Never know when my shirt might be off during these times. (haha joking)

Bah, I'm just going to go slow, I might maintain myself where I'm at for a few weeks even just to enjoy it without the stress of losing weight :]

Paul Stagg
03-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Based on the posts and photos in this thread, I can only say this:

Eat. Everything.

Train like your life depends on it. On a basic routine.

You won't gain much fat, and you'll gain so much muscle you won't have to worry about it.

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Didnt you do UD2.0 slim?

Yes.

...... ?

Con
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Yes.

...... ?

Just got the idea that you are telling magna to do the simple thing and gain some weight. What im basically saying is that you use yourself as an example whe you did something much more complicated which would take advantage of both worlds(cutting and bulking).

Just seemed a little odd to me. This make sense?

smokinHawk
03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
lol emos, i thought it was against their religion to lift weights, only not eat.
sorry......lol

just lift hard and eat normal then id not worry to much about bulking / cutting.

Unreal
03-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Con, but slim isn't a skinny little kid. He has a base to work with. People who are "cutting" with little muscle mass are just going to land up looking like concentration camp survivors.

McIrish
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a lot of things coming up that require me to be smaller, I have a costume event, in which I wear a costume (lol) so being thin for that is pretty manditory to match the character, not to mention the whole 3 days im going to be pigging out ;] Then I want to look good for graduation. Never know when my shirt might be off during these times. (haha joking)

Seph, it's time to come clean... you're going to an anime convention in costume, aren't you? :)

Seriously though...your frame looks good enough - I think the entire "I feel fat!" is probably just in your head. Believe me, people aren't looking at you syaing "That kid is fat". Just eat healthy and lift heavy and stop worrying about putting on 5-10 pounds to lose them again in two months.

Con
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Unreal, then what is the cut off mark between little kids and adults who should be cutting bulking? Is it age? weight? experience?

Im sure the people recommending forming a base are correct(it makes sense) but when does the "eat healthy, dont worry about calories" advise get to unapplicable? Im young still, but I want progress towards my goals. After reading, I doubt excess calories will care if im young and trying to form a base. They will get stored, and extra fat will do nothing for improving body composition - I know I am, and im sure magna want improved body composition.

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Just got the idea that you are telling magna to do the simple thing and gain some weight. What im basically saying is that you use yourself as an example whe you did something much more complicated which would take advantage of both worlds(cutting and bulking).

Just seemed a little odd to me. This make sense?

I was 220-225 when I began cutting and then moved to UD2.

Con
03-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Just to be certain, I wasnt trying to sound offensive. Just saying that you two were in obviously different situations.

When do you believe it is applicable to start bulk/cut cycles, and overall start paying attention to the smaller details?

Vapour Trails
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
When I first lost all my weight, (in a very bad way, eating almost nothing and running for miles) I went all the way down to about 154, and my family was irrate about it. My aunt began to tell people I had an eatting disorder, and maybe the word anarexic popped up a few times, I dont know. Regardless, I never had any intentions of going lower then 154. I would have been happy with 160, but my metabolism was so boosted as soon as I started to bulk, I still lost weight. (I started adding kcals very slowly)

So I bulk up to 186, and at New Years start my first cut. Everything was fine, no one really took notice at first. I have been cutting for almost 4 months, I'm eatting about an average of 1900-2000 kcals a day, and I'm now down to about 164. (I'm 18 and 5'11) However this has been a cut, so my strength is almost virtually unchanged from when I stopped bulking. Maybe 5lbs lower in a couple, some I'm pushing even higher. I have lost an everage of 1lb a week, so it hasnt been anything drastic, and I have been very controlling in my diet.

Here come the accusations of having an eating disorder again. Saying I'm too light for my frame, and all this crap. I'm trying to get my abs to show, and they are coming, but I know they are about maybe 3-5 lbs of fat away from being really visable, and my mom is threatening to call the doctor if I keep losing weight. Regardless, I love being thin, I love being lean, but I do expect to start bulking again mid-april to may.

Are they making a big deal out of nothing? Cause I am getting extremely pissed off about this whole thing.

Time to move out. Most people won't understand the desire to get really lean. You obviously don't have a disorder.

Sensei
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
@Sensei - But then how would you judge progress? What if you arent really looking to be a world class athlete? Its always been my mindset, that you HAVE TO train and eat for your goals. Maybe im reaching here, but being a semi fat kid, I dont always like the advise of eat more.
My advice wasn't to a semi-fat kid. My advice was to a 5'11'" kid who's weight fluctuates from 155 to 185.... That said, I'd give basically the same advice to a semi-fat kid = eat clean and eat a lot and train your balls off - for most, given relatively intelligent programming, that would lead to the changes in body composition they are looking for.

You judge progress objectively; by the weights you are pushing in the weight room, by bodyfat %s and scale (if that's a goal), conditioning, etc - part of the problem w. so many people here (again IMHO) is that they are judging their progress w. a mirror.

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Just to be certain, I wasnt trying to sound offensive. Just saying that you two were in obviously different situations.

When do you believe it is applicable to start bulk/cut cycles, and overall start paying attention to the smaller details?

I gotcha, no worries.

I think Sensei's advice/opinion above pretty much sums up what I feel. I didn't concentrate on cutting until I was 200 lbs back in early 2000, 4 years after having started lifting.

I can't say there is a definitive weight or BF% one should attain before analyzing the spices of life. But I do think that if one is at that point, they will know it themsleves. And believe me, this is something I am still learning myself.

Con
03-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Sensei - Appreciate the honesty. You got me thinking alot, but still not sure.
Just wondering however, if someone were to take your advise completely, what should their plan look like? Calories dont matter as long as they are healthy, lift heavy, include GPP are just some example I can think of.

Slim - Out of curiosity, where you self concious about how you look? I know I am, and this is my primary motivation to lift and eat healthy. Health benefits are a plus aswell, but I wont lie when I say, looking good now is more important to me than my health is years to come.

Magna - Sry for kinda taking over your thread but this stuff has been on my mind for a while.

Paul Stagg
03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
The thing is, with some sensible behavior changes as Sensei suggests, the mirror will, well, mirror the objective results.

MagnaSephiroth
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Seph, it's time to come clean... you're going to an anime convention in costume, aren't you? :)

Seriously though...your frame looks good enough - I think the entire "I feel fat!" is probably just in your head. Believe me, people aren't looking at you syaing "That kid is fat". Just eat healthy and lift heavy and stop worrying about putting on 5-10 pounds to lose them again in two months.

Sure am :] Im in the process of making my costume now, and if I gain too much weight and the costume doesnt fit right come con time, I'm going to blow a fuse (I am very into the cosplay)

On a side note, sitting at school in art class (senior :]) I was the heaviest person in my group of 5 people, and there was even a kid 2 inches taller then me. Well I didn't ask the girl, but I'm assuming shes below 165.

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Slim - Out of curiosity, where you self concious about how you look? .

Do you mean was I, b/c I was cutting?

McIrish
03-20-2007, 10:28 PM
(I am very into the cosplay)

Say it isn't sooooo!! Haha, turn away from the dark side! Get into the gym and replace cosplay with deadlift. :thumbup: :)

My bro and sis both live in Japan, so I get enough secondary anime exposure to kill a man ;)

Con
03-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Do you mean was I, b/c I was cutting?

Actaully I meant was did you get into weightlifting/eating right because you were self concious about the way you look. I ask because I know some people actually just like to lift, and it makes them extrememly happy.

MagnaSephiroth
03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I kind of got snippits of the other conversation, but whats wrong with using the mirror as results? If you look good and thats your goal, theres nothing wrong with it. I look at everything, weight, BF, mirror(appearance), and strength. If more then one of them is lacking, I do what I can to change it. I see it more as one then as seperate statistics.

Altephor
03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I would have been happy with 160, but my metabolism was so boosted as soon as I started to bulk, I still lost weight. (I started adding kcals very slowly)

You didn't eat anything for a long time... and you think this boosted your metabolism? tuttut

Roddy
03-21-2007, 09:11 PM

Really?

I agree

Validus
03-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Some people are just really wierd about the whole loosing weight thing. They think it is such an unachevable task to drop that much weight they have to use some excuse to explain it away. Thats where the eating disorder thing comes into play. I've been through this whole thing before when I dropped from 198-175. Granted I took my time but people still say you have to be cheating somehow.........No I JUST KNOW HOW TO READ AND ADD...... It's the same story when I started to get big and watch out here come the roid comments lol. Just dont' let it get to you keep doing what you're doing

ShockBoxer
03-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Once again, I weigh that much.

And I'm seven inches shorter.

And, if your pics are any indication, about the same body fat.

EAAAAAAAT!

ArchAngel777
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
You didn't eat anything for a long time... and you think this boosted your metabolism? tuttut

He didn't say that.