PDA

View Full Version : cardio Q's

millertime
02-20-2002, 04:02 PM
I have a few questions regarding cardio.

For your body to start burning fat you need to raise your heart rate 65%. is that true?

If so then would raising your heart 70% burn more fat faster?

Should you have a protein shake after a just cardio session? I was thinking maybe half a shake.

What do you think about doing 20mins of cardio before a workout and then 20 mins after a workout?

I can only do cardio for about 20 mins then I become really bored and must do something else. Does two 20 min cardio session equal one 40 min cardio session.

CBates
02-20-2002, 04:11 PM
I'm not too sure about all of your questions, but doing cardio before weight lifting will burn enough glycogen out of your muscle cells to make your weight lifting ineffective.

BCC
02-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Yeah, bates is right. You should definately lift before you do any cardio. That way, by the time you get to cardio you'll be burning fat instead of your glycogen stores.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 04:18 PM
<---agrees with CBates and BigChaseyChase on the the lifting before cardio.
If you only do cardio, I would wait about 30 minutes to have some food. Some may dispute this.

millertime
02-20-2002, 05:08 PM
Slim
Do you eat real food or have a shake half hour after cardio?

Shocker
02-20-2002, 05:20 PM
have a shake during cardio. ;) hehe

If it is a cardio day, then I personally will go for less filling supplements like glutamine mixed with Gatorade, or perhaps some other aminos and Creatine, then save the shakes for the weights.

boredom? Take a walkman and go 20 mins on treadmill, 20 mins on bike or ergo - does the trick for me.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Do you eat real food or have a shake half hour after cardio?
Well, b/c of work and time constrictions, I will normally have a shake of whey and malto (not that I'm trying to get an insulin boost,..it's just quick and easy) But, i would prefer whole food.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 05:41 PM
have a shake during cardio. heh
shocker, you being serious man?

Shocker
02-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Slim Schaedle

shocker, you being serious man?
naw it was a joke, that would be a shake huh?
like you are running on a treadmill and milk is going everywhere...hey, that's me!

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 07:41 PM
lol, ya....the stuff would probably go through your system so fast and you'd sheet your pants on the threadmill. That wouldn't be a pretty sight:)

Shocker
02-20-2002, 07:49 PM
and you'd be slipping on crap flying out all over the people on the exercise bikes behind you. Then your slender blender gets caught on the controls when you are mixing in a banana and you have to press a the emergency stop button...

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 07:57 PM
imagine the janitor that has to clean the poo off the mirrors
(this is getting kinda nasty)

Shocker
02-20-2002, 08:02 PM
Yes, because the usual cleaning utensils not so much as mop it up as they do smear it around. Best thing to do is wait until it dries, is usually what I do when I poo on the mirror.

Anyway you think cleaning the mirror is bad, imagine trying to get the pieces of corn out of the treadmill axel!

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 08:35 PM
sounds like you've had experience doing this before:)

Shocker
02-20-2002, 10:55 PM
hehe

YatesNightBlade
02-21-2002, 03:08 AM
Cardio and weight training should be done on different days and not in the same session.

Tryska
02-21-2002, 04:27 AM
:bang:

why did i open this thread?

Budiak
02-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Cripes, shut up freaks.

Anyways, to answer your question, the 65% zone is the ideal zone for burning fat because it is high enough to require burning of extra energy from the body from unnecessary areas (fat for example) but not intense enough to require the body to create energy from more readily available sources such as the liver and muscles, etc. Thats the going theory.

The theories behind this are basically that if you run at 70-80%, the body doesnt know if you are running for fitness or running from a horde of zombies, so it uses energy from wherever it can get it. The body basically goes into survival mode, doing what it can to stay standing, at the demise of your precious muscle tissue.

I'm not saying I understand all of this or believe it, I'm just a simple caveman who is scared of your running machines. Me lift, me get big. This is just the overall opinion in nerdy cardio world.

Friggin...jeez man, no. Good lord, no!

YatesNightBlade
02-21-2002, 06:31 AM
heh

Tryska
02-21-2002, 06:53 AM
screw the fat -burning zone. just do your cardio (HIIT is the best-imo). the fat burning happens outside of the gym. it's like trying to lift for fat-burning. it's stupid.

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2002, 07:06 AM
:withstupi HIIT rules,
I get better results from doing 20 minutes, than some people i see in there for an hour.

Tryska
02-21-2002, 07:08 AM
but they are doing an hour in the fat-burning zone.

spulusani
02-21-2002, 07:44 AM
what is hiit?

Tryska
02-21-2002, 07:46 AM
high intensity interval training.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

click on training, and then click on the article that says : "Fartlek- swedish for ass-whuppin"

millertime
02-21-2002, 09:37 AM
thanks Tryska for the link. I'm going to try HIIT friday. I'll tell you how it went.

Tryska
02-21-2002, 09:38 AM
cool. good luck! hopefully you will be in a world of hurt.

millertime
02-21-2002, 09:41 AM
I think I can handle it :)

ericg
02-21-2002, 10:40 AM
Just a word of advice. I used to do intervals. Sprint and walk for 50 yards each. Course I never warmed up (i did stretch) and pulled my quad. It really sucked. So make sure you get warm: Stretch, jog, and stretch some more than get into the intervals.

FYI, I will be starting these back up as well. I am looking forward to them actually.

Shocker
02-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Run like you are running from a horde of zombies.

This being a non-technical answer: when you are fit from weights and cardio, your body burns calories just sitting around and recovering, therefore, the basic rule is the fitter you are the more fat you are gonna lose regardless of how long you run for. Go for fitness and push yourself. However if you want muscle, this process generally is exclusive from cardio in my opinion. Damn, there is no possible way that I can ever eat enough to put on muscle when I am doing fitness stuff. I cant do any more than 6-7 meals a day.

Canadian Viking
03-02-2002, 08:02 AM
Cardio and weights don't belong on the same day, I rotate one day cardio one day weights, the only cardio done on weight day is walking, the only weights done on cardio day is abbs. Ensure you are not overtraining.