PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin K

crazedwombat
03-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I ran a search and found some good stuff on other things but nothing on vitamin k, how badly do we need it and at what levels? Fitday says 70mcg. I know its used for blood clotting but what food is it in, is it absolutely required at that amount, etc... Since my PSMF is going well with mega men and other supps but Fitday says I'm not even close to my amount needed on Vit k. I'm curious on why its so important more than just used for blood clotting and if we have more than the amount needed a day, does our blood thicken inside as well?

Holto
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Google the 38 essential nutrients. I don't believe K is one of them.

crazedwombat
03-20-2007, 12:43 PM
That answers one question

Australian
03-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I couldn't find whether or not the presence of excessive vit.K in the blood is proportional to the effect of haemoglobin (blood clotting mechanism). I don't think there is a link between consumption and reaction in a 'normal' body. Perhaps vit.K can be synthesised by the liver from other cells if not part of the diet? That would be my guess given that it's not listed as essential, other than in Fitday.

crazedwombat
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Ah Thanks for the response Australian, thanks for looking too, I'll continue to investigate it.

Australian
03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Let me know if/when you find a good article :)

crazedwombat
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Here's an update Australian. Apparently Vitamin K is produced in the intestines and is never an issue for people of good health. The only time there becomes a deficiency is when the intestines are severely damaged or on extended periods of antibiotics.

It IS very important or our blood would not clot however, its not something we need in our diet. If people need it, it's found in leafy green vegetables.

If you take warfarin (Blood thinner), vit k will affect how well the drug works.

I didnt find an article of any good after searching pubmed and such but I found several bits of knowledge from various sources

Australian
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Cheers for that mate. Much appreciated from a knowledge sponge like me.