PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water and big gut

bonehead
03-21-2007, 07:27 AM
I heard from a friend that eating too much makes your stomach stretch bigger to accomodate the food, and thats the reason some people have large guts. I was wondering if drinking lots of water can have the same effect. I have a busy lifestyle so I can't keep drinking glasses of water all day long, so I make up for that by drinking a 1.5 litre bottle in one sitting whenever I find the time. (It adds up to about 5 litres of water a day). After that, I feel myself very full and I wanted to know if this can have the same 'stretching the stomach and making the gut bigger' effect.

1) Should I change my habits so I drink a glass at a time throughout the day (will be a pain to implement), or is drinking a 1.5 litre bottle whenever I have the time fine?

2) I generally try not to drink any water until about 1 hour of having a meal since I've heard that drinking right after a meal can make your gut bigger. Is that true or is that a rumor too?

crazedwombat
03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
1. You should be fine, water digests fairly fast so you shouldnt have an issue with it in your stomach long enough to stretch it. Eating lots of food all the time makes you look bloated and stretches your stomach but not visually aside from the bloated look. once you digest it'll go back down, but that doesnt mean your stomach doesnt. repeated gorgings will stretch your stomach which will allow you to eat more food, but unless its clean foods you'll probably get fat off that amount of food, then you'll have more than a bloated look.

2. it will make you look bloated until its digested. You'll be fine with what you're doing. It would probably be a doctors advice to break it up throughout the day. you should just go out and get jugs of water and carry it whereever you go. Most of us here on the board do that. some people might look at you funny but dont think much of it. I carry around a gallon thermos, viking carries a gallon jug of water, etc... then you can gulp it all day.

MagnaSephiroth
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
The bigger the container of water, the nastier the water is near the bottom. Even if it looks fine, it still has a worse taste. 24 oz container at most for me, but this is just my opinion.