PDA

View Full Version : College admissions decision =/

Invain
03-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm wondering if anybody else has had experince with my situation...

I have already been accepted into the University of Michigan, and have chosen to attend, sent in my deposit money, filled out housing info blah blah blah, but I know even though this is the second semster of my Senior year my final grades can still play a role in my admission, and if you dick up bad enough they can reverse it and decline your admission.

I'm taking 3 online Ap classes, but I already have enough credits to graduate so I decided to not take my ap classes for credit and risk ruining my 4.0 gpa. So these classes don't really count for much, they're just something to do I guess since my school won't allow you to not take a class for a certain hour. My grades were fine in all 3 classes the first semester, but I am having some problems with one class this semster and have gotten way behind. Since this class is not for credit and won't effect my gpa, what do you guys think would happen if I simply stopped trying to catch up and only worried about my other classes. Essentually I would get an E for the Ap class. Do you think it could effect my admission? Has anybody been accepted to a college and gotten bad enough grades to have it later revoked? Have any of you screwed up pretty bad and still gotten in?

Yes I've already asked the U of M, but I still haven't gotten a reply back yet. I just wondered what you guys thought.

McIrish
03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Well, they certainly won't nix you for getting a C/D in one class, especially if your general trend is high grades. Any chance you can tough it out, just get a "crappy" grade, and not worry about the dropping it altogether?

Invain
03-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I probably could work through it and get a c maybe, but senioritis has kicked in big time and I really don't want to, hehe.

BilltheButcher
03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
4.0 GPA? I think you are allowed to slip up and do whatever the F you want.

KingJustin
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
In all honesty, I doubt they would have even checked your grades if you didn't contact them first. Even still, they probably won't care.

That said, I do have a friend who got a 1600 (Essentially 2400 for you kids) on the SAT, got into UNC, and then let his already very low GPA drop even more his senior year. They ended up revoking his acceptance.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it if it's not even for credit. But, if you can catch up it would be nice to pass the AP test and not need to take the class again in college. Does Michigan allow all AP's to go towards college credit? I know Duke allows a maximum of 2.

Invain
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I could only get credit for 2 of my 3 classes, and then they only give credit if you score a 5 on the exam, which is the highest grade.

Jordanbcool
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Have fun man. With a 4.0 you deserve it.

sharkall2003
03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I had really bad senioritis and I failed calculus, and dropped my AP English class and still was accepted into my school. I was going to a University, but it wasn't a top notch school, either.

Altephor
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I would stick it out, at least to take the AP exam in hopes you might get credit. They make it sound bad, but a 5 on the AP exam is not so difficult. I got a 5 on both my AP Stat and AP Psych exam, they're pretty easy exams, and those credits help a lot in college, I was able to skip one of my electives, and not only that I'm a bunch of credits ahead so I get better housing selection, parking, etc (it's all based on creds).

Beast
03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
The only way they would reject you after being admitted is if you failed a class or got charged with a felony.

Don't fail and you'll be fine.

Invain
03-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, that's why I'm wondering about my special situation. Technically, it's not even a highschool class, it's just preparation for the Ap exams. If I went to any other school I probably woudln't even be taking all 3, but here I have to take something to fill each hour, whether it's for a credit or not.

Blanche_Soprano
03-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I would still try to do the work for your AP class, but don't stress over it. You already got accepted, so you proved you're worthy of them. As long as you don't screw up all of your classes, you should be fine. One bad grade out of four years? That's not bad at all, you're only human.

Are you taking the AP test for all three? I would say to at least attempt the third. Doesn't matter, if you get a 5 or not, but it shows that you're trying. You never know, you could pull off a high score. I got a C in one of my AP classes and still got a 5 on the test. I think Michigan would be more concerned if you didn't take the test over getting a not great score.

Bupp
03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
When I was a high school senior I got early acceptance from several schools Bsc. Biomedical programs with an average of 85%. I tanked hard and graduated with a 73% average. None of the schools took away their admission offers, though I did lose some scholarship money.

dblockspky
03-22-2007, 06:24 PM
For most schools it wouldn't matter if your general trend of grades was higher. However, for some other top schools like U of M and others, slacking off is enough to get your acceptance revoked. If it wasn't a big deal then they wouldn't put such an emphasis on the fact that you were accepted contingent upon graduation and blah blah blah. And where do you go to high school that you get to take online classes??? I wish I had that. Good luck though, if you get A's in all the other classes as long as you don't fail this one that you're talking about then you're pretty much guaranteed to get in.

Ron Burgundy
03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I probably could work through it and get a c maybe, but senioritis has kicked in big time and I really don't want to, hehe.

Dude 1 C your good if they boot you that BULLS***. I have a 4.5 GPA and I'm on the brink of a C in one class soooo I'm in th\e same seat as you. I'm so lazy and I have high school.