PDA

View Full Version : Natural Sugar vs Weight Gainer Supplements - Your Opinion?

Australian
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Can I make my own 'weight gainer' by mixing fruit juice and a variety of proteins? Weight Gainers contain sugar as a way to build up calories and bulk you out. Why not get these same calories from my fruit juice addiction and some protein powder? What do you think?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Why don't you head on over to the Recipes section for some healthier weight gain shake ideas? Your suggestion is not healthy.

Stackattack
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Fruit juices are often high in fructose which makes it far worse (from a body composition point of view) than the maltodextrin typically found in weight gain powders. Meaning you are likely to gain more fat bulking with 'fruit juice' than you would with weight gain powders.
If you want vitamins from fruit. eat it.

Australian
03-24-2007, 05:05 AM
I can't handle giving up my sweet juice addiction! :help: What can I replace it with? Please help me - it's harder for me than quitting smoking was. I'm craving juice. :cry:

RedSpikeyThing
03-24-2007, 09:11 AM
use oatmeal for carbs, some frozen fruit for flavour and splenda for sweetening.

Australian
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
So is 500 or 100 calories from juice in a shake better or worse than the same amount of calories from ice cream?

Mr. D
03-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Well fruit juice is going to contain a lot of fructose. I thoroughly love eating my fruit so much more than drinking it

Ice cream will likely contain sucrose (half fructose, half glucose) and likely saturated fat (which is needed in a diet). If you can get a good all natural ice cream like breyers, then I can see where it has a place in a weight gainer shake over an all fructose fruit juice.

But like most things, nothing can be evaluated individually or in vacuum, its all about the BIG PICTURE and overall macros. You generally just cant evaluate each piece individually.

I would use oats in the weight gainer shaker myself and a small serving of fruit, like 150g of strawberries or 60g of banana.

Australian
03-28-2007, 10:48 PM
(Not that I eat ice cream, it was just for an example)

Juice is to me, what junk is to a junkie. I get off on it just before a workout. High as a kite!

It's my crux, my lifeline. I don't give a damn if I end up fat and ugly, as long as I get my juice fix!

Alex.V
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Fructose isn't going to do a damn thing to your body composition in the long run, as long as it's not the centerpiece of your diet. Don't worry about it. Eat your fruit.

Questor
03-29-2007, 11:32 AM
eat fruit, drink water.

Alex.V
03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I love the way we all come to completely different conclusions, blatantly contradicting each other in the same thread, yet for the time being we're all ok with it.

Mr. D
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I love the way we all come to completely different conclusions, blatantly contradicting each other in the same thread, yet for the time being we're all ok with it.

I thought we all came to the same basic opinion that fruit juice contains too much fructose and to eat fruit rather than drink it.

Australian
03-29-2007, 05:54 PM
I came to the conclusion long ago that apple and strawberry juice is the best thing in my life other than my girl!

Alex.V
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought we all came to the same basic opinion that fruit juice contains too much fructose and to eat fruit rather than drink it.

1) Fructose is not nearly as bad for you as everyone here seems to be claiming. Even academically, the argument that he'd end up any fatter from eating fructose rather than maltodextrin doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

2) He's addicted to fruit juice not fruit, so how's that helpful? Besides, other than the fiber, very little is lost in the blending.

3) He's still going to drink his fruit juice.

Ergo, ipso facto, QED, we're not all in agreement.

Alex.V
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Saying "ipso facto" out loud is kinda fun.

I mean, not "make your afternoon" kind of fun, but still fun.

Carry on.

Questor
03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
ipso facto

ipso facto

ipso facto

I do like that

I agree with the consensus here *love!*. Strawberry juice is good tasting. Fructose is not evil. Water is good.

*mutters under his breath* still better to eat your fruit tho

Consensusing completed successfully.

Australian
03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
1]3) He's still going to drink his fruit juice.Damn straight!

This is my favourite thread, ever. You guys are being so polite to one-another! :p

Alex.V
03-30-2007, 04:36 PM
You guys are being so polite to one-another! :p

SHUT UP

Alex.V
03-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I mean that as nicely as possible.

Australian
03-30-2007, 04:38 PM
:cool:

the doc
03-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Opinions
1) everyone who has posted here is stupid and wrong
2) I agree with everyone to eat more fruit and protein
3) You should mix your fruit and protein together and whip it to make a "smoothie"
4) I am a genius

Little John
03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
5) No, you're not! :)