PDA

View Full Version : metamucil to satiate hunger?

Behemoth
03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I've wondered this many times... why not just add a supplement like metamucil or benefibre to combat some hunger whilst dieting? Fiber is both calorie free and hunger satiating is it not? Surely there's a problem with this or everyone would regularly do it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Those fiber supps destroy my stomach. Why not just eat more foods that are high in fiber? If it works for you, then I don't see the problem. Why would there be a problem with fiber? You're supposed to get a minimum of 25-30 grams a day. And fiber is not calorie free. It's just that the calories are not digested, so they aren't counted as part of the total.

ArchAngel777
03-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Those fiber supps destroy my stomach. Why not just eat more foods that are high in fiber? If it works for you, then I don't see the problem. Why would there be a problem with fiber? You're supposed to get a minimum of 25-30 grams a day. And fiber is not calorie free. It's just that the calories are not digested, so they aren't counted as part of the total.

If they are not digested, how can the body extract energy from them? I believe they are digested, only partially which is why recent data suggested that a gram of dietary fiber generates 1.5 - 2 calories of energy.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
insoluble fiber...

It helps move bulk through your intestines. Its purpose is not to provide energy. There are two types of fiber.

Behemoth
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I was told early on that none of the calories in fiber were not expended. This is news to me that your body does use some.

I'm not looking for diet suggestions here. I'm fine. I eat plenty of foods high in fiber throughout the day, and as a matter of fact they personally satiate me more than nearly all slow digested proteins and fats.

I know it would send you to the bathroom more often also. I haven't really found the answer I'm looking for, I think I'm not being clear enough on my question. Other than the bathroom issue, I'm led to believe that even at 1.5cal/gm that would be the single most satiating expenditure of calories. Given that information, it would lead one to believe that the more fiber in ones diet the better. Not simply 20 or 30 or even 50 grams. Why not 150 or 200 gms in a day? Would it be too much for the digestive system to handle or what? What's the reason we don't eat this much on diets?

Should I guinea pig here? Surely theres an answer...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
You'd be in the bathroom all day long if you were eating 200 grams of fiber a day. There's no limit on how much fiber you can eat, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that you'd be able to get that much from something like Metamucil. You'd probably go through bottles of Metamucil a day. You'd also have to be drinking a crapload (no pun intended) of water if you were consuming that much fiber. You don't need that much fiber to feel satiated, but it won't kill you or anything. That wasn't part of your original post and your point wasn't even remotely stated either. Fiber's purpose is to keep your digestive system up to snuff and help pass bulk through your system. It keeps your digestive system healthy. If you're talking about replacing food with fiber, that makes no sense. It's not going to harm you though if you're consuming a lot of fiber. But you should allow your digestive system to adjust to that intake slowly. I'm still not sure what you're getting it.

Why not 150 or 200 gms in a day? Would it be too much for the digestive system to handle or what? What's the reason we don't eat this much on diets?Some people on here get over 50 grams a day. But it's very hard to get that much fiber from food and supps. You simply don't need that much fiber. However, a lot of people don't get enough...which isn't good. Fiber is very essential to a healthy diet.

theJamAbides
03-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Just chew on some wood.

the doc
03-22-2007, 11:09 PM
an eca stack would be a helluva lot more effective is controlling hunger than taking 200 g of metamucil. Damn i'd have to strap a port-o-pottie in my truck bed or at least a colostomy bag on my butt with that much fibre