PDA

View Full Version : Fighting

Mission
03-22-2007, 06:52 PM
For the past few months or so I've been really into PRIDE FC and have begun doing some sparring with my friends. It's pretty fun. Would anybody here be willing to answer some of my questions about different fighting strategies? I'm kind of new.

Clifford Gillmore
03-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm sure all of the MMA guys would love to talk shop. I've just started watching the UFC's that came out on dvd (37.5 onwards), and I've got alot of catching up todo :)

left hook
03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm not in MMA but i'm a boxer so as far as the stand up part, yea.

DokterVet
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I suggest finding an instructor.

Detard
03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
^^^ yep, and searching for topics already the same as this.

ValleyFR
03-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not in MMA but i'm a boxer so as far as the stand up part, yea.

might as well switch to MMA....they are slowly but surely stealing all of the worlds fighting lovers. I used to love boxing...then watched some of hoice gracey...and been hooked ever sense. sorry if it offended you but tis da truth.

Jody Poff
03-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I dont know what your questions are, but i will try to answer some for you.

J.G
03-23-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm sure quite a few of us would be able to help out.

left hook
03-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I konw boxing isn't what it was before the 90s. No one knows the sport anymore.

ValleyFR
03-23-2007, 11:58 PM
i love the sport...but when i saw vitalli get beat by a damn underdog and then retire after the fight...that was the first time i saw him fight live....paid for the PPV and watched my fav boxer get knocked the fudge out!

Mission
03-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Alright.. thanks for the replies. :)

I know this is pretty noobish of me to ask, but what do you do against the average street fighter? In the majority of non-professional fights, it seems like the people are just throwing windmills at eachother as fast as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375ilImMiXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foVKTFIsRmg&mode=related&search=

Just throwing blind swings, hoping one will land isn't a strategy I'd like to use. What would you do? What would Cro Cop do?

Unholy
03-24-2007, 11:17 AM
In the very few fights Ive been in over the past 5-6 years Ive always jabbed the person right in the nose. I don't push and yell like some idiots.

left hook
03-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Street fighters aren't ****, they either hug and grab or swing wild. Keep your chin down, jab and use straight punches and just have a basic defense.

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 12:24 PM
i don't liek to fight...but i punched a drunk dude at my college for calling me names and then spitting in my soda and throwing it at me. So i picked up up put him against the wall and told him to stop and he said **** you, i let him down...i saw his arm move like it was about to swing so i jabbed him right in the eye....he fell...i was like..."Oh ****..i just hit him" i spent the rest of the time putting h im in a rear naked choke trying to get him to calm down....

Powdered_Power
03-24-2007, 12:31 PM
i love the sport...but when i saw vitalli get beat by a damn underdog and then retire after the fight...that was the first time i saw him fight live....paid for the PPV and watched my fav boxer get knocked the fudge out!

Boxing consists of more than just the heavyweight division you know.
There are some excellent smaller fighters still out there and as much as Im really recently getting into UFC, I still love boxing with a passion (the fights also tend to last a little longer in general hehe).

Powdered_Power
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
to the OP, heres a tip...try to avoid streetfights at all costs :-). Only when its absolutely necessary should you get physical.

J.G
03-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I know this is pretty noobish of me to ask, but what do you do against the average street fighter? In the majority of non-professional fights, it seems like the people are just throwing windmills at eachother as fast as possible.

When someone bumrushes me in the ring with wild punches, I tend to sidestep away and pick my shots. You can usually spot a bunch of openings with a wild striker, along as they don't catch you. Throw straight punches to neutralize the other guy's hooks..

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Boxing consists of more than just the heavyweight division you know.
There are some excellent smaller fighters still out there and as much as Im really recently getting into UFC, I still love boxing with a passion (the fights also tend to last a little longer in general hehe).

i never really got into the lighter weight boxing because i love the sheer power that a heavyweight boxer can put on someone. Yeah...i have seen some lighter weight boxers do it but its just not the same.

KingJustin
03-24-2007, 02:10 PM
The heavyweights since Tyson have been pretty boring to watch imo. The smaller guys are all fast and explosive and fun to watch.

I do MMA and in all honesty you're going to need to take classes if you want to learn. Just getting tips off the internet is not going to work very well. So much is drilling the same few things a million times until you can do it without any thought.

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 03:49 PM
mma=mixed martial arts, of course you have to take classes that a gimmie. High school wrestling is something you can start with since its free....thats a lot of grapling and grapling counter + take downs....then you want to do taekwon doe or jujitsu even kick boxing. nutrition wise....stay fit and healthy...eat good stuff nothing that will slow you down or give you any kind of energy problems. Run a lot...conditioning is imortant...jump rope and do a lot of plyos...quickness and agi is also very important.

left hook
03-24-2007, 08:45 PM
The sport really did die as fasr as the heavyweights after tyson and lennox retired. Tyson is probably one of my all time favorite fighters for what he accomplished in his prime. He just made the wrong choices in 88 though. I need to follow MMA more. I only really follow the UFC fighters right now. Except for fedor haha.

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
yea, mma fav's are hughes, ortiz, and shamrock...but my fav of all time....gracie....dude was a beast!!!! so was tank abbot though. yeah....lennox was smart though...he retired after getting the belt and defending it. I remember when he first started...he was so sluggish and slow....he got so much better over the years though..it was amazing watching him come up.

Can'tstopnow
03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
My best advice is if your are in a fight/sparring whatever is expect to get hit. On a side note Frank Shamrock (Ken's bro) is a badass too. Randy "The Natural" is legend now and of course Royce Gracie. I can't wait to see Anderson Silva defend his belt. I saw some of his fights in Pride and he got schooled on the ground.

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 10:48 PM
yeah silva is sick as hell, and i forgot all about frank, his ass just disapeared in like 01 and he has had like..1 fight every two years or so but from what i hear he is suppose to be making a come back but to pride not ufc. yeah...i noticed in pride figthing there is a lot more action and grapling...UFC has a lot of big hits but if people lost points for delay some people would not win some of the fights they did...matt hughes fight....on UFC 68 was against some linky dude that laid on his back the whole match adn did not do ****, he got him in a crossed leg walk once or twice but other then that matt smashed his face on the ring. but he still got the 9/10 which i guess is all that matters in matt's case. i like ken but not as much as frank...something about ken is just blain and boring. especially when he fought ortiz..which btw....rocked. but i also saw shamrock in teh first ultimate fighter get his ass ****ing owned by a nobody. whats the news on the next Ultimate fighter anyways? oh....yeah silva came out of retirement and bumped up a class didnt he? that is sick....

Mr. D
03-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Boxing is so much better with the lack of the heavyweights. Watching boxers like Winky Wright, Hopkins, Mayweather, Calzaghe, Mosely, Marquez, Barrerra, Pacquia, Morales is true sweet science.

left hook
03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Yea i'm a huge hopkins and mosley fan. Former roy jones fan, after tarver though...eh.

Mr. D
03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Ilove Hopkins. He got robbed against Taylor the first time. And if Taylor did actually beat Hopkins then Winky Wright beat Taylor.

The only thing that gives me a sour taste about boxing is the judges. Now the old saying of never leave it to the scorecard, but still.

If you guys like haymakers, watch any Ricardo Mayorga fight.

I am getting into MMA more and more though.

left hook
03-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm waiting for mayweather to get beat, he's highly skilled but I can't stand his attitude.

ValleyFR
03-25-2007, 01:04 AM
http://www.vivi.com i believe that is the right adress...but that is an online boxing league..you build your boxer up and put him on there....he fights from time to time and you can spare him against other boxers...pretty much..you make a gym....and then the fighters in the gym and let them fight. You design fight plans and all that good stuff.

Mission
03-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Lots of UFC fans around here.. Fedor would obliterate anyone in the UFC.

Can'tstopnow
03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
I am itchin to see Crocop kick someone in half.

Mission
03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
In response to my original question, about fighting the 'windmill fighter,' I'm thinking I'd go for low kicks. Supposedly a solid kick to the thigh, ribs, or back can really slow down an opponent. Besides low kicks, I like the advice you guys gave about jabs. Gotta figure if a guy is swinging blindly, I'd get in a good jab at his jaw.

Mike G
03-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Lots of UFC fans around here.. Fedor would obliterate anyone in the UFC.

Easier for me to see UFC figths. Spike has stuff on all the time, Pride rarely has anything on. The few Pride fights I have seen were very good and Fedor is incredible. Doesn't really look the part like some of the heavyweights, but he is plain nasty. I don't think anyone in UFC could beat him.:thumbup:

left hook
03-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Also, don't go for the jaw line. Hit the chin. There's actually a nerve around the hcin and goes all the way to the brain stem which physically causes a person to get knocked out or to get punch drunk. Other than that i'd say the nose since your average person breaks down from getting hit there. If you've never been hit there then the cartilage in it is really brittle and weak.

YoungHypnotiq
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
^^^^the cartlidge gets stronger after getting hit?

And whoever said that MMA is going 2 be bigger than boxing. not anytime soon. MMA guys dont make nearly as much. the winner of the oscar de la hoya and mayweather fights gets like 50 mil

Mission
03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
What do you guys think of low and middle kicks to a swinging aggressor?

Also, another Muay Thai technique I've seen is where you run up, grab the agressors head, and then knee him in the core.

YoungHypnotiq
03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I am learning a little kickboxing from a book with my brother and in a street fight mainly low kick. unless you get good enuff to do high and medium kicks dont do them. even when you get really good use them sparingly.

Mission
03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
For what it's worth, here's a great fight where a defensive fighter pretty much owns the aggressive one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbIrfcrDxU

left hook
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Yes your nose does get tougher, not saying you can get it like a brick, but first time I got caught on the nose I bled like hell, now getting a few shots there doesn't disrupt me any.

Mission
05-13-2007, 08:48 PM
So I guess the main message is that straight, timed punches are the way to go against the attacker who comes out swinging wildly...? I really appreciate all the comments.

How do you get out of the situation where the guy is just swinging madly at you? One thing I've always thought I'd do in that situation would be to attempt blocking with my forearms together, putting my head down, and then pushing him and/or sidestepping.

KingJustin
05-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Learn to perry(sp?) and counter, and how to step out of the way.

Also, MMA is already bigger than boxing. Look at the PPV sales. This next month's are going to be huugee (Chuck v Rampage!!)

Gunshow
05-13-2007, 09:22 PM
might as well switch to MMA....they are slowly but surely stealing all of the worlds fighting lovers. I used to love boxing...then watched some of hoice gracey...and been hooked ever sense. sorry if it offended you but tis da truth.

its sad that royce gracie took you away from boxing... hes such a bitch. if you watch some of his old fights when there wasnt as many rules... he would hold guys by their hair so they couldnt move and ppunch them in the face... took him like 25 punches just to knock this guy down...all the guy can do is submit ppl, i think hes a disgrace.

Chubrock
05-14-2007, 06:35 AM
its sad that royce gracie took you away from boxing... hes such a bitch. if you watch some of his old fights when there wasnt as many rules... he would hold guys by their hair so they couldnt move and ppunch them in the face... took him like 25 punches just to knock this guy down...all the guy can do is submit ppl, i think hes a disgrace.

I think you have no idea what you're talking about. This is probably one of the most uninformed opinions I've heard on this message board. Royce Gracie was one of the greatest fighters in MMA History. He wasn't blessed with physical size or strength. All he had was pure smoothness with his grappling. If you'd pay attention you'd notice the fights that he took were always against bigger, stronger opponents. The Gracie Family had a desire to prove that their fighting style was the strongest, and because of this, they took matches in which they were severely "outgunned."

CosmicForce
05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I agree with what has already been said. The heavy weight divison in pro boxing sucks compared to the lighter weight divisions in recent history. Gatti v. Ward I, Jose Luis Castillio v. Diego Corralles, Hopkins v. Trinadad, Hopkins v. De LaHoya, Kostya Tszyu, Manny Pacquiao. Sorry Roy Jones Jr. fans the light heavy weight division is one of the weakest weight divisions in pro boxing and John Ruiz is a chump. lol

mmnotch
05-15-2007, 02:30 PM

gracie only strikes to froce you to slip up so he can work in a submission. there is no intent on knock out. and the only negative thing i know about gracie is he often would continue applying the submission after they taped. althow he has a sever lack of striking he really change the sport in a positive way.

gusthebus
05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
hey, i have bin fighting for about 2 years. If you want to do mixed martial arts...mma then i suggest picking a surrten style to train in. i pursonaly say you start with stand up, mui thai would be better, but kick boxing or boxing is good to. if you have any questions just ask!!!

Wiggy
05-16-2007, 02:23 PM

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Chubrock has tapped out the correct on this one - you don't know what you're talking about. LMAO @ judging the Legend Royce Gracie on his fight with Kimo...

To add to what Chubrock said about the Gracies' matchmaking...

It was actually the Gracies (although I don't remember which ones) who started the UFC and got the event going. Really, the UFC was originally intended as a marketing tool to get the name of GJJ (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu) into the US and make it popular (for lack of a better term).

The whole reason Royce was the one chosen to compete in the UFC was that he really was the lesser of all the Gracie competitors. He was one of the smallest and weakest (I use that term hesitantly - I don't mean he was weak in that he wasn't strong - rather he wasn't as strong/conditioned as many of the other Gracies were - esp. Rickson). His GJJ also wasn't as good as many of his family members'. BUT, it would make a powerful statement when this 6-foot, 175 lb guy came out and beat everybody he came up against - big wrestlers, karatekas (sp), boxers, etc. It would show the true power of GJJ. Which would result in US interest in GJJ. Which leads to clinics, seminars, schools, students, etc.

I'd say their plan worked to perfection.

Wiggy

nddillon
05-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Wiggy, you are alittle mistaken, Royce wasn't chosen because of his skill level, he was chosen because he hadn't competed in any WCI's and wanted to "prove" himself...if you argue with that, you would be arguing with him considering that is word for word what he said in an interview

Anyway he is not a great MMA fighter, there were people in MMA events but there were no true MMA fighters tell the Miletech came around.

"Royce Gracie is not up to the level of Zuffa's UFC, he will not be endorsed and for his medical concerns should not attempt to compete" - Nevada State Sporting Commission. "He should consider uni-dimensional, less faceted franchises such as Pride or even Pancrase."

And as for the Fedor fans...seriously kids, maybe with the ZUFFA takeover you will see him fight actual competitors.

Anyone read that Brock Lesnar fights early June, he fights a 7'2'' 345# guy (not giant silva either) the name was asian

Gunshow
05-16-2007, 02:59 PM
lol i think Brock Lesnar might not do too bad hes an amazing wrestler,and a good athlete. and for everyone sticking up for Royce Gracie, if you can respect a fighter who doesnt fight, then have fun with it. He's a little bitch who latches on to his opponents and submits them, i admit he has some pretty sick submissions but i have no respect for someone who cant fight toe to toe and calls themself a fighter, sorry.

Wiggy
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Wiggy, you are alittle mistaken, Royce wasn't chosen because of his skill level, he was chosen because he hadn't competed in any WCI's and wanted to "prove" himself...if you argue with that, you would be arguing with him considering that is word for word what he said in an interview

Hmmm - I hadn't heard or read that. I'm sure that was a factor, but what I posted was a part of it as well. I'm sure it was some of each, as well as other factors we don't know...

Anyway he is not a great MMA fighter, there were people in MMA events but there were no true MMA fighters tell the Miletech came around.

I'll agree with that. He is a legend for what he did for the sport, but he's never been a "great" MMA fighter. His BJJ is awesome, and most of his fights were at a time he could rely almost exclusively on BJJ. It's just a different game now. And, though Miletich (sp) took it to another level IMO, Don Frye was one of the first ones that did a lot of cross training, being a professional boxer with a good pedigree in wrestling as well...

And as for the Fedor fans...seriously kids, maybe with the ZUFFA takeover you will see him fight actual competitors.

You lost me on that one - who does Zuffa have that could be competition for Fedor that he hasn't already fought? Randy maybe (I wouldn't bet against that guy if he was taking on the Spartan 300 all by himself! ;-), and possibly Gonzaga (I don't really know a lot about him other than his KO of Cro Cop, which I don't put a whole lot of stock in b/c it's happened to Mirko before). He's beat Cro Cop, Nogueria, Randleman, Coleman - pretty much everybody. I don't see anybody from the UFC giving a ton of trouble.

Anyone read that Brock Lesnar fights early June, he fights a 7'2'' 345# guy (not giant silva either) the name was asian

His name is Hong Mon Choi (I think - I probably butchered the name). Speaking of Royce, I believe it's the same show that Royce is fighting Sak again on...

Wiggy

Wiggy
05-16-2007, 03:10 PM
He's a little bitch who latches on to his opponents and submits them, i admit he has some pretty sick submissions but i have no respect for someone who cant fight toe to toe and calls themself a fighter, sorry.

LOL - if he's making you say "I give up!" then, as far as I'm concerned, he just kicked your a$$...

You have the same attitude Pat Smith had back in UFC 1 after tapping out to Ken Shamrock's heel hook, and then trying to claim the fight "wasn't over"...

nddillon
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Don Frye is awesome...ever heard his commentary on Pride or KOTC...good stuff!!!

I'm not taking anything away from Fedor (even though I think he is atad overrated)...I just want to see him prove his dominance against more technical fighters...I like to watch Pride more but UFC has more technical (not more interesting) fighters. Get what I am saying...Matt Hughes is an amazing fighter I just don't like to watch him fight, his fight style is not fun to watch.

Who's putting on the show Lesnar is fighting at? How big is Lesnar anyway? Is that other guy experienced?

Gunshow
05-16-2007, 03:50 PM
LOL - if he's making you say "I give up!" then, as far as I'm concerned, he just kicked your a$$...

You have the same attitude Pat Smith had back in UFC 1 after tapping out to Ken Shamrock's heel hook, and then trying to claim the fight "wasn't over"...

loll no no thats not my attitude at all, i have nothing wrong with a fight that ends in a submission, i just hate guys who cant stand up and bang toe to toe with another guy. I dont think you're a good fighter if your not a good striker, or atleast a decent striker. Gracie is terrible. All he looks for is submissions and i just think thats a really pussy way to fight.

mmnotch
05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
loll no no thats not my attitude at all, i have nothing wrong with a fight that ends in a submission, i just hate guys who cant stand up and bang toe to toe with another guy. I dont think you're a good fighter if your not a good striker, or atleast a decent striker. Gracie is terrible. All he looks for is submissions and i just think thats a really pussy way to fight.

its not like he does not give them the chance to keep it standing up. remember he has to take them down before the submission.

and i love stand up thats probably my favorite to train. but i feel like submitting someone is more of a challenge then KO. but thats my opinion.

method115
05-16-2007, 05:00 PM
lol i think Brock Lesnar might not do too bad hes an amazing wrestler,and a good athlete. and for everyone sticking up for Royce Gracie, if you can respect a fighter who doesnt fight, then have fun with it. He's a little bitch who latches on to his opponents and submits them, i admit he has some pretty sick submissions but i have no respect for someone who cant fight toe to toe and calls themself a fighter, sorry.

I have no respect for fighters who can't do both, fighting isn't just about swinging at each other and seeing who falls first. I think a really good fighter should know how to do everything and adjust accordingly to his opponent. I don't know gracie but if he really can't fight toe to toe then he sucks anyways cause not everyone is stupid enough to get taken to the ground.....chuck liddel ring a bell?

Gunshow
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
+1 i agree 100%^^

Chubrock
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
How many people do you see fighting out of weight classes? Gracie had no problem taking fights against MUCH bigger opponents. If that's not the mark of a fighter, then I don't know what is. None of the Gracies are known for their striking ability, yet they still took fights against any person interested in fighting them. Like another poster stated, nobody just lays on the ground when they fight. If you don't want to be submitted, don't get taken down. I think standing toe to toe and banging is ridiculous. I'm beginning to think that there are quite a few people in here who have no concept of grappling and what it takes to submit someone. I'm guessing that all ya'll that dislike grappling so much because it's not "fighting" don't consider Rickson Gracie to be a fighter either.

gusthebus
05-17-2007, 07:19 PM

oook.... first off if you cant stand toe to toe with some one... why would u?? and why does every one want to bash gracie, he did so much for mma, and jujitsu!! MAybe he wasnt the gratest.. but ya gotta give the man some respect!! and pussy way to fight?? its a style of fighting, in my opinion if you can manipulate some one twice your size, and beat them....why not do it?