PDA

View Full Version : Veggies

TreeTrunks
02-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Ok after the topic of veggies has come up quite frequently recently (this sentence sounds a little weird) I have become quite interested in using veggies over normal carbs (i.e. rice. potatoes, and oats). What are good veggies to eat and how many carbs are in those?

Greens are good right? What about corn? Like corn on the cob? I could eat about 20lbs of corn on the cob.

Any good sites to visit to read up on this subject? Thanks.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 08:57 PM
I've always read that bulky veggies like broccoli and cauliflour etc are good b/c they aid in digestion. I think carrots are good, and have about 4 grams carbs per cup or something like that...not a whole lot

TreeTrunks
02-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Hmmm I may test drive a veggie and meat diet and see how it goes. I'm just worried I won't have enough energy to workout since my main carbs are veggies.

Slim Schaedle
02-20-2002, 09:37 PM
those were my immediate thoughts too. You cutting?

Shocker
02-21-2002, 12:37 AM
can vitamins replace veggies?
why do you want to eat them anyway?
buy a juicer and drink carrots

Tryska
02-21-2002, 03:58 AM
no..vitamins cannot replace veggies.

limit your intake of carrots, beets, potatos, and corn as they are all high in sugars. if you want a list of veggies you might wanna do a search for effective carbohyydrate count of vegetables. I don't really pay much attnetion to how many carbs i take in...i just make sure to get one serving of some sort of grain, starch or sugar a day. (alongside the various fruits and vegetables and dairy i consume)

hemants
02-21-2002, 06:39 AM
I agree, especially corn, very high glycemic.tuttut

Veggies contain fibre and phytochemicals which you can't get from vitamins.

Also, when choosing greens, the darker green the better. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-21-2002, 06:45 AM
TT, if you get hungry when cutting just eat all the asparagus, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms you want. they've got very few active carbs.

as far as usuing veg for carbs, the only one i'd recommend is sweet potato - especially when cutting.

other than that use oats and or brown rice.

when cutting you want sustainance and steady insulin levels.

TreeTrunks
02-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input yall. Quick question, what if I only use veggies as my main source of carbs, would veggies produce enough energy to get through a intense work out?

slim, yeah im cutting. I've dropped 10lbs so far in about a month.

Shocker
02-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by hemants
I agree, especially corn, very high glycemic.tuttut

Veggies contain fibre and phytochemicals which you can't get from vitamins.

Also, when choosing greens, the darker green the better. :)
Just how much do you really need to avoid glycemic foods like this when you are eating constantly?

Jane
02-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Thanks for the input yall. Quick question, what if I only use veggies as my main source of carbs, would veggies produce enough energy to get through a intense work out?

My personal opinion is no, not for some one of your build and workout intensity. What about using veggies most of the day but getting a serving of oatmeal or something at breakfast? Unless, of course, you really want broccoli in the morning...

I use Kashi wholegrain cereals at brekkie :) Look forward to it every day.

TFXP-Zeke01
02-21-2002, 10:31 PM
You can get "phytonutrients" from pills. I used to work at GNC and they have an assortment of drinks/pills, etc... you can take to supplement veggies. I take these are for "veggie intolerant" people like myself. I have never been able to eat the good veggies because of the taste. I eat things by taste and if I don't like the taste then I can't eat it. If I do then it will surely come back up. A weak stomach? maybe!!:cry:

I used to eat salad, but it had to be covered in salad dressing to make it taste good. I have to quit eating salads(cabbage, greens, etc..) because I can't have all that garbage I add with it while I'm on this diet. I wish I could acquire a taste for a lot of veggies but just couldn't do it.

The only veggies I know I can eat plain is: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, cooked tomatoes(NOT RAW..YUCK), corn, green beans, Pinto beans(is that a veggie?), banana peppers(green peppers too), potatoes, sweet potatoes.

I TOTALLY despise radishes, beets, plain green lettuce(cabbage, etc..), asparagas and prolly others that I can't think of right now. I wish I could eat these! Well, I could if I wanted to be BULIMIC!:D I think I'll do what I can and try to get all these in pill form. If not then tough luck for me..huh?!!? :D

Shocker
02-21-2002, 11:36 PM
LMFAO @ TFXP-Zeke01