PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Faster Stronger BFS

Scorpion32
03-23-2007, 08:18 AM
At the high school I work at we are trying to unify our weight programs between all the athletic teams. I was just wondering what people think about the BFS program? We have some coaches who like it some that do not. I would love to hear the pro's and con's of people that have used the program, or know the program.

Sensei
03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
This has been discussed. It's not horrible, but it is really a very general cookie-cutter program. If you are a coach that has little weight training knowledge or have no idea how to set up a program for a large group of kids, then it's probably not the worst thing you could do.

I think unifying the weight programs for all of your athletic programs is a reeeeallly bad idea, but I understand that larger schools often have space, time, and resource limitations that they have to find some way to deal with.

Pros:
*Easy to set up and implement for inexperienced strength coaches
*Easy to follow and clearly mapped sets/reps/exercises
*Simple and effective technique prompts
*Limited number of exercises and necessary equipment

Cons
*(IMHO) Poor flexibility and plyo protocols (they do update things so I could be behind the times on their current programs)
*BFS box squats (everything is just plain wrong and outdated)
*The overemphasis on rep records and breaking records every session and "emptying the tank" mentality is, IMHO, not good when technique needs to be of critical importance for novices
*No real deloading ever if you just follow the set/rep cards

??
*Focus on box squat, hex bar deadlift, and bench press (could be a plus or minus depending on needs)
*Equipment - some of it is great, some of it is awful. Examples: Bumper plates = great, box squat boxes, chains = awful

There's a lot more I could say, but I'm kind of drawing a blank now. I'm sure others will chime in though.

I don't know about costs - the AD usually handles that side of it and I'm not an AD. My guess is that licensing, etc. is not cheap, but the support that the program gives is pretty good - how it compares to other programs that high school athletic departments purchase, I don't know.

aming37
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree with Sensei. There definately are better programs out there. If I'm not mistaken bfs is meant for football players, sprinters & throwers, which makes it less than optimal for everyone else. Also, aside from changing the reps each week (3x3 5x5 10,8,6 and 5,4,3,2,1) there isn't much variation in the program. Lots of the kids at my school do it and after a couple of months they plateau and stop improving. They usually blame it on themselves not working hard enough which is sometimes the case, but most of the time it's the program. I'd say don't unify your programs.

teenathlete3030
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
We use it at our school. I usually just do my own thing, as do most of the really strong/athletic guys that care about improving. For people that truly do want to get better, they will do research and find things that will improve their own training and what specific type of training they need to utilize to make improvements. Individual differences are a big thing.

As for other people they could really care less what they do, so using a program that already has the sets reps for them could be of great benefit. At least they're doing something.

As others have said I don't agree with the "as many reps as possible on last set" idea. What a way to compromise form and fatigue the nervous system.

roadrunner22
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
we do BFS at my school and i did it for two years and never got any noticeable improvements, IMO it is just a bad program in general. I started lifting on my own and just made my own routine(before i found this site) and made more gains in 4 months than i had in 2 years of doing the BFS, i don't know what any advantages of it are.

roadrunner22
04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
and we only lifted 3 days a week for less than one hour, 2 of the days you do 3 exercises and on thursdays you only do 2 on wednesdays we did plyometrics which i do think help and i guess they are part of the program so that is the only thing about it i would say works and on fridays we played dodgeball so i dont know how the program expects you to make serious gains

roadrunner22
04-19-2007, 01:14 PM
does anyone else have an opinion on the BFS program?

CBrons
04-25-2007, 07:19 PM
We did it in high school for football as well. I recently just bought another log book for four bucks for my rugby training this summer. I'm also looking for some opinions, especially on the box squat and if i should substitute it for something else. The BFS stretching plan is pretty good but I think I have a better one that I was able to pickup from the football team down here at school.

If my main goal was to gain upper body strength, which is what it was when I was a high school defensive linemen, then I probably would have opted for something different. Now I'm a second row playing rugby so my focus is mainly one speed, agility and flexibility and I think the BFS plan is more than suitable for my strength gaining goals but I still would like some opinions.

Sensei
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't know if you read my post above, but unless BFS has changed its box squat, flexibility, and plyo protocol over the past three or so years, it is absolute crap.

WestsideWarrior
04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Sensi, they haven't. They do that bs at my school. I say f**k it and do my own routine.

CBrons
04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
i follow my own plyo (air alert, a routine i had made by an expert a few years ago and some "play it by ear" stuff like running hills with a speed chute) and flexibility routine (yoga, pilates, swiss ball and stretches) but i want to substitute the box squat in bfs for something else

Sensei
04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with box squats as an exercise. I love them, in fact. I just hate the way BFS does them - mile high boxes which have a small 'target area', rocking off the box, way too much assistance from spotters. Simply dangerous.

Invain
04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Yep Sensei, our school uses BFS for gym and football. Thank god I'm not in either. I should actually take a picture of the record board sometime, the numbers are pretty funny when they use a hex bar for deadlift (sometimes even this really stupid machine thing) and the 2 foot freaking boxes for squat. 600 pounds squats with 2 inches rom ftw............

Edit:

They also bench with like a 4 inch towel.:whip:

Sensei
04-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't hate BFS - I think there are some really good things about it. Hex bar DL is fine and I like towel bench BUT, the box squats are DANGEROUS.

I've seen kids go down hard because they were using way more weight than they could safely handle and their spotters weren't helping as much as they usually did. The high and narrow boxes (not to mention the rocking!) encourages kids to use ridiculously heavy weights and bad form.

CBrons
04-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I like to substitute the towel bench with the exercise where you lay flat on the floor under a smith machine and simply execute the bench press with the negative movement going only as far as your elbows will allow (bc they hit the floor)

bo-da beast71
05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
go to defrancostrainig.com. its a perfect site. you can get a perfect program for strength ,size, speed, and flexibility. the great thing is that it is sport training specific not powerlifting specific. if u don't like the site than thats okay. but remember that u are a fotball player not a power lifter, there is a difference. i have the bfs at my highschool but it sucks so i use stuff from defrancos. Get the super strength dvd and 40yard dash pamphlet from defrancos it is great. trust me you will be hooked on that website.

-good luck,
bo anderson freshmen (in highschool) o-line and d-line
p.s. get creatine 5000 and ets from at large

Invain
05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
You sound like a commercial....

Scorpion32
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I think unifying the weight programs for all of your athletic programs is a reeeeallly bad idea, but I understand that larger schools often have space, time, and resource limitations that they have to find some way to deal with.

Thanks to all for your thoughts! I do not do BFS however our "strenght coach" for other sports does. I just want to do what is best for all our athletes shared or not.

I agree with you on all programs unifying(it isn't the best), however when I have one of my football players that is also a baseball and basketball(wrestler) player all I see them is in the summer. If they are not lifting in the rest of the year, it takes me a while to reteach proper form and techniques:bang: . There is little strength gained at that time. I am not a fan if BFS either, however if I can get the other coaches to teach proper form and gain some strength then when I do see them I wouldn't have to teach. Also another problem is when lifting philosophy's are different....kids many times will not buy into my lifting program or another coaches program(Coach Blank said to do it this way:bash: ).