PDA

View Full Version : 1st powerlift meet 3 weeks

dtshen
03-23-2007, 09:21 PM
i've been lifting for about 2 years and i'll be competing in a powerlifting meet in 3 weeks. i'm curious what I can do in those 3 weeks to get my numbers up as high as possible. there is no gear allowed aside from straps and belt.

currently i'm sitting at around a 300 bench, 300 squat and 450 dead. There doesnt seem to be much interest in the meet. Likely there will be less than 5 people in my weight class.

what do you suggest on nutrition the day of the meet?

an hour or two before the meet? lots of dextrose?

Unholy
03-23-2007, 09:27 PM
3 weeks isn't much time. I would try to work on any weak points for 2 weeks and give it a good weeks rest before the meet. Are you training within your competition weight? Diet really depends on your weight I would guess. If your 230lb and competing in the 242 class eat like an animal. If your normally around 245-248lbs and drying out a bit to get down into your weight class you have to be more careful. btw I pulled those numbers out of y ass for reference sake.

dtshen
03-23-2007, 10:14 PM
i dont think the weight classes are normal,

i believe the weight class will be 200-230, 230-250 and 250+

dtshen
03-23-2007, 11:41 PM
another thing, i can dumbell flat bench 130s for reps, which means i can probably do 135 at least once.

if i can flat dumbell 135's that means i should be able to barbell flat bench 135*2 = 270/.7 correct?

anyways, i'd be happy with anything over 315.

but since i hardly ever barbell bench, i think i'd struggle with even 300.

what can i do to get my full potential for barbell

PoutineEh
03-24-2007, 09:01 AM
id say just practice using the barbell.

TommyBoy
03-24-2007, 09:09 AM
3 weeks isn't much time. I would try to work on any weak points for 2 weeks and give it a good weeks rest before the meet.
I agree with this. The key thing to remember is, in the 2 weeks before a meet, you can't get any stronger, but you can get weaker. Do some type of maintenance work in order to holld whatever gains you had, and the most important thing: don't do anything that will cause injury.....save that for the day of the meet!

Chris Rodgers
03-24-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with this. The key thing to remember is, in the 2 weeks before a meet, you can't get any stronger, but you can get weaker. Do some type of maintenance work in order to holld whatever gains you had, and the most important thing: don't do anything that will cause injury.....save that for the day of the meet!

Exactly.

Make sure to do BB bench instead of dumbells between now and the meet. Don't max out, but work your technique a lot!