PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting.

WestsideWarrior
03-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Should I start powerlifting? Ever since I started doing flatbar deadlift, I want to do powerlifting.

Stats:
Weight: 160
Bench: 150
Dead: 335
Squat: 205
Clean: 175

Bob
03-24-2007, 11:40 PM
What's flatbar DL'ing?
Do you mean "fatbar"?

PL'ing is up to you.. give Westside a try for a while.. and see if you like the results...

WestsideWarrior
03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
flatbar, straightbar...whatever you prefer to call it.

Isaac Wilkins
03-25-2007, 02:04 AM
At this point in your lifting career just focus on getting stronger in general. You're better off doing basic progressive overload training to develop a foundation of form, size, and strength. A program like Westside will probably require a lot more research and coaching than you'd see in gains. Remember, most of the guys that train in a traditional Westside style spent 10+ years training with other, more basic methods and were already **** strong. Westside can certainly be adapted to a young beginner, but it takes some real tweaking and coaching.

If you want to powerlift, that's absolutely fine. Train heavy, train hard, once in a great while work up to a max (like every 2-3 months) to see where you are, and enter a powerlifting meet once in a while. You'll do just fine training like that this early and your body will thank you.

Detard
03-25-2007, 05:53 AM
straight bar deadlift? how else would you do it? I'd say if you have a coach or someone that can teach you proper powerlifting form and the lifts then why not try it out.

Isaac Wilkins
03-25-2007, 08:29 AM
straight bar deadlift? how else would you do it? I'd say if you have a coach or someone that can teach you proper powerlifting form and the lifts then why not try it out.

Trap bar deadlift. Dumbbell Deadlift. Romanian Deadlift. Dimel Deadlift.

TommyBoy
03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Should I start powerlifting?
Sure. Why not?

Blackhawk08
03-25-2007, 06:30 PM
ya go for it, i just started competing this year and its fun. just be sure to train the big 3, bench, squat, and deadlift.

WestsideWarrior
03-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I've decided to keep on doing what i'm doing for about 7 more months, then start power lifting.

Travisimo
03-29-2007, 04:05 AM
I picked up powerlifting about 4 months ago and just competed in my first meet. Before that I just lifted to get bigger and stronger. Lifting with very specific goals and a competition in mind made a huge difference for me. You're also young enough that you will be welcomed with open arms in to the sport.

teenathlete3030
03-29-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm going to guess you have shorter legs and long arms? Those are good proportions for deadlifting, and would explain to me why your deadlift and power clean are so much higher compared to all your other lifts. I work with a guy who powerlifted his freshman year and almost went to state he said. He had those same proportions and even though he only benched 110, he could deadlift 355 in the 120 class.

Basicly what I'm saying: If you do powerlifting you should be pretty good at it if you keep getting stronger.