PDA

View Full Version : Local Jitsu school

HahnB
03-25-2007, 05:32 PM
I'd like to get some opinions on this guys credentials, and if this style/school is worth paying for private lessons. I'm really interested in learning some type of hand to hand combat, but there aren't many choices around here so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.dudubarrosjj.com/index.html

KingJustin
03-25-2007, 07:48 PM
He's a black belt under a Gracie who is a national champion in Brazil. Definitely go for it.

That in mind, we did have a Gracie that came to train with us. He was ****ing good at Jiu-Jitsu, he moved in such a fluid, peaceful manner and still dominated. BUT, as far as using his style in MMA, he left a lot of chances to get hit and elbowed and such. Be careful to consider that. Starting MMA by training under a Gracie black belt is a great start, though.

HahnB
03-25-2007, 07:56 PM
What is reasonable for a private lesson? I'll find out tomorrow what he charges-and private lessons would suit my schedule a lot better and one on one lessons would be awesome.

KingJustin
03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
If you're going to get private lessons from this guy you'll probably be paying a fair amount. I would really do group lessons if you can at first unless you just have a ton of money to spend.

It's also really going to be beneficial to get someone to work with you as a training partner. This guy can teach you exactly what you need to do, but you've got to practice everything over and over to get good.

I would guess that he'll charge ~$60/h, but that's a really rough estimate.

HahnB
03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Gotcha. So I'm guessing no less than twice a week is optimal?

KingJustin
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah I'd say 2 days/week minimum or it's just not enough practice. I've struggled with making it to classes and there's such a huge difference between once/week, where I just end up getting worse, to 4-5x a week where I get a lot better very quickly.

Leviathan
03-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Private lessons will run you anywhere from $50/hr - $150/hr depending on the demand for and greed of the instructor. Honestly, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is better to learn with a group. Skip the private lessons and join the school - shouldn't be more than ~$120/month.