PDA

View Full Version : sticking to diets....

big calvin
02-21-2002, 08:56 AM
i cant for the life of me stick to a diet!!!! every morning i just wake up like not wanting to do anything, i did go to the gym twice this week and felt good after but my diet (if u can call it that) is not good. i would say about 3/4 of the day im thinking about which diet is best and writing it out. low carbs,high carbs, high fat,ckd,tkd,skd,nhe,zone,body 4 life...man its just gets to be so damn frustrated!!!! and the worst part is i dont stick to any of them!!! thats what has me so pissed!!!! its like i have all this information in my head on hormones,diets ,how everything works what works but i just cant stick to any of it!!! and even if i could i start to think if its the best way to do it? what if i dont lose weight on it and waste my time? what if this isnt the best diet for me? same thing with training but i guess training is much easier then diet cause its like over in 1 hour so i dont think to much about it. cause im diabetic am i only suppose to eat low carbs? but then wont that lower my already low thyroid? then would eating fatty foods affect my liver enzymes? i cant afford to get them higher...would eating low carb worsen my low test scores? how can i get my skin to be smooth cause its dry as hell! u know all this goes through my head EVERY DAMN DAY!!!! i have no idea where to begin. im stumped, all the information i have and i have no idea what to do. its CRAZY!!!!

Reinier
02-21-2002, 09:06 AM
dude.... it dont matter which they are all good.
just stick to one for a while say a month and then if you want try another and see which you like best.

Reinier
02-21-2002, 09:06 AM
welcome back btw

irish mike
02-21-2002, 09:08 AM
one day at a time

Reinier
02-21-2002, 09:08 AM
but arent those things you mentioned about the effect of a certain diet on test, or on skin, or being a diabetic known?

somebody here should know about that, but maybe some of these needs conflict.

Qea
02-21-2002, 09:16 AM
pop a chill pill, biggie

you're on a one-way trip to schizo-city :p

i feel your pain though. It's like everytime you're on an eating plan, you read about something else that comes along and throws everything u know about nutrition out of whack with all its fancy, glorified claims.

Then you start _that_ new eating plan, and then the cycle continues.

Find some nutrition books, read about basic scientific principles. :read:

Tryska
02-21-2002, 09:23 AM
well cal......have you ever thought about discussing this with someone involved in bariatrics? or with a diabetic counselor?

if it were me, in your position, i would go with Protein Power. I mean the Eades were in bariatrics, and basically used this diet on the diabetics and hypos that cape to their practice. I still bascially follow the ideas in that eating style, and it works really well for me, and i've been able to stick with it, and it's been easy to manage.

mr_hand
02-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey Big Cal, your not alone. Im the same way, should I do this diet, should I do that diet. Mean while the weeks are floatin by, and I really havent had a consistent diet. Im always falling off the wagon too. My problem is over analyzing everything instead of just taking the simple approach. Eat clean healthy foods, drink plenty of water and get my exercise.

big calvin
02-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Reinier: whats up player? yeah man alot has to do with diabetes and low test and low thyroid...just tryn to find something that helps it all u know

qea: man thats just how it is!! i read something and think well that makes more sence then what im doin now so...swictharo!

tryska: i do also like PP but like isnt the same as atkins really? i mean if im not wrong i beleave its under 30g active carbs right? or is it 30-60g active carbs? i forget....

man, didnt expect to get answered so quick...lol

MonStar1023
02-21-2002, 09:45 AM
big calvin-
Damn bro I had the EXACT same problem that you do! Haha I felt like I posted this thread myself! I was always going back and forth between what diet I thought would be best... CKD, TKD, Isocaloric, etc. etc. etc.

Then I stumbled upon NHE and stuck to it for around 3 months now or something like that. I know thats nothing major but in 3 months I lost 30 lbs., almost 5 inches off my waist, and gained some strength. I think its just the huge carb-up meals that allow me to stick to such a diet.

:cool::cool:

Good luck!! Maybe even try to just eat clean for a while. No sugars, junkfood, etc.

MonStar1023
02-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Agreed with Qea too.

I am on NHE and having fantastic gains. Then Par Deus, a reputable diet expert, talks about how a CID (Cyclical Isocaloric Diet) is more optimal. But then I realize that you should do (1) what you can stick with and (2) what works for you..

Tryska
02-21-2002, 09:48 AM
mmm......no..not really. well i guess theoretically yeah. But i read it, and i follow the dietary guidelines. I don't follow the actual diet method. turth be told, my diet is tehnically isocaloric.

however. the most important thing i got from that book, were what carbs to eat and which ones not to eat. and to eat protein at every meal, and to not worry about fat.

basically i eat meat, fish, eggs, dairy, fruits and vegetables. and i use olive oil and flax oil. i severely limit grains, and certain fruits and veggies (carrots, bananas) and starches.

i give myself one "bad" carb serving a day, and i try to make sure it's low gi. ie a bowl of oats, or a sweet potato, or some whole wheat bread.

it allows me flexibility, and i feel good on it, and i don't feel deprived at all.

most importantly - it keeps insulin levels in check. I don't have a blood sugar problem, but if you check out some of the thyroid sites, despite what is said about carbs being good for thyroid levels, it seems hypos respond best to a low-carb diet.

Tryska
02-21-2002, 09:52 AM
and one other thing......i know you know all your diet stuff......the best thing you can do is take what you know, and create a diet for yourself, rather than following someone else's prescritpion ot the letter.

you know your body, you know how it's responded to all the things you've tried, you know the hormonal responses.....choose a method to use as a framework, and incorporate what you've learned into it.

that's pretty much how i arrived at my iso-caloric, glucose-restricted diet.

MonStar1023
02-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Protein Power is a good book. I have read it a few times actually. Like what the book has to say especially about the importance of protein.

big calvin
02-21-2002, 10:09 AM
monstar: dawg 30lbs in 3 months and 5 inches off your abs is nothing to be "nothing" about! those are some sweet results man!

tryska: well see i have tried that also but it gets to be so much like one diet like say is like 80g carbs i figure...ill start thinking.." do i really need 80g carbs? i mean its so little if i would just cut it out i would be in ketosis and not really be differnent cause its only 80g carbs...or its the other way around..well my carbs are 220g...well i mean alittle xtra here wont do much...u know. its just hard to figure all this out and not waste time(which im still doing)

Tryska
02-21-2002, 10:23 AM
well your wasting all that time second -guessing yourself. that has nothing to do with diet so much as you and your self-doubts. you need to pick something, make your sure you feel good about it, and stop thinking and start doing. all you are doing is a form of procrastination. so ask yourself if you really wanna lose weight, or if you just wanna "try" to lose weight.

ericg
02-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
well your wasting all that time second -guessing yourself. that has nothing to do with diet so much as you and your self-doubts. you need to pick something, make your sure you feel good about it, and stop thinking and start doing. all you are doing is a form of procrastination. so ask yourself if you really wanna lose weight, or if you just wanna "try" to lose weight.

Awesome advice......this is what I did for a couple of years. Thankfully in that time my diet was fairly clean and I was lifting hard so I gained a fair amount of muscle. Now I AM losing the fat (no longer just thinking about it). I might add I am learning a bit as I go. No books for me. Just clean food, little less cals, lifting hard, and dedication.

Good luck man

Reinier
02-21-2002, 10:50 AM
help. tomorrow i start my cut.
i dont have a good diet yet.

i have a hell fast metabolism.
with the cardio in I could probably lose 1-2 lbs a week on 3500 kcals.

anybody got a good example diet for me?
the ones i come up with always need so much changing the whole start is gone anyway.

TreeTrunks
02-21-2002, 11:59 AM
I have found that it is easiest to stick to a diet when I am not counting calories. I just concentrate on eating 5-6 meals a day 3 hours apart and everything I eat is clean and use my head to judge whether I have had too much or too little.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
the best thing you can do is take what you know, and create a diet for yourself, rather than following someone else's prescritpion to the letter.

you know your body, you know how it's responded to all the things you've tried, you know the hormonal responses.....choose a method to use as a framework, and incorporate what you've learned into it.

I like that.

it applies to everyone too.

Qea
02-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Agree with Tryska too.

Much like exercise, nutrition results vary from individual to individual too. So there's really no 'best way' for everyone.

You gotta find out what works best for you, which could be time-consuming at first if u are using trial by elimination.

But after some time, I'm pretty sure you'll develop an instinctive feeling of what kind of diet will work for _you_

Qea
02-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by MonStar1023

Then I stumbled upon NHE and stuck to it for around 3 months now or something like that. I know thats nothing major but in 3 months I lost 30 lbs., almost 5 inches off my waist, and gained some strength. I think its just the huge carb-up meals that allow me to stick to such a diet.

Good luck!! Maybe even try to just eat clean for a while. No sugars, junkfood, etc.

I think NHE is a great plan for cutting. Worked for me while I was on it for a short period of time. Until I realized it wouldnt help me bulk (see my 'Skinny Bastard' post hahaha)

big calvin
02-21-2002, 02:05 PM
well i just wanted to say thank you to everyone. tryska your words have really got me thinking,its better to do something half-assed and get some ok results then not doing anything but thinking about the best plan. ill be starting my journal again soon so youll see what iam doing on a daily basis. its very simple and although not the best i beleave i can stick to it with ease and get good results. later ill change things when i need to and see how things go.

thank you to everyone again. and watch for me in the journal sections! :)

Reinier
02-21-2002, 02:11 PM
ok good luck

reso
02-21-2002, 02:39 PM
big cal motha fucka,u bets to be ready for the competition ,ALL YOU CAN EAT man,im be back in florida and i expect to challenge you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and than we go to the beach and pick up girls? :)

also hows everything? college? BMCC :/

and about the diet,im with you,every morning after i eat Meal 1 and head to the gym i think about **** i hate eating low carb and crap.........but i always bitch on LEG DAY...........<--LEG DAY sucks BALLS :)

also Big Cal,i think if you had support in family,PARTNER to workout with and stuff........you feel alright........hey i know what you mean i stress also......about diets and always try to find the best way out,you can do it,no matter what.........Hey 6days eat clean 1day a lil cheat day........cant get any worse?

Tryska
02-21-2002, 05:05 PM
ace cal. that's it exactly you spend all that time trying to be perfect, that you wind up not being anything. hee hee. good luck. i'll be checking your journal!

ericg
02-22-2002, 06:42 AM
nice......looking forward to your journal

syntekz
02-22-2002, 07:20 AM
I can't stick to a diet either. If I didn't have to prepare the food and carry it to work everyday; but instead someone else did it for me. I'd be fine.

It seems every night before I know it I'm tired and can't stand preparing food for the next couple of days and I begin to slack off.

My girlfriend also loves to eat out and that kills me. Bah!

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-23-2002, 08:27 PM
i think its all about leptin folks. we all know its easy the first 3-5 days to stick to a diet but after that your leptin levils go nuts and you starving your craving all the good stuff. it seems from the articles on leptin just have a controlled reefeed on carbs.

so do your cutting diet whatever you know that works best for you then refeed for 12 hours or sommfin then go back to diet.

but the thing we dont know is how much is too much carbs. but thats what bodybuildings all about trial and error.:)