PDA

View Full Version : Milk but not Bread?

Slick_85
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been reading through some threads after a search about wheat bread. I eat quite a bit (6-8 slices/day), and was wondering if that was too much. Its probably not whole wheat either, just reg. wheat.

I've noticed people always say to eat less carbs from bread and eat more veggies instead. But when it comes to milk you all are all about it??? I know milk has protein which is always good, but why recommend the carbs in milk, when you don't recommend bread?

Questor
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
The following is just one man's opinion.

I don't freak out over carbs. I eat several sandwhiches a day. I also drink a couple of glasses of milk a day.

My sandwhiches are wheat bread, as whole grain as I can get. My milk is 2%.

What I don't eat are flours, alcohol, sucrose, or excess amounts of fructose (usually just like 5-10g a day).

I'm taking in a heathen 250g of carbs a day, which is a violation of the WBB dogma on carbs while cutting. Nevertheless I've lost 2.5% bf and I'm right on pace with my cutting goals, and I might add, that my lbm numbers have remained unchanged since before my cut.

So whatever. That's my two cents.

Beast
03-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Agreed with Questor. You can successfully cut while consuming adequate carbs. Personal preference. I think stone-ground wheat is the best wheat bread.

The calorie is king.

Slick_85
03-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys, that eases my mind about eating it.

luvs2play
03-26-2007, 12:12 PM
I personally think it has to do with getting the most bang for your buck...to me 200 cals worth of lean meat is much more satisfying than 2 slices of bread...as far as the milk vs bread arguement I think it also has to do with calories...for a glass of milk you get the added benefit of protein with still many fewer carbs (calories) than bread overall.

Just my .02

Slick_85
03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
How can you compare lean meat and bread? One is protein the other is a carb. I'm talking about the difference in wheat bread and other carb sources.

Mr. D
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
i agree its all about getting your macros and meeting your caloric requirements.

If you can eat 250g carbs and still meet your protein and fat minimums and be on a sufficient caloric deficit, then there shouldnt be a problem with.

Just try to stay away from refined carbs like regular wheat bread. Stick with whole grains and make sure they dont add junk like high fructose corn syrup.

greekboy80
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I eat the "Double Fiber Wheat" by Natures Own. Its awesome,

Per slice, 40 cals, 10 carbs, 5 Grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein. 1 gram of EFA fat per slice too! its the bomb!

http://www.naturesownbread.com/NAT_Varieties/Variety.cfm?CategoryID=8&ProductID=16

bigmoney
03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SOY FIBER, WHEAT GLUTEN, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, YEAST, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: CORN BRAN, WHEAT BRAN, SOYBEAN OIL, FISH OIL, SALT, DOUGH CONDITIONERS (SOY FLOUR, ETHOXYLATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM SILICATE, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, DATEM), SOY FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVOR, CALCIUM SULFATE, CULTURED WHEY (MILK), VINEGAR, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, YEAST FOOD (AMMONIUM SULFATE), OAT FLAKE TOPPING

That is why I dont eat bread.....and these ingredients are pretty modest compared to most...

ADT
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I eat two slices of bread every other day. Not white bread mind you, but "Nature's Own Sugar-Free 100% Whole Grain Bread". This is the best bread I have been able to find that does not contain any "junk" in it.

http://www.naturesownbread.com/NAT_Varieties/variety.cfm?categoryid=8&productid=17

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 slice (25g/.9 oz)
Servings Per Container 18
Amount Per Serving - Daily Value
Calories 50
Total Fat 1g 1%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 110mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 11g 4%
Dietary Fiber 2g 7%
Sugars 0g
Maltitol 1g
Protein 3g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%
Iron 2%
Niacin 6%
Phosphorus %
Vitamin B12 %
Vitamin B6 %

Ingredients:
stone ground whole wheat flour, water, maltitol, wheat gluten, yeast. contains 2% or less of each of the following: butter (a trivial source of cholesterol), salt, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate, monoglycerides, calcium peroxide, ethoxylated mono and diglycerides, datem), cultured whey (milk), vinegar, natural flavors, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, yeast food (ammonium sulfate).

Anyway, not too bad as far as bread goes!

Best,
Andrew

greekboy80
03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
That is why I dont eat bread.....and these ingredients are pretty modest compared to most...

What's the problem with it?

Beast
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I eat two slices of bread every other day. Not white bread mind you, but "Nature's Own Sugar-Free 100% Whole Grain Bread". This is the best bread I have been able to find that does not contain any "junk" in it.
Yeah man, great choice. I love their sugar-free hamburger buns, too... they taste even better than the bread loaf.

Questor
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
What's the problem with it?

In the ingredients he listed, one would want to avoid the flour and the high fructose corn syrup.

WELL, you can't eat bread and avoid flour. But you can minimize the amount of highly refined flour that you eat. I avoid pastries, cakes, tortillas, pancakes, etc. In some cases I substitute in whole wheat alternatives. Whole wheat bread is one of them. Hell, from time to time I'll even eat whole wheat pancakes.

Wheat is not a BAD THING.

In general - Carbs are not BAD THINGS. The problems arise when people eat far too many carbs, of the wrong types, at the wrong times.

Now high fructose corn syrup is a bad thing. They pump that stuff into just about everything to make it sweet because it's cheaper than table sugar and it's pretty much all going to be stored as fat.

Now how much high fructose corn syrup is in your daily intake of bread? Probably very very little.

I wouldn't sweat it. I have half a loaf here that lists high fructose corn syrup and I'm going to eat it (over the course of days).

But I'm NOT going to go drink a 44 oz coke to chase my twinkies down as a bed time snack, after a day of playing video games.

ddegroff
03-26-2007, 09:39 PM
I've found that a lot of bread these days has HFCS, even the ones that are 100% whole wheat.

I have found some good bread that doesn't have HFCS, if that's what your eating 4-6 slices of then your fine. As long as it fits into your macros.

You can eat a lot more veggies for the same amout of bread, but that's all personal preference.

Jeffreyk
03-27-2007, 07:03 AM
100% whole wheat....half a loaf eod........eat it!!!

RedSpikeyThing
03-27-2007, 09:00 AM
How can you compare lean meat and bread? One is protein the other is a carb. I'm talking about the difference in wheat bread and other carb sources.

He's talking about satiety. When you're cutting, the calorie is king. If you can only eat 200 calories and you have the choice between meat and bread, then meat is often a good choice because it is more satisfying. Now if you haven't had carbs in 2 weeks, then bread my seem orgasmic.