PDA

View Full Version : Drug Testing in the CPU...

Sidior
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I just found out ephedrine is a banned substance in the federation I plan on competing in. I am currently using it to cut and was wondering how long ephedrine stays in your system after discontinuing use. I know it has about a 4 hour half life so in my mind it would be out of your system within a day or two at the most. If anyone has any experience competing in the CPU or knows more about drug testing in regards to this substance any help would be appreciated.

TommyBoy
03-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Make sure you have nothing in your system come meet day. The CPU is known for being extremely anal. That being said, 1-2 days should be good to clear the system. Maybe a couple extra days for good measure.

Bohizzle
03-26-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd say be extra safe and just cut effie's out a week before, and cut down on caffeine the week of, and then the day before don't take any caffeine.

Andrew

Sidior
03-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Ya I was planning to cut out effies a full 7 days before and keeping caffeine to a minimum. It says caffeine is banned but talking to other CPU members who have competed it has come up it is just a monitored substance, meaning it is legal but they monitor intake. I will be emailing the CPU about the caffeine question and will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help.

ElPietro
03-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Just so you know, it's considered a minor infraction, so not on par with true drug use. I believe if you are caught on gear it's a 1 year suspension, with ephedrine or excess caffeine it's 3 months. But I also do believe that in the past, if you could show that you are an alergy sufferer, they may excuse it.

But unless you are planning to set records, I wouldn't concern yourself with this very much. The CPU doesn't have much money, and drug tests in canada cost a ton to get done, so generally they will not pay for any random drug tests.

The way they work is they will at best have one or two random tests, usually zero, and if a lifter sets a record, they will ask him/her to pay for a test to make their record official.

Last I checked they were trying to get more funding so lifters didn't have to pay, but doubt it's changed.

I'd say a week and you should be safe, that's what I did when I competed.

I was a Marshall for one event, so basically went through the whole testing process from start to finish. No lifter was at any point allowed out of my sight, or ingest anything that I didn't provide to them, from the end of the competition until the test was administered.

Sidior
03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Just so you know, it's considered a minor infraction, so not on par with true drug use. I believe if you are caught on gear it's a 1 year suspension, with ephedrine or excess caffeine it's 3 months. But I also do believe that in the past, if you could show that you are an alergy sufferer, they may excuse it.

But unless you are planning to set records, I wouldn't concern yourself with this very much. The CPU doesn't have much money, and drug tests in canada cost a ton to get done, so generally they will not pay for any random drug tests.

The way they work is they will at best have one or two random tests, usually zero, and if a lifter sets a record, they will ask him/her to pay for a test to make their record official.

Last I checked they were trying to get more funding so lifters didn't have to pay, but doubt it's changed.

I'd say a week and you should be safe, that's what I did when I competed.

I was a Marshall for one event, so basically went through the whole testing process from start to finish. No lifter was at any point allowed out of my sight, or ingest anything that I didn't provide to them, from the end of the competition until the test was administered.

Gear is not a concern, just the ephedrine use and the caffeine. Would you happen to know what is considered excess caffeine?

Detard
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Im a little confused here guys. If I drank a coke before my meet or a redbull or something would I get disqualified?

I also had another question. On the OPA website (www.ontariopowerlifting.org) it says that there is a highschool meet coming up on the 28th. Is that open to ALL provincial highschool students? Do I have to be on a team or something or can I just enter on my own? Thanks d00dz

Bohizzle
03-27-2007, 08:30 AM
u might need a cpu card

vdizenzo
03-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Sounds like some of you are trying to blur a very definitive line. No ephedrine means no ehpedrine, not how much you can get away with.

TommyBoy
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Gear is not a concern, just the ephedrine use and the caffeine. Would you happen to know what is considered excess caffeine?
Dude I competed in the CPU and I took like over a gram of caffeine and I was cool.

Sidior
03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Sounds like some of you are trying to blur a very definitive line. No ephedrine means no ehpedrine, not how much you can get away with.

From what I have read ephedrine is not allowed which is why use would be discontinued before competing. Caffeine though is not banned but monitored and it seems legal within particular doses.

ElPietro
03-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Just stop the ephedrine 4-7 days prior, and don't drink a pot of coffee before the meet and you are fine.

There is a 0.000001% chance you will need to get tested anyway, unless you are projecting to set a record, in which case, there is a 100% requirement to test, for the record to stand.

Sidior
03-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Just stop the ephedrine 4-7 days prior, and don't drink a pot of coffee before the meet and you are fine.

There is a 0.000001% chance you will need to get tested anyway, unless you are projecting to set a record, in which case, there is a 100% requirement to test, for the record to stand.

There is a chance a record will be broken. Thanks for all the help man.

PoutineEh
03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I didn't think caffeine helped all that much. Atleast not enough someone would care. When they say no drugs, they mean it 100%? Or does caffeine give enough of an edge where they might need to test for it?

V!C $!—gH
03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
In a moral view point if your taking or took ephedrine and its banned, do you think you have the right to participate? Is that not some form of cheating?

(p.s - Im not trying to say any snide remarks. In fact I respect people that participate. Im just curious on people views.)

TommyBoy
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
In a moral view point if your taking or took ephedrine and its banned, do you think you have the right to participate? Is that not some form of cheating?
Technically, if it's out of your system before they test...it's not considered cheating. If you took it, tested positive for it, then you cheated.

It's not cheating if you don't get caught.

Isaac Wilkins
03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I didn't think caffeine helped all that much. Atleast not enough someone would care. When they say no drugs, they mean it 100%? Or does caffeine give enough of an edge where they might need to test for it?

In competition any edge is important. Caffiene is a performance enhancing chemical.