PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders killing me after cleans

pepsihatman
03-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I recently added cleans to my routine on leg day. I do full squats, 5 sets, then 4 sets of cleans, then 3 sets of deep walking db lunges. Recently, a few minutes after doing a set of cleans, my shoulders have begun to hurt. The pain is not muscle soreness pain, but stressed/pulled muscle pain. It's located on the anterior part of my deltoid and shoulders. It is quite possible that I am not holding the barbell in the proper position. I've looked at http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html
for the form and I am mimicking it as closely as possible.

Weights on cleans: 105x8, 135x8, 125x6 today.
Any help on form advice, or direction to a better depiction of proper grip would be lovely. Thank you guys.

ps- I use a back belt when doing cleans and let me know if I'm not in the right section. I figured this was an Olympic lift, so it belonged in this sub forum. Thanks.

TommyBoy
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah I had that problem back in the day, so I just stopped doing them. As for form advice, I'm sorry I cant help you there.

Max Thunder
03-27-2007, 04:59 PM
You might be muscle-ing the weight up, which can be hard on the shoulders. Try to use your arms as little as possible. When you give that strong pull (with extension at the hips + shrug + calf raise) to the bar, you have to keep the arms as straigth as possible. You mostly use the arms to pull yourself under the bar, not to pull the bar itself.

While practicing form, keep the weight low, but high enough to feel something. 95 pounds would sound reasonable. Keep the reps low, 5 and under, and focus on quality.

pepsihatman
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
You might be muscle-ing the weight up, which can be hard on the shoulders. Try to use your arms as little as possible. When you give that strong pull (with extension at the hips + shrug + calf raise) to the bar, you have to keep the arms as straigth as possible. You mostly use the arms to pull yourself under the bar, not to pull the bar itself.

While practicing form, keep the weight low, but high enough to feel something. 95 pounds would sound reasonable. Keep the reps low, 5 and under, and focus on quality.

Will do. Thank you.

Sleepy Guy
03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Remember to keep the bar close to the body. By swinging the weight out infront you use allot of shoulder and arms.

magicman531
03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Yea, you might be swinging the bar outwards and then trying to yank it back in towards you. Pay attention to form.

pepsihatman
03-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Remember to keep the bar close to the body. By swinging the weight out infront you use allot of shoulder and arms.

You know, that happened on several occasions. I bet that's what it is. Thanks!

JHarris
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE]Weights on cleans: 105x8, 135x8, 125x6 today.
Any help on form advice, or direction to a better depiction of proper grip would be lovely. Thank you guys.[/QUOTE/

Im glad to hear you are trying to learn this lift. It is very rewarding but can be difficult for a while. Without seeing a video of what you are doing, its a bit hard to guess at exactly what is your problem, but I'll give you a couple of ideas that might be leading to this.

1. You are muscle-ing up the weight like a previous poster said. Dont bend your arms till you get to the triple extension point (hips/ankles/knees fully extended). You can work an exercise called clean pulls to practice this. Basically, do a deadlift -> a power shrug. Like a clean without letting the bar come up.

2. You are not getting your elbows through fast enough. There is an exercise called the clean turnover where you take a light weight (an easy upright row weight) and practice the catch by pulling and quickly shooting your elbows through.

3. You are not racking the weight on your shoulders, but trying to support it with your wrists/elbows/shoulder in mid air. Let it rest on your shoulders. You dont have to keep a full grip on the bar (2-3 fingers can work for the catch).

Finally, let me say that the clean is mainly a hip/leg lift. Constantly think of jumping up with the weight and letting your arms just follow it. Here's a little idea as to how true this is: my last coach competed in the 85kg weight class. His best c&j was about 180kg. His best 1-rep max on bench EVER was 100kg (225lbs). True story.

Jay

pepsihatman
03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
225 on a clean is insane. I struggle with 125. I am pretty sure that I was trying to muscle up the bar. I also have problems with the barbell bruising my clavicles where they meet at the top of the sternum. I'm not quite sure how to hold the bar at the top of this lift. It feels like it is resting on my clavicles/arms and not on my shoulders.

JHarris
03-30-2007, 07:30 AM
225 on a clean is insane. I struggle with 125. I am pretty sure that I was trying to muscle up the bar. I also have problems with the barbell bruising my clavicles where they meet at the top of the sternum. I'm not quite sure how to hold the bar at the top of this lift. It feels like it is resting on my clavicles/arms and not on my shoulders.

Okay. If you are getting bruising up there you have one (or more) of three problems:

1. You might lack anterior deltoid development. This shouldn't mess you up too much if you fix number 2, which is almost definitely the problem. (I know lots of 52kg girl lifters who have no anterior deltoid development and dont get bruised.) The issue here though is that you might not make a great shelf on the catch, though I think this is probably more related to number 3.

2. You might not be timing the catch well. Maybe the bar gets a few inches above your shoulders and you let it crash down when you catch it, as opposed to meeting the bar with your shoulders at the top of the bars trajectory. This is timing and coordination. It will take some time to work on, but my guess is this is the BIG issue.

3. You might not be holding the bar comfortable in a front squat position in general. Try front squatting more and finding where it actually is comfortable, and drill that into your mind.

Jay