PDA

View Full Version : Marathon training

Organichu
03-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Guys- I'm going to run a marathon. This means I'm looking to go to a lighter weight- and I'll probably have to lose some muscle, too, because I want to be a smaller individual when I do this.

It doesn't mean I'm going to stop lifting- or stop eating big. I'm just going to eat at a deficit, hope to cut fat, but be aware of the fact that I'm probably going to cut some muscle, also.

My marathon is in 5 months.

Currently I have a single mile speed of ~6:55 or so, with my 5k sitting around 23:20. My best 10k is about 48:50. I've tried a half marathon and fell apart, not even finishing.

I'm "hoping" for a marathon time of under 3.5 hours.

Current weight: around 210 lbs. Bf around 16%.

EDIT: durrr, doing this with a friend and accidentally listed his times. Mine up now.

Clifford Gillmore
03-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Best of luck! Definately not my scene, but I hope you succeed.

Organichu
03-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks Risk!

I'm not really so sure that it's my scene, either, but I'd really like to give it a try.

Organichu
03-28-2007, 08:59 AM
This morning I ran 5 miles, getting it done in exactly 39 minutes. Not bad, considering I only had a few hours of sleep. :(

I think I need a new pair of shoes. I've never really bought "running" shoes before, so we'll see.

Clifford Gillmore
03-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Thats a pretty solid 8km! I could barely do half that in about half an hour when I was in high school.

Tell me if you see some Nike Frees' while your looking at shoes, I need some for sled dragging, mainly what kind of price you Americans are paying.

Organichu
03-28-2007, 09:23 AM
I've seen the Nike Free for anywhere from $85-$110 USD, Risk.

-Superman-
03-28-2007, 09:30 AM
My coworker made it his goal to run the New York marathon this past year. He ran several miles each day and didn't eat much. He dropped his weight to around 145-150 lbs. He is 6'0" by the way. It takes a lot of discipline. He wound up running it around 3:30. Not bad for less than a year of training. Good luck man. Not something I would do, but everyone has different goals. :D

:thumbup:

Organichu
03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
That's pretty awesome. I don't want to get down to nearly that weight... I'm thinking maybe 175 at the lightest.

Organichu
03-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Most of the workout today was commonplace, but I did dead 465x4.

Ballin'.

Mr. _____
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I hope you don't take this as an insult, but looking at your current PR's and training background I would say 3:30 is too lofty of a goal for you.

Organichu
03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
I hope you don't take this as an insult, but looking at your current PR's and training background I would say 3:30 is too lofty of a goal for you.

Most likely, yes, but I'd rather push myself and fail than put the bar too low. By the time I actually finish the marathon, I'll be ecstatic to have even finished.

I don't take it as an insult at all- I've never run anything even approaching 20 miles, so I have no idea at all how severely my pace will suffer from so drastically increasing the distance.

Clifford Gillmore
03-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Most of the workout today was commonplace, but I did dead 465x4.

Ballin'.

Rocking!

Bupp
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Tell me you are not doing this on a low-carb diet

Organichu
03-29-2007, 12:15 AM
LOL, no way am I doing this on a low carbohydrate diet.

I hope I won't be forever associated with PSMF. :) I did enjoy its benefits, and it is one of my preferred cutting methods. However, I didn't go from 184 to 230 with only a 5% gain in bodyfat from doing a PSMF. :cool:

I'm going to be eating a good deal of various types of foods.

Organichu
03-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Today did 5 miles in 38:39.

Still in the market for shoes.

Organichu
03-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I was at the Queens Center mall today. Didn't grab shoes, but I did get a watch and some Polo Blue.

Ran again tonight... 3 miles in 23:19. Felt a little tight before starting so the first mile was actually around 7:30.

Organichu
03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I found out there's a running store near here... so I'll be hitting that up sometime today.

5 miles in 38:40.

Organichu
03-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Tried some faster running today, managed 2 miles in 14:12.

Organichu
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Did 10 miles today... 1:23:30, roughly.

Organichu
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Also losing weight a bit too quickly... 9 lbs of weight loss, not even a quarter of an inch gone from the waist.

Clifford Gillmore
04-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Eat bro, eat! I'm thinking along 700 carbs a day plus for the new metabolic response to the running :)

Organichu
04-03-2007, 02:16 AM
I've been eating around 3,100 calories per day. I'll have to up it, definitely.

Organichu
04-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Thankfully my weight's leveled off a bit. I upped it to ~3,800 calories, and I've only lost half a pound in the last few days.

I did 5 miles both Tuesday and Thursday, manipulating the treadmill to do them both in exactly 38:30. I did 10 miles yesterday, the final time was 1:23:21.

Organichu
04-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm running with a friend today, so we'll see how that turns out. He's a little bit faster than me, so hopefully he'll push me somewhat.

Organichu
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Barnacles, Patrick!

I'm faster than I thought I was, awesomely enough!

We did 5 miles in about 37:20.

It's amazing how much I could push it beyond what I thought I could. I tried varying speeds at different points... kicked up the speed earlier than I normally do, and I actually still had reserves left.

Short term goal: run 5 miles in under 37 minutes.

Organichu
04-11-2007, 01:39 AM
I failed on a bench that I could have repped a month ago.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Comes with the territory, I guess.

I've covered 21 miles over the 8th, 9th, and 10th.

Organichu
04-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I took a break for a day because my legs were pretty beat up.

I ran 24 miles over the 13th, 14th, and 15th. Speed is decent, improving.

Weight is down to 198... weight loss far more "paced" now, thankfully.

Organichu
04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
It's great to realize you're faster than you thought you were.

The ambiguity of one's "threshold" is pretty expansive... I just ran 3 miles in 22:08.

Strength's definitely suffering. I do feel as though I'm in MUCH better shape now, though. It's a fair trade off. I can still total well over 1,000 lbs, and I gained a good bit of endurance. I'm very happy with my body's response.

Organichu
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I twisted my ankle pretty badly... hopefully I'll be able to resume soon.

Organichu
04-20-2007, 06:22 PM
I haven't been able to run for the past few days. :\

On the bright side, though, I've been doing a lot of chin ups and pull ups at my reduced weight. I can do quite a bit more than before. :P

Clifford Gillmore
04-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Everything sailing smoothly? How are the joints reacting?

mikesbytes
04-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Hi Organichu,

I'm an ex competitive runner and I've just noticed your thread.

Starting with 210lbs and BF of 16% means you started with 33.6lbs. If you cut the fat as low as 6%, you will save a maximum of 21lbs bringing you down to 189lbs. On the weight side of things, as you said, you may to need to loose a little muscle as well.

The Marathon distance is 42.195K and you are targeting 3hours30minutes, giving you a target pace of a fraction under 5 minutes per K, which in your measurements is a fraction under 8 minutes per M.
Your pace posted on the 8th April puts you within this speed target, so you are heading in the right direction to meet your target. You are building up a good base.

To prop-ell forward from this point, I think that if you do some research on running race training, you should be able to work out what you need to do to meet that target in 4 or months time when you run that marathon.

Did you end up getting those shoes? The reason I ask is that 80% of runners have overpronation or something else that needs correction, so the shoe market is full of shoes that cater for the particular challenges the runners have. How do you know what you have or haven't? Take your worn shoes into the runners shop and show them to the expert there, they will see from your wear and the type of shoe, what you have and then can recommend the correct shoes.

Anyway, at the end of the day, enjoy that race, its a major achievement to run that far and if you make the 3h30m that a bonus!

Organichu
04-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Risk- I've been tentatively jogging, but haven't gone nuts yet. I'd really hate to exacerbate it. I'm going to try 5km today. Overall feeling good... my legs feel sort of jellyish now that I've stopped a few days... but it's nothing bad. It feels like a really healthy, well earned fatigue- and it's lessening now, which is why I'm attempting to resume today.

That was convoluted lol.

Mike: I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately the first bit of weight I lost seemed to be a good bit of muscle... plus I was bloated to begin with, so the measure wasn't entirely accurate. I feel my composition is starting to alter more favorably, now.

About paces and programs: there is definitely a ton of confusion. I've looked at countless calculators, but none I've seen could really "accurately" predict how my pace would slow/quicken as mileage increased/decreased. I think now that I'm running closer to maximal effort on a consistent basis, I'll be able to better approximate what distances I need to run at what speeds to meet my target.

I ended up going to the running store nearby, yes. I showed him the "general" cross training shoes that I had been wearing, and he seemed to spot a 'problem' immediately because he showed me to a certain few pairs right away. They were pretty reasonably priced, too, which was cool. I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, but I only got to run with them once before I hurt my ankle (not done while running). I'm thinking the difference (if any) will become apparent as I run in these regularly and increase mileage.

Thanks again for the words of assistance.

mikesbytes
04-23-2007, 07:42 AM
The Ankle is a real spanner in the works.

You need to increase your distance, once the ankle has been given the all clear. I'd suggest to alternate a long slow run with a short fast one on different runs, as you need to condition the body for distance as well as speed.

Since you haven't found any suitable training programs on the web, why don't you pick up a few books on the topic, I'm sure that methods have improved a lot since my competitive days.

Organichu
04-23-2007, 07:55 AM
That's probably not a bad idea.

I'll definitely look into it.

Organichu
04-24-2007, 05:01 AM
I ended up going for 5 miles yesterday... I'm not sure of the time because I did it outside and didn't attempt to clock it.

I was just trying to feel out my ankle. It appears to be fine, so I'm going to take off today to be extra sure, and then resume at full intensity tomorrow.

TwiloMike
04-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Best of luck, mang! Marathons are a big deal. :)

Tell me if you see some Nike Frees' while your looking at shoes, I need some for sled dragging, mainly what kind of price you Americans are paying.

I've seen those Nikes on sale for $60.

Organichu
04-25-2007, 06:07 AM
I woke up very early and ran my longest run to date. I was going to try 10 miles, but I ran rather slowly for the first few miles... so I decided to ramp it up. When I got to mile 8, I knew I was going for more than 10.

I ended up going for 13 miles...

1:50:10.

Multiply this by 2 and we get 3:40:20.

So!

I just need to build the endurance to double that distance... and increase overall time by 10 minutes, or 5 minutes per 13 miles.

...this could be challenging.

On the bright side- I know I had a few more miles in me, but I didn't want to risk it with the ankle still potentially being a problem.

Organichu
04-25-2007, 06:10 AM
So I ran 13 miles in 1:50:10, but on April 3rd I ran 10 miles in 1:23:30.

That's 26 minutes and 40 seconds for a 5km.

So I guess I need to get better with pacing, rather than just setting my speed arbitrarily.

Organichu
04-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I see the Fratellis tonight, so I have to run early... I think I'll do a shorter distance today.

Organichu
05-01-2007, 02:55 AM
I did get in a run before the Fratellis, but I didn't write it down, so I forget it now.

I took off the 27th.

I ran 5 miles on both the 28th and 29th... each in around 39 minutes. Took off yesterday.

I plan on going for a very long run right now. Maybe 15 miles, if I have it in me.

Organichu
05-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Oh, and I hit a 505 dead. A tiny tiny bit wider than conventional.

mikesbytes
05-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Why did you manage to do a PB in DL? is it because your legs a getting stonger from the running?

Do the long run, your due for one.

Next time you are going to do a 5m/8k run, go out way too fast and see how far you can substain the pace until you blow, then jog lightly for a minute and put the pace back on and hold it all the way home.

Organichu
05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Why did you manage to do a PB in DL? is it because your legs a getting stonger from the running?

I used to run before I got chubby (though not ever for this distance... only 5k), but it never made me stronger at the time.

So I'm not sure how my back strengthened. Perhaps it was just altering my DL stance. I went for it on an off running day, and I just had it in me.

Do the long run, your due for one.

Next time you are going to do a 5m/8k run, go out way too fast and see how far you can substain the pace until you blow, then jog lightly for a minute and put the pace back on and hold it all the way home.

That sounds good... I definitely feel as though I don't always push myself hard enough. Rather than trying to expertly manipulate my pace, I will try to just go all out.

Organichu
05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I ran 13 miles... 1:50:02.

Definitely felt easier than last time.

Organichu
05-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Well, I took your advice! :)

I ran 5 miles this morning, and...

I did the first tenth of a mile at an 8:00 pace... slowly ramped it up until I was at a 6:25 pace around mile 2. Finally near 4.25 I felt as though I was nearing death, so I slowed it way down to about 7:45. I did push it all the way up to a 4:48 pace for the last tenth of a mile lol.

I finished with a time of 33:15.

So... wow.

That was really incredible.

I highly doubt, though, that I could maintain that sort of shifting for a significant period of time. It's really great to know, though, that I can sit at 6:15 for longer than I thought. I usually don't stay too long below 6:30 because I expect to burn out. This is the first time that I actually pushed it fully to the point of inability to continue.

Organichu
05-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Also, that makes roughly 46 miles in 8 days. I took off a few days, so I think that's definitely pretty decent.

Today's my last final, so I'm going to count tomorrow as the beginning of the official "week"... hope to do a decent distance tomorrow. Aiming for my first ever 50 mile week.

mikesbytes
05-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Excellent stuff. If I've read your log correctly, you have cut a wopping 5minutes off your 5m/8k run in a matter of a few weeks. More importantly you have learnt a bit more about what your body is capable of.

Next run is the long slow one?

Organichu
05-02-2007, 05:08 AM
Excellent stuff. If I've read your log correctly, you have cut a wopping 5minutes off your 5m/8k run in a matter of a few weeks. More importantly you have learnt a bit more about what your body is capable of.

I think it's that the times from before weren't really accurate because I wasn't running at maximal effort. I think the most recent 5m was the first to truly tax me in a way that I could describe it as the very fastest that I could cover that distance.

Next run is the long slow one?

Assuming I don't feel weird or anything... yup. :)

Organichu
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
So I did my long run on Thursday, the 3rd.

I ran outside and forgot to bring a timing device, so I had to guesstimate it by asking someone the time right before I started, and asking another random stranger just as it ended lol. So the time probably isn't fully accurate.

I ran 15 miles and ended up with a total around 2:04:00.

I'm definitely happy with that, despite the fact that some elite runners go for a full marathon around that time lol.

Friday I took off, and Saturday I ran 5 miles in 33:28.

Sunday I ran 10 miles in 1:24:20.

This morning I ran 13 miles in 1:50:48.

I'm definitely feeling really good.

I might try to ramp up my "short" run to 7 miles, rather than 5, in order to really pile on mileage.

I'm at 43 miles for 5 days, so I should easily be able to hit 50 miles this week. Awesome!

Canadian Crippler
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
14%!

Good job man.

Organichu
05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks. :)

I guess it was unrealistic to expect to maintain all of my strength. I had a lackluster weights session, but I still feel good.

Weight is around 186.

mikesbytes
05-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Well done. Keep the 7 miles under 47 minutes.

Organichu
05-08-2007, 04:28 AM
I shall do my very best. :) I stayed up WAY too late, so the run will be after dinner tonight. We'll see how I handle that, I guess.

Clifford Gillmore
05-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Take a camera for the pukies!

Organichu
05-09-2007, 02:37 AM
As expected, I ran for 7 miles last night after dinner. I only had a light meal, but I still felt a little odd.

The final time for the run was at 47:11. I'm sorry, Mike. :P I tried, but I really wanted to avoid getting sick.

Good news, though.

This puts me at 50 miles for the week!

I need to decide whether I'll run today. If I don't, it's a well deserved rest after my first 50 mile week. If I do, though, I'm a glutton for punishment and it will be a minimum of 10 miles, because hey- limits are for wusses. :)

In either case, though, I need to move today so I probably won't be able to update until later. So- hope for me, heh. :nod:

mikesbytes
05-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Pretty dam close. Well done.

How close do you think you are to your target time for the full distance?

Organichu
05-09-2007, 09:58 AM
:)

10 miles in 1:22:48. So, my first week of maximal effort has concluded, allowing me to finish with 60 miles!

About the pace:

I'm not really sure, to be honest.

I did 15 in 2:04:00... and I'm fairly confident I could do 20 in around 2:45:00. So that would leave me with 6 miles in 45 minutes- and you know, I can definitely do that.

So, I could be entirely wrong, and my pace might suffer far more than I expect.

But I think I could probably run a marathon tomorrow (assuming I had a few days of rest) in under 3:45:00.

I will need to run a solid 20 miles before I feel too confident saying that, though.

Organichu
05-10-2007, 07:36 PM
For a few days I'm staying with my aunt who lives in a more rural area of PA.

I ran 7 miles here, and it's so much more hilly than I'm accustomed to.

I still finished in under 49 minutes, but wow did that come as a shock. My muscles are really hurting... even my lats. I guess it's from swinging my arms differently than usual.

Organichu
05-11-2007, 03:16 PM
I ran another 7 miles, and this time I finished in 48:26.

mikesbytes
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
The hill running is really good training. You are going to benefit greatly from visiting Aunty.

Organichu
05-14-2007, 05:56 AM
The twelfth I ran another 7 miles, this time in 48:19.

I took off the thirteenth.

I plan on hitting up another 15 mile run today... hopefully in under 2:05:00 once more.

Organichu
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Yup, 2:04:41. :)

mikesbytes
05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
29 seconds to spare.

Have you though about doing a 1/2 Marathon as part of you prep work ?

Organichu
05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately there are none near me that fit within my time frame. If I find any small ones that don't show up on the "big" sites, though, I'll definitely consider it.

I faced a big challenge today... I could have pussed out and ran short or even taken off after my big effort yesterday. I decided instead to run ANOTHER 15 miles. :)

2:04:36.

That makes 30 miles in 4 hours, 9 minutes, and 27 seconds. In 2 days.

I can definitely live with that. :)

This puts me at 51 miles for the week. Since I set a goal of 60 mile weeks, and I feel like sticking to the distances I've been running, it looks like this will be my biggest week ever- no way am I settling for 56 or 58 miles. Now it's just a matter of how far over 60 I'll go.

I'm excited. :)

Organichu
05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
10 miles in 1:21:59.

61 miles this week.

122 miles in 14 days, for an average of just under 9 mi/day.

Organichu
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM
275 miles. That's how much ground I've covered since I started this, 50 days ago.

That's pretty awesome. I've averaged about 5.5 miles a day for 50 days.

redFury
05-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Great progress on your running man... loads of respect for spending so much time running!

Organichu
05-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks a bunch. :) Welcome to the journal.

---

I got to mess around on some gymnastics rings today. I was really stoked to give them a go.

Well, let me say. I'm now a pretty athletic runner, I bench 300 lbs, I deadlift 500 lbs... but holy ******.

That was so humbling. It feels like my last three+ years under the iron did NOTHING. I feel like I've never lifted before.

What a workout. I'll be sure to use them more.

Organichu
05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh, also.

Today marks 15 years playing piano. I still have the receipt of purchase from my first ever keyboard, so many moons ago lol.

Clifford Gillmore
05-16-2007, 09:00 PM
15 years? Damn brother. Big brother number 6 marks my 6th year playing guitar lol.

Organichu
05-17-2007, 12:02 AM
It's definitely an exciting journey.

Organichu
05-17-2007, 08:14 PM
First time since I started this journal that I've punked out on a run. I felt like **** today... I might have the makings of a cold or something.

I did get my first sexual interaction since school ended, though. :)

redFury
05-18-2007, 11:09 AM
haha... nothing wrong with punking out every now and again. Gotta let your body rest sometime

mikesbytes
05-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Nothing wrong with an alternative cardio exercise, especially that one.

Whats you weight and bf % ? Has it changed?

Organichu
05-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Mike: weight is a lot more constant, but I'm eating A LOT.

I'm around 187-188 lbs. My BF% is very close to the same, so my body seems comfortable where it is.

Surprisingly even at 188 lbs I'm not feeling very much joint pain or stress impact or anything. Pretty much no shin splints.

If I can stay at this weight, I'll happily do so.

Organichu
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
There was a Phillies game today, so that kind of messed up my hope to run in the street.

:(

Anyway, ended up going for 10, don't remember the time... more of the same.

Organichu
05-21-2007, 05:02 AM
I woke up at 4 AM feeling great after deciding to sleep early. I knew it would be a long day and I set my phone's stopwatch before heading out. I was looking for a #. I got it.

20 MILES, or 32 KILOMETERS LATER

It was under 3 hours!

Awesome.

The stopwatch showed 2:49:18. However, I took my time grabbing some water and peeling off my soaked clothes (it started raining partway through), so I estimate it's actually around 2:45:00.

So.

This is pretty freaking awesome, I must say.

This gives me 45 minutes to run 5 miles. I think I'm going to well overshoot my goal, considering I have another few months of training ahead of me. It might not be unreasonable for me to shoot for 3:20:00.

Organichu
05-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Also, weight is at 186.

mikesbytes
05-21-2007, 05:55 AM
Thats excellent news. As long as you don't hit the wall, your goal is in your reach.

Organichu
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I am completely trashed from that run. I can already tell today that it's unlikely I'll be running tomorrow heh.

redFury
05-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Awesome running man! 3:20 is definitely possible and would be killer!

Organichu
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Awesome running man! 3:20 is definitely possible and would be killer!

Thanks man. :)

I really threw everything into it today.

dblockspky
05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Good Luck with everything man. I consider myself pretty athletic and I'm dying if I have to run even more than 20 minutes.

Organichu
05-22-2007, 03:20 AM
hah, it just takes some persistence. :)

Thanks for dropping in.

---

I just woke up. I'm sitting here feeling ok. I'm going to grab some breakfast and dependent upon how I feel, I may run.

Organichu
05-22-2007, 07:08 AM
I can't stand not following up strong.

I did 12 miles this morning. I'm not worrying so much about time anymore, since I realized that my final time isn't that important to me. I'm doing this more for fitness than anything.

Organichu
05-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I honestly have so little energy for lifting now. :(

Organichu
05-23-2007, 03:56 AM
I just went for 7 miles.

I forget what weight lifting is.

mikesbytes
05-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Come on mate, be a cross trainer like me. OK after the Marathon :D

Organichu
05-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Hah, that is likely, TBH.

I love my current status of fitness. I'd never trade it, even if it meant lifting a few hundred more lbs in some arbitrary 'total'. However, I definitely enjoy lifting weights.

I may look into some type of gymnastics-esque training once I'm finished this. Not necessarily competing in gymnastics (probably impossible for someone starting at my age) but implementing some gymnast training in my overall fitness program.

My ultimate goal is athleticism. I'd like to be able to climb trees, scale fences, slam dunk a basketball, etc.

I want to be strong and fast. So I guess cross training is something of a necessity. :)

Organichu
05-24-2007, 02:52 AM
I went for 49 miles this week.

I'm going to try another 20 miles today.

New idea:

20, off, 5 for speed, 15, off, 20, off.

Clifford Gillmore
05-24-2007, 06:40 AM
My ultimate goal is athleticism. I'd like to be able to climb trees, scale fences, slam dunk a basketball, etc.

Ahh, things I've never had to train for :)

Maybe you should look at hooking up with some free runners?

Organichu
05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, free running is something I'm definitely interested in.

Went for 20 today.

Organichu
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Instead of being off I did 5 miles nice and slow... somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes.

Organichu
05-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Today I did 5 miles quickly as planned, around 35.5 minutes.

Organichu
05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I felt really drained this afternoon so I had an ENORMOUS meal. I'm going to clock in around 6,000 calories today.

I'm around 184 lbs, though my bf is still ~14-15%. :\

Need to stop losing lbm.

mikesbytes
05-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Why do you think you arn't loosing the bf and are loosing the lbm ?

Organichu
05-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Why do you think you arn't loosing the bf and are loosing the lbm ?

I'm not sure. :(

I was joking about the weights thing... I have been lifting regularly. I haven't had below 3,500 calories in months.

I guess I should try lifting heavier- because what I'm doing doesn't seem to be working.

I'm hoping my initial bf reading (16) was too low, and so I haven't lost as much muscle as it seems.

But my lifts are significantly weaker all of the sudden, and the weight's dropping along with the wrong measurements.

mikesbytes
05-27-2007, 05:05 PM
What does the mirror tell you?

Organichu
05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Eh, the change isn't drastic. Abs aren't visible, but no rolls of fat. An occasional bicep vain- no more or less often than a month or two back.

I guess that I just answered my own concerns. The changes aren't worrisome enough to make me change anything.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention: I changed up the routine. Instead of going today and taking a break, I decided to string my two long runs together tomorrow and Tuesday.

Organichu
05-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I did 15 this morning.

Funny observation. I like running really early in the morning, because long runs at any other time of the day feel strange to me.

So when I'm doing these 10-20 mile runs at 4-5 AM, I expect to see few people, and the few that I do see I expect to be commuting to work or grabbing their morning papers etc.

But each time I run I see at least one drop dead gorgeous girl, dressed immaculately with shimmering hair and sultry lips.

How the **** and why the **** do some people look so beautiful that early in the morning?

I'm pretty sure I look like crap, even before my run lol.

Clifford Gillmore
05-28-2007, 07:32 AM
LMAO! Yeah, purty girls are out everywhere at all times of the day. They do turn up in the strangest of places too!

sharkall2003
05-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Pretty girls for the win ORGAN! Wooooo. Now tell them you're a marathon runner and they'll be all over you.

Organichu
05-28-2007, 07:52 AM
My suspicion is that I smell like ass around mile 13.

I should give it a try anyway. :)

TwiloMike
05-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I did 15 this morning.

Funny observation. I like running really early in the morning, because long runs at any other time of the day feel strange to me.

So when I'm doing these 10-20 mile runs at 4-5 AM, I expect to see few people, and the few that I do see I expect to be commuting to work or grabbing their morning papers etc.

But each time I run I see at least one drop dead gorgeous girl, dressed immaculately with shimmering hair and sultry lips.

How the **** and why the **** do some people look so beautiful that early in the morning?

I'm pretty sure I look like crap, even before my run lol.

Do these immaculately dressed girls look like they just woke up or like they they hadn't gone to bed yet? Sounds like party girls to me.

Organichu
05-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that is a possibility. Hadn't considered that one.

Come to think of it, I do often see 'em near those clubs on Delaware Avenue.

Twilo, you may have just solved my biggest curiosity in life lol.

TwiloMike
05-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Twilo, you may have just solved my biggest curiosity in life lol.

LOL what curiosity would that be? :confused:

Organichu
05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
LOL what curiosity would that be? :confused:

Why these bitches look so fabulous. ;)

TwiloMike
05-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Why these bitches look so fabulous. ;)

ROFL! At least you see hot girls. You could also be running into groups of cracked out drag queens. (a fairly frequent scene in teh middle of the afternoon on the corner of 10th ave and 27th steet after a good Twilo night)

Organichu
05-28-2007, 03:44 PM
lol... when I was there it was more tame.

Then again, I was there during business hours haha.

Organichu
05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I did 20 today.

Wow, the mileage is climbing.

Chubrock
05-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Damn man, you do some crazy runs. Nice job.

Organichu
05-29-2007, 12:40 PM

It's becoming easier and easier but it's still a battle every time to move 180+ lbs at high speeds for dozens of kilometers.

redFury
05-29-2007, 02:44 PM
nice running man... when's your race again?

Organichu
05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Late August.

Organichu
05-30-2007, 07:00 AM
I should probably rest, but the only reason I really rest is to avoid injury... and I feel fine?

I ran another 10 today because I honestly felt like I had it in me.

Perhaps my body adapts really quickly, but I definitely feel like it's capable of more than it's doing. I'm tired, sure, at the end of each run. But I never feel like I can't run the next day.

Organichu
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
I ran 75 miles this week.

redFury
05-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Late August.

Are you serious? Most people peak out at 20 mile runs on their training plans 2-3 weeks before the race. You are in fantastic shape and will only get faster in the next few months

Organichu
05-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Are you serious? Most people peak out at 20 mile runs on their training plans 2-3 weeks before the race. You are in fantastic shape and will only get faster in the next few months

Wow, really?

I didn't realize that I was so ahead of pace.

Maybe I should just run a practice marathon with a few days rest.

Hmmm.

mikesbytes
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I would say that the only risk you have now is "hitting the wall" or "bonking" not sure what term is used in the US.

Organichu
05-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I'm familiar with the concept of hitting the wall.

Even though this week didn't 'break' me, I might stay at comparable mileage for the next week or two. I'd hate to get injured or burn out or anything.

Organichu
05-31-2007, 08:22 AM
I did 5 miles today in around 35 and a half minutes.

Plan: 15 miles tomorrow, 20 miles on Saturday, off on Sunday, 15 miles on Monday, off Tuesday, 22 miles Wednesday.

Total Mileage: 77.

I'll go up incrementally like this, a mile or two per week, until I hit 80 miles a week. Then I'll do a week of very light recovery then do a practice marathon on an easy, flattish course.

Coke
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Wow, really?...I didn't realize that I was so ahead of pace.

Leading the pack with all this going on, glad to see you into it in this way...great plan for the next week.

redFury
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow, really?

I didn't realize that I was so ahead of pace.

Maybe I should just run a practice marathon with a few days rest.

Hmmm.

All the training programs I've ever seen are like that. I bet with running mile repeats and other types of "speed" work you might have a shot to bring your goal time even lower.

Organichu
05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Cool, sounds good.

I just checked out the results from last year... I think I'll take first in my age division since I'm not yet twenty.

Chubrock
05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Your running is just crazy man. I still can't contemplate spending that much time on the open road. I get too bored with it.

Organichu
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Your running is just crazy man. I still can't contemplate spending that much time on the open road. I get too bored with it.

lol yeah, I see where that's coming from. Sometimes people have a hard time imagining just how long I'm there, pushing and pushing and stepping and stepping for hours.

Think of an hour long workout, the minute or two between sets, the few seconds to take a deep breath under the bar, or the moment you take to make sure you're aligned properly with fingers on rings. Erase all of those small breaks and adjustments- I'm moving that entire time. And multiply it by 3.5.

It's a pretty crazy journey, from the first mile or two, getting in my groove, to the next 5 or so miles of cruising, to the first sign of exhaustion around mile 7 or 8, followed by reminding myself how much I want it, to pushing through it at mile 10, the burning for the next 8 or 9 miles, and finishing with horrific, burning agony as I start to cool down, surprised I was able to make it that far.

Sometimes I think I'll go insane in the middle of a 20 miler haha.

Coke
06-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Props, got to have that no quitters mindset to be doing marathons.

mister manager
06-01-2007, 06:01 AM
when do you do your leg workouts correlation with your runs? and how heavy are they?

Organichu
06-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks Coke. :)

Organichu
06-01-2007, 07:52 AM
when do you do your leg workouts correlation with your runs? and how heavy are they?

Pretty much whenever I feel like- and not too heavy.

I've never run this much before, so my old running (3-5 miles here or there) never interfered with my legs.

So I'm still not sure how my body responds to squatting and lunging and all with heavy weights.

Sometime last week I squatted 265x7 on one of my off days... but I don't think I've gone above 300lbs since I started running. I definitely don't feel as 'capable' on leg movements.

I do still deadlift pretty heavily on my off days... running doesn't seem to affect that too much.

Oh, also I'm taking ETS. Maybe that will explain it.

Organichu
06-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Oh, and as expected:

I did 15 this morning. I actually slipped once, because I didn't notice a plastic bag on the road... made sure my ankles were alright and kept going. It would have sucked if I'd been seriously hurt because I was about 7 miles from home and I don't carry any money for cabs/buses when I run.

mikesbytes
06-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the running interfering with the leg work at the gym, I have the exact same problem with my cycling. In my case I have split the week approx in 2 with 1/2 the week focused on cycling and the other half focused on weights, but they do overlap. There's no right or wrong answer to this problem, its a matter of what works for you.

Organichu
06-02-2007, 08:10 AM
20 this morning.

Wow, that was exhausting. I felt really done after this- finally my feet are catching up with me, definitely hurting.

Glad I'm off tomorrow.

I get to see Brock Lesnar fight MMA tonight! Awesome.

Organichu
06-02-2007, 09:53 AM
While mildly intoxicated I discovered that I'm amazing at Soul Calibur 3.

Organichu
06-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Days off are amazing.

Chubrock
06-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Haha enjoy the day off. Time to hit the gym (or road for you) tomorrow.

Organichu
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I did 15 this morning, and it was really relaxed. I decided to do the stereotypical art museum run, and almost got hit by four hundred and eighteen buses. It was fun.

Now I'm relaxing.

redFury
06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
While mildly intoxicated I discovered that I'm amazing at Soul Calibur 3.

That's always nice to know... :thumbup:

I did 15 this morning, and it was really relaxed. I decided to do the stereotypical art museum run, and almost got hit by four hundred and eighteen buses. It was fun.

Now I'm relaxing.

If almost getting hit by buses is considered relaxing I can't imagine what makes you anxious haha. Nice running man... what's on tap for your runs this week?

Organichu
06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
haha

Normally I decide once my running week (Thursday to Wednesday) has concluded, but I'm getting early ideas this time: I think I'm going to take off Thursday and Friday (first time I've ever had off two days in a row) and then try 26.2 miles on Saturday.

mikesbytes
06-04-2007, 09:16 PM
haha

Normally I decide once my running week (Thursday to Wednesday) has concluded, but I'm getting early ideas this time: I think I'm going to take off Thursday and Friday (first time I've ever had off two days in a row) and then try 26.2 miles on Saturday.

Full distance, thats cool.

mister manager
06-05-2007, 07:41 AM
just curious are you taking in liquids during your runs? and if you are how are you doing it?
like as my runs get longer it would be nice to be able to drink some water along the run but im not sure how to carry it.

Organichu
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
just curious are you taking in liquids during your runs? and if you are how are you doing it?
like as my runs get longer it would be nice to be able to drink some water along the run but im not sure how to carry it.

Hah, I was troubled by this question at first too. I'm sure there are better answers than mine (since I didn't feel like buying any little contraptions or carrying containers) but I opted for a more simple approach. :)

At the beginning of this endeavor I went to four different stores spread around the city (one in Chinatown, one around 7th, I think? and Bainbridge, one around University of Pennsylvania, and one near my house). I worked out a deal paying for drinks in advance. They all seemed pretty 'ok' with the idea. So I run with a little card I worked out the stores and they just let me take drinks- an easy (and safe) alternative to running with money/my credit card.

On the few occasions where I ran before they were open, I carried two bottles in a really light backpack. I HATED doing this, and don't advise it at all.

If anyone has a better idea for this problem, go ahead and let me know. :)

Chubrock
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Steal the drinks?

Organichu
06-05-2007, 11:28 AM
lol, highly efficient.

Chubrock
06-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Exactly, and you'll get to work on your speed even more.

Rock Steady
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Great idea on the drinks! Keep up the good work.

mikesbytes
06-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Are you drinking drinks with a sugar base?

Organichu
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
:blush:

I have less than optimal nutrition when I'm running.

Ideas?

mikesbytes
06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Reason I ask, is that I'm thinking of the 20mile wall/bonk that some runners experience. In my day they use to discuss training issues and the conversion of fat to energy, but the real issue was not running out of glycogen in the first place and the body can more easily convert some digested sugar into glycogen than to convert some fat.

Recommend that you do a bit of research on this, as its the only risk apart from injury left.

Organichu
06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Will do, chief. :)

I've been up far too late. Tomorrow morning is my longest run ever (22 miles).

Wish me luck! Night.

mikesbytes
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Good Luck (as requested)

redFury
06-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Rip through the 22 big man... it will be cake for ya

Organichu
06-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Wow.

That's probably the most challenging thing I've done in my life lol.

I finished, though. :)

Chubrock
06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Haha so how was it?

Organichu
06-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Chub: it was... troubling lol. Weirdly enough I don't remember it in detail even though it only happened a few days ago.

I'm going to Israel, all. Not sure how often I'll be able to update (if at all) this summer.

Hope to talk to some of you soon.

Chubrock
06-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey man, I dunno if you'll read this before you go, but see if you can pick up the short story "The Long Walk." It is a Stephen King short story he wrote as Richard Bauchman. It is a great read and will fit in nicely with your marathon stuff.

North
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Good luck in Israel

Organichu
06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Chub: just finished reading your recommendation. That was really awesome.

I haven't been running much (only 30 or so miles in the 9 or so days I've been here), but I haven't spent a single day being completely lazy. I've gone swimming and exploring quite a bit.

I'll kick up the running again soon.

redFury
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
great to hear you're enjoying yourself out there... let us know how the running in the middle east goes

Organichu
06-21-2007, 05:22 AM
I finally hit the weights now that I've been here... threw up some singles.

My total is still up around 1175-1225 by my estimate, only equipment being straps for deads. Also, the squats are ATF.

Bodyweight is just about 179.

I can definitely be pleased with totaling over 6.75 times my BW. :)

mikesbytes
06-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Hows the running going

Organichu
06-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Hows the running going

:blush:

I vow to be ready to run 26 miles and change ~ 2 months from today in approximately 3.5 hours.

Even if I'm not running much now lol.

Coke
06-22-2007, 06:15 AM
I vow to be ready to run 26 miles and change ~ 2 months from today in approximately 3.5 hours.

Even if I'm not running much now lol.

I hope so man, you know you got to keep with it or else - :D

TwiloMike
06-22-2007, 07:23 AM
How's the daily Running Of The Jews over there? ;)

Organichu
06-28-2007, 06:10 AM
lol Mike.

I'm slowly working back up. Went for 8 today.

Organichu
07-27-2007, 12:58 AM
My time back in the country has been well spent... I've been pretty busy and so haven't updated this.

I have been running, though. I've had some crappy sleeping habits, but thankfully my weight leveled off (175). My waist is below 32... first time in a long while for that.

I'm probably around 60/wk right now.

mikesbytes
07-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Welcome back.

175lbs is dam light, you should fly

bjohnso
07-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow man, you are one hell of a runner. I take it you run competitively?

redFury
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
60 miles a week is pretty solid... glad you enjoyed your trip out east.

Organichu
07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Wow man, you are one hell of a runner. I take it you run competitively?

I did x-country for a year or two in high school. Other than that, though, no. This will be my first race.

Mike: thanks! :)

fury: Thanks dude... I figure, rather than roughing it back up to 75 again, I'll just work on speed now that the race is moving closer.

bjohnso
07-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Good luck with the race! How long is it, and when is it?

Organichu
07-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Good luck with the race! How long is it, and when is it?

:)

The race is 26.2 miles. It's it's in about 3.5 weeks.

Organichu
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
I've pretty much been doing long runs... pretty relaxed at this point. 18 on Saturday, 18 this morning.

Yesterday was a year that my mom died, so I wasn't sure if I could get back on the road today and put it aside... but I managed to, and I'm the better for it. I'm pretty sure momma wouldn't have wanted me to let go of my goals because of grief.

bjohnso
08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry about your mom. She'd probably be pretty damn proud of you for being as dedicated as you are. 26.2 miles - I get tired driving that far. Good luck with the race! How long did it take you to run 22 miles?

Organichu
08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry about your mom. She'd probably be pretty damn proud of you for being as dedicated as you are. 26.2 miles - I get tired driving that far.

Thanks, dude.

When she was alive, I don't think I could have run 2.62 miles lol. I would have died on the spot. My mom died because of heart complications, though, so I figured it'd be my own little personal homage to her if I could preemptively extinguish those weaknesses in my own body.

Good luck with the race! How long did it take you to run 22 miles?

I'm not entirely sure, I didn't time it. Thanks for the well wishes! Race is in less than 3 weeks.

bjohnso
08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
That's pretty deep. Heart disease is prevalent in my family as well. As I get older I'm becoming more aware of it, and I don't think it needs to be said that the bodybuilding lifestyle isn't kind to the heart muscle. I'm about to eat a 1500 calorie pizza right now because time is tight, and frozen food is easy and quick...but damn, I'll tell you, it's going to catch up to me eventually.

Organichu
08-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Yeah... it's a scary thought. I know I don't do everything I can do, but I try to do something so I can go to sleep at night feeling like I'm not disrespecting her memory.

BTW... if anyone happens to pass 10th and Arch today and sees a streak of blood outside the music store... that was me.

I think that's the first time I ever tripped while running. What I want to know, and I mean this solemnly- why are people walking their kids in coaches at 5:15 in the morning?

Why?

:(

mikesbytes
08-07-2007, 05:48 AM
Ouch, are you hurt?

Organichu
08-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Ouch, are you hurt?

Not badly. I have a pretty nasty laceration on my right arm, and since I didn't have any money on me while running I had to wait until I got home to sanitize and dress the wound. It's tolerable now, though.

Organichu
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh yeah- the distance was like 9 miles before I got wrecked lol.

Organichu
08-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Ok, it's 4 AM, and my arm doesn't hurt very much. Considering running or benching... my vanity muscles lay forgotten!

It's a daunting challenge. Run or bench.

I'll update in a few hours once I've come to a decision.:whiner:

Organichu
08-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Decided not to bench because of my arm... it feels alright but I'd hate to open it again.

Went for 5 miles. Time was pretty was good, and I wasn't even breathing heavily. It's really cool to run for 35 minutes and not take a deep breath.

Organichu
08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Ran another 5 today... time for bed.

mikesbytes
08-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Where do you think you are in relation to the upcoming Marathon?

Organichu
08-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Where do you think you are in relation to the upcoming Marathon?

Well, my longest ever (unless I misjudged distance) was 24... I've touched 20 and over probably a solid dozen times by now.

I think I'll be alright. I'll probably go really long a couple more times, maybe try to ramp it up to 26 once or twice, then rest until race day- which is in about 2 weeks now.

Organichu
08-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Did 14 pretty easily.

Organichu
08-10-2007, 05:58 AM
16. Not bad- ate before hand which left me feeling a little tenuous.

bjohnso
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Damn dude, you are a running machine!

Organichu
08-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Damn dude, you are a running machine!

I do my best. :)

Just woke up, I accidentally fell asleep in all of my clothes last night- not sure why I was so tired.

I think I'll squat today.

redFury
08-11-2007, 07:44 AM
You are going to obliterate this race... how do you plan on resting up for it? A least 3-4 days completely off to let your body heal I hope!

Organichu
08-11-2007, 09:38 AM
You are going to obliterate this race... how do you plan on resting up for it? A least 3-4 days completely off to let your body heal I hope!

I was actually going to ask in here a week before the race, but now that you bring it up I guess I'll ask now.

How would ya'll recommend resting up? My plan was a really long run (22-24 miles) a week before, then about half of that (11-12) 5 days before, then rest.

Is 5 days of rest too much?

Organichu
08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
squats were along the line of 325x4, atf.

mikesbytes
08-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Is 5 days of rest too much?

Do some research on that some say to rest, some say to reduce intensity, some say to maintain intensity and reduce duration.

bjohnso
08-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought you would be rather week since you are a distance runner. I was wrong. :redface:

Organichu
08-12-2007, 04:03 AM
I thought you would be rather week since you are a distance runner. I was wrong. :redface:

Hah, I've been distance running for, what, 4 or 5 months now? Something like that. I've been lifting for size and strength for several years... thankfully my body manages to retain strength alright.

Before I started running I was totaling maybe 1250... I've lost probably about 60 lbs of that.

Organichu
08-12-2007, 04:50 AM
No way I can run today... my legs are pretty much numb from nonstop running and then the squats.

I think I'll go panhandle with my guitar. I will solicit for money and "favors".

Organichu
08-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I decided not to solicit but I did play guitar in public.

Organichu
08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Did 10 or 11 segmented sprints. I took a good bit of recovery time... started at 4:30, didn't finish until like 8:00 am.

It's pretty damned sunny. :(

Organichu
08-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Today is a long day of Ron Paul campaigning.

mikesbytes
08-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Today is a long day of Ron Paul campaigning.

Huh?

Organichu
08-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Huh?

Ron Paul is a candidate for the presidential election in '08.

Organichu
08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Race is a week from tomorrow- getting butterflies!

Sidior
08-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Tear it up at the race man. You have trained you ass off and earned it!

Organichu
08-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Tear it up at the race man. You have trained you ass off and earned it!

Thanks, man. :)

I did 24 today.

bjohnso
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
So are you going to rest the week leading up to the race?

Organichu
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
So are you going to rest the week leading up to the race?

I think I'm gonna' do one more lengthy run- maybe 12-16.

Organichu
08-18-2007, 08:57 AM
I think I'm gonna' do one more lengthy run- maybe 12-16.

I did 15.

I may do a few sprints between now and the race- depending on what my body's telling me. Even if I don't, though, I feel prepared. :)

Clifford Gillmore
08-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Ruuunn Organichu, RUUUUUUNN!

Good luck man!

Organichu
08-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Ruuunn Organichu, RUUUUUUNN!

Good luck man!

Thanks dude. Weren't you the first one to post in this thread, months and months ago lol?

It's been an awesome journey. I can't wait to start squatting again, though. Mmmm.

Organichu
08-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I benched today. 245x6x3.

TwiloMike
08-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I benched today. 245x6x3.

iHate you.

Organichu
08-19-2007, 10:07 AM
iHate you.

Apple slut!

I sort of got into a scuffle this morning. Some total douche slapped me in the back of the head at the bus stop because I was letting the older people get on first.

"Nigga, I ain't got time for you to be polite".

Pretty proud of myself for handling it without violence.

bjohnso
08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Apple slut!

I sort of got into a scuffle this morning. Some total douche slapped me in the back of the head at the bus stop because I was letting the older people get on first.

"Nigga, I ain't got time for you to be polite".

Pretty proud of myself for handling it without violence.

Wow. Wannabe gangsta? I'm surprised he did that to you, judging by your lifts you must be pretty jacked! Lucky the little thug picked someone as calm-tempered as you.

Organichu
08-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Wow. Wannabe gangsta? I'm surprised he did that to you, judging by your lifts you must be pretty jacked! Lucky the little thug picked someone as calm-tempered as you.

Hah, total wannabe gangsta.

I'm not 'enormous', but I'm definitely bigger than average. I hold 175-180 better than most guys my height. I have a pretty thick chest-back, solid legs, and nice shoulders. I think I have the smallest arms of any human being to ever bench over 300 lbs, though. lol

mikesbytes
08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
I thought "******" was a solely a nasty racial term. That guy is a complete idiot. You were sensible not to get involved, could of had a knife or a gun.

What's your estimate for the upcoming Marathon?

Organichu
08-19-2007, 06:07 PM
I thought "******" was a solely a nasty racial term. That guy is a complete idiot. You were sensible not to get involved, could of had a knife or a gun.

How do you know I'm white? ;)

...ok, I'm white lol.

Many people use it as a racial pejorative... but for many others it's almost synonymous with 'man' or 'dude' or any number of pronouns, haha.

What's your estimate for the upcoming Marathon?

3:12:30... tentatively.

bjohnso
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
So I take it you were into powerlifting, not bodybuilding, before you picked up distance running?

Organichu
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
So I take it you were into powerlifting, not bodybuilding, before you picked up distance running?

Yup!

Well, powerbuilding I guess. I didn't follow any strict powerlifting regimen, but I did mostly compound lifts for low reps/high weight. DL is my strongest lift, I'd say, and I've never used chains or bands or anything.

bjohnso
08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do too. I've busted out some chains recently and I like them. How tall are you? A 1250 total at 180 is pretty impressive, if that was your weight when you had the 1250.

Organichu
08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I totaled 1250 months ago when I started this running thing.

If I had to guess right now I'd put my bench at 310, dead at 505, and squat at 380. That's 1195@175, 6.82 bw.

I put 5 lbs on my dead, lost 5 lbs on my bench, and lost about 55 lbs on my squat. By estimate.

I haven't squatted while not fatigued by running in a long time now. My squat might be higher.

Organichu
08-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Lol I couldn't tuck in my shirt this morning, I seriously had my little brother do it. Fricking DOMS.

Patz
08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Marathon running?

Where have I been??

Organichu
08-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Marathon running?

Where have I been??

That's what I've been wondering.:redface:

Organichu
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Mmmmm, churrasco.

I think I had 215,000 calories today.

redFury
08-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Its amazing you've kept so much strength while doing your marathon training!

Organichu
08-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Game time, guys. Wish me luck.

bjohnso
08-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Good luck dude. When is it again?

Organichu
08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
It was several hours ago. I could qualify for Boston/NY if I wanted to. Instead, I'll probably never run more than 10 miles again.

It was fun, running people. I'm going to go into a coma for nine years, now.

bjohnso
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
How did you place? What was your time?

mikesbytes
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
How did you place? What was your time?

Yeh, what happened?

Organichu
08-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure how I placed since I booked before everything came together (had a three hour drive ahead of me), but I expect I placed first in my age category.

3:14:07.

redFury
08-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Awesome time man! How did it feel...?

TwiloMike
08-24-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure how I placed since I booked before everything came together (had a three hour drive ahead of me), but I expect I placed first in my age category.

That rocks! Congrats, man! :D

mikesbytes
08-24-2007, 11:42 PM

3:14:07 that's fantastic!

Organichu
08-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks all.

It went okay. It was a relatively small loop almost 10 times, and hundreds of people, so at times it felt a little clogged. However, people were very polite about passing, and there was a good atmosphere. Lots of aid stations, like practically one every mile, and lots of hanger-ons to scream support. :) The 'group' was kind of bizarre, but definitely friendly.

Right after I finished, I thought "I could do Philly... that'd be easy, I could qualify for Boston and eventually NY", and then just thought: nah. I'm never running a marathon again lol. I'm taking a few days, and then I'll probably make a new journal about my next phase of fitness.

Patz
08-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Good job, John. I was just going back and reading some of the earlier posts in here. You came a long way! And you lost at least 30lbs??

What marathon was that?