PDA

View Full Version : A fitday.com..for the older less computer oriented folks

slick
03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Trying to get my parents started on something, as they see how concerned i am with nutrition now.

Now my moms a secretary, so she is computer oriented, but as far as my father goes, he doesnt know how to turn the darn thing on. Which eliminates my idea of "Mom track your food and caloric intake on fitday.com, its so easy to use, and you can see real numbers and make goals etc etc."

So im looking for option two, no computer, way to track and or another method to weight loss or noting caloric intake.

I have really determined myself to accomplish shedding some pounds off the old pop, (220lbs maybe, but short in height) and the mother for that matter, just to get them looking good, feeling better about themselves etc.

We do have a treadmill, but joining a gym would be out of the question for them.

Anyone have any ideas? sorry on the long read.:windup:

ArchAngel777
03-29-2007, 09:10 AM
There are a lot of options you have.

1) You can just look at their current diet and elimated a few small things that are calorie dense that they are willing to give up. If they simply give up a few small items, that alone will start their weight loss. As time goes on, you keep replacing not so good foods with more healthy, less calorie dense foods. Really, quite honestly, I don't believe the average person needs to track every calorie. What they need to do is limit the junk excess from their diets and they will rebound back to a "reasonable" weight. They might not be ripped, but being healthy isn't about being ripped.

Some Ideas

A) Replace sugar with Splenda
B) Add veggies before the main course
C) Replace Soda/Juice with water or their sugar free counterparts
D) Choose leaner meats. Example: Instead of 74/26 ground beef, go to 93/7
E) Use spices rather than high calorie additives when possible.

2) You could have them track everything on pen and paper. Then you can view it and enter it into Fitday yourself for them, or you can enter it into excel and break it down.

Good Luck!

RedSpikeyThing
03-29-2007, 10:35 AM
There are some good tips in the third question of this (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=294) edition of "get built".

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
You could always get him to use the good ol' pen and paper and log things into a journal. He can still track his calories/progress/etc., but it will just take a bit longer.