PDA

View Full Version : cardio diet

plornive
02-21-2002, 12:34 PM
How should I formulate my diet to maintain weight when I am doing regular cardio? I do 45 minutes of lifting (high intensity) 4 times per week plus 45 minutes of cardio 4 times per week (somewhat intense). I am trying to improve my cardio fitness for a variety of reasons, including improving the ability of my muscles to burn fat so the next time I cut it will be easier.

So, are there strategies I can follow to make sure my cardio doesn't eat up the glycogen my lifting would otherwise use while maintaining? Should I eat a high-carb, moderate-protein, very-low-fat diet? I know everyone's different, but I'm just trying to gather ideas. Also, when cutting, how should I formulate my diet when I am doing cardio vs. not doing cardio? How much cardio is ok on a cutting diet?

Thanks.

hemants
02-21-2002, 01:22 PM
1. If you are cutting, eat less calories than you expend.

2. You can cycle the calories up and down a bit depending on the day. eg. if your target is 2500 calories per day, take 2300 on cardio days and 2700 on lifting days with the difference being in your post workout meal.

3. Don't decrease your protein intake, just take whatever has been working for muscle growth and cut your fat to about 20% of total calories and use low GI carbs to make up the difference.

4. Timing of meals is important too. Try not to eat before cardio and wait an hour after.

5. Cardio intensity should depend on your goals. If you don't want to lose muscle, do low intensity. If, however, cardio fitness and rapid weight loss is also a goal, you can up the intensity but you will probably compromise more muscle that way. It's a tradeoff you should experiment with.

plornive
02-21-2002, 02:11 PM
Oh, I get it. So lifting days are more anabolic, while cardio days are when I burn the majority of the fat... I'll try that.

I do both cardio and lifting on one day, with cardio in the morning and lifting from 6-8 pm. Think I should switch that cardio to a less intense cardio, or quick interval training, or just skip either weights or cardio? Or should I do both and just eat the higher of the two caloric amounts?

My schedule:

M T W Th F S Su
C C C C
L L L L

C = cardio in morning
L = lift midday or evening

hemants
02-21-2002, 02:19 PM
My suggestion would be to condense your routine to three days a week of lifting

M - chest/tris
T - cardio
W-back/bi's
Th - cardio
F - legs/delts
weekend - cardio

On lifting days, you can do a bit of cardio after you lift but make sure your total workout (including lifting) is an hour or less.

reso
02-21-2002, 02:38 PM
me says CARDIO EVIL :/

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2002, 02:53 PM
me says cardio is your friend, in certain quantities :)

Budiak
02-21-2002, 02:56 PM
cardio BAD!

plornive
02-21-2002, 03:02 PM
CARDIO, at one point, took me from being somewhat lean to very hard. I think it really burned fat well, and also brought some fat from under the skin to inside of my muscles. If you are going to mass, however, I agree that it may not be the best thing.

Oops, my schedule didn't appear as I thought it would, oh well.

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2002, 03:07 PM
and also brought some fat from under the skin to inside of my muscles :confused:

plornive
02-21-2002, 04:22 PM
Well, maybe I'm wrong...
If you exercise your slow-twitch fibers a lot (cardio), then doesn't subcutaneous fat move more into the muscles (but in a different way than what causes insulin resistance)? That is what I have read. Either I burned a lot of fat, or a combination of that and what I just talked about.