PDA

View Full Version : I need a good book

BFGUITAR
03-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Im going to be living alone next year far from my caf in residence. I need a good all around book to learn how to cook and make tastey healthy dishes!

Any help?

Mik
03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
I've got one called 1000 recipes. It's got...well....1000 recipes in it oddly enough. It also has tips for cooking etc...

Really good book. I don't follow it to the T but use it more for inspiration to bastardize their recipes.

McIrish
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Guitar, eschew the book in favor of the internet. If you *must* use recipes, check out food network's website. You can't go wrong with most of the ones they put on there. Also, if you're just learning to cook in the first place (you said you needed a book to learn "how to cook" rather than "how to cook a few specific meals"), I'd highly recommend ditching the book. You can teach yourself how to sautee, fry, grill, broil, etc., far better than any book can explain it.

Alex.V
03-30-2007, 12:55 PM
The Joy of Cooking.

You need nothing else.

For serious.

Roddy
04-11-2007, 09:06 PM
30 minute meals

Genacide
04-12-2007, 02:06 PM
If you sin up at Kraft foods they send you a magazine quarterly and email updates with tons of recipes. Also you can make a virtual cookbook with recipes from the site.

They like to promote their products, but I substitue in healthy alternatives.

Cardio Bunny
05-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Alton Brown has a couple books, "I'm just here for the food", and "I'm just here for more food". They aren't your typical cookbook, they actually teach instead of just listing recipes.

He also has a show on the food network that's great, "Good Eats".

TheGimp
05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
The Joy of Cooking.

You need nothing else.

For serious.

:withstupi

RedSpikeyThing
05-02-2007, 05:24 PM
If you don't know how to cook, I would reccomend "Clueless in the Kitchen". It explains absoloutely everything and has some good and easy meals in it.
In terms of healthy stuff, I beleive Berardi has a cook book out. It has some very good recipies.